Goodbye Jesus

The war on Christians

webmdave

I :wub: Bill Maher.

Personally, I think Xtians want to be persecuted. So they're doing the "oh we're so persecuted" routine in hopes that they can drum up some "real" persecution.

Bill Maher is a god. thumbsup.gif

Christianity doesn't just want persecution, it needs it to survive--or, at least, the illusion thereof. The babble tells them their lives will be made difficult precisely because they believe in the "Christ," so in order to maintain the illusion of being "God's chosen people," they're forced to manufacture that "persecution" all the time.

Loved it!

" they're forced to manufacture that "persecution" all the time.

Isn't that bearing false witness against your neighbor?

I like that "If you are going to be that paranoid, just get high!" lol

Guest Grizzle

Absolutely hilarious video.

And as for the Christian persecution thing... I agree with, well, basically everybody that posted before me. xtians need to be persecuted to keep their own worldview intact... when most of the people in a country claim to follow Jesus, then his words about being countercultural.. well, just don't make sense anymore, then do they? The book falls apart when they're in the majority, and it's part of why I fell out.

I'm sure a lot of it goes back to the jewish "we are the people of an angry and jealous god so we must suffer" school of thought.

I think that life does involve some degree of suffering, and it's true that many times when you want to live out your values, there will be some friction from the people around you...

... but it can be frustrating to deal with a mindset where, if there's no friction, that means "God's opening our way for us" and if there's lots of friction and suffering, it's chalked up as "Satan trying to stop us" or "people oppressing us because we're right."

Sometimes there is conflict and suffering because a person [i.e., the Christian in this example] is doing the wrong thing or is causing confrontation that is unnecessary... and they need to embrace that and change what they are doing.

I think that has been one of my largest disappointments, when it just really became clear to me that many times people who profess Christianity (and perhaps other religions have the same problems) end up creating problems where there were none to begin with... because their solution box is far too small. Their reaction/solution actually makes the situation harder to resolve and does more damage over the long-term.

In any case, suffering is part of life and growth, I think... but there is a lot more to life than suffering. You're allowed to actually be happy. :wry:

You're right, Jenny. With my very slow internet connection it's extremely difficult to watch videos so I didn't watch this one. But I know a lot about the persecution complex. It can be used to manipulate others into giving a person pretty much anything that person wants. And if it doesn't work--if the target person does not respond as desired, a mighty powerful major guilt trip is the next order on the agenda for that person. I try to stay FAAARRR away from such people.

There was a thread recently about "oxymorons" in xianity. This is probably the biggest one: persecuted christians! In this day and age...give me a fucking break PLEASE!!

There was a thread recently about "oxymorons" in xianity. This is probably the biggest one: persecuted christians! In this day and age...give me a fucking break PLEASE!!

Well, you know how bad it hurts to not have the Ten Commandments outside some courthouse 3000 miles away or being able to wear your WWJD wrist bracelet to school without being teased...

Life is suffering.

Personally, I think Xtians want to be persecuted. So they're doing the "oh we're so persecuted" routine in hopes that they can drum up some "real" persecution.

Bill Maher is a god. thumbsup.gif

Absolutley, the amount of Born Agains I've met who love to bring up "when christians were persecuted" in a conversation....