Goodbye Jesus

Religion Scholars Meet Pasta Monster

a skeptical believer

News:

The tale of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and its followers cuts to the heart of the one of the thorniest questions in religious studies: What defines a religion? Does it require a genuine theological belief? Or simply a set of rituals and a community joining together as a way of signaling their cultural alliances to others?

In short, is an anti-religion like Flying Spaghetti Monsterism actually a religion?

Religious Scholars Meet Pasta Monster article

Lucas Johnston, the third Florida student, argues the Flying Spaghetti Monsterism exhibits at least some of the traits of a traditional religion — including, perhaps, that deep human need to feel like there's something bigger than oneself out there.

He recognized the point when his neighbor, a militant atheist who sports a pro-Darwin bumper sticker on her car, tried recently to start her car on a dying battery.

As she turned the key, she murmured under her breath: "Come on Spaghetti Monster!"

Well hello, Mr. Johnston! My name is Sarcastic Figure of Speech! How are you today? :rolleyes:

As she turned the key, she murmured under her breath: "Come on Spaghetti Monster!"

Well hello, Mr. Johnston! My name is Sarcastic Figure of Speech! How are you today? :rolleyes:

The bigger question is did the car start? Did the FSM answer her prayer? I bet it did and they left that part out for fear of turning more people to the true path.

mwc