Goodbye Jesus

Greek And Egyptian Gods

Evolution_beyond

I've heard a lot about paganism in Norse or Celtic forms. But I'm curious - does anybody ever worship Greek gods or Egyptian gods anymore?

I personally think that the Egyptian and Greek pantheons are the coolest :grin:

Guest Ephesos

Sure they do - count me among them; as ecclectic pagan, I'm not limited to "one pantheon" or whatever.

a friend of mine is a high priest of Bast. Another one is one of Osiris... enough egypt there for you? ;)

as for greek pantheon - I deal with Artemis and Hecate from time to time...

but, just btw - I don't consider them "cool". Either they fit (a situation or a person), or they don't...

I honored the Greek pantheon when I was a Greek Reconstructionist pagan. I had a particular affinity for the Titanides and various other protodeities (such as Eurynome, Erebus, Nyx, and so on).

• 4 weeks later...
I've heard a lot about paganism in Norse or Celtic forms. But I'm curious - does anybody ever worship Greek gods or Egyptian gods anymore?

Yep, I worship the Greek Gods, here.

I really enjoy the Greek philosophers, too, who had some pretty different views of the Gods than the general population.

I, too, am a pagan that clobbers other religious systems over their heads and rifles through their pockets for loose concepts (eclectic doesn't do this justice). Probably the two most common gods (or god-archetypes / deity-constructs) I deal with are Greek: Hephaestus and Athena. Don't know that much about the Egyptian pantheon, so I don't do much with them.

A great book on this subject is called Wicca: The Complete Craft by DJ Conway.

Thoth is pretty cool. I like Thoth.

Yay!

thoth.gif

I am into "synchromysticism", which is recently defined branch of pantheism. One gentleman who sprouted this idea believes that Thoth somehow connects symbolically to Scrooge McDuck from the DuckTales cartoons. Far out I'll say, but damn intriguing.

One gentleman who sprouted this idea believes that Thoth somehow connects symbolically to Scrooge McDuck from the DuckTales cartoons. Far out I'll say, but damn intriguing.

The only thing I know about Thoth is that he's the Egyptian God of magic and writing. But in ancient times, he was syncretically linked with Hermes, especially as Hermes became Hermes Trismegistus. I know a lot more about Hermes than I do Thoth.

So, Uncle $crooge has a magic dime? A sharp mind? Finds a golden egg? Has an extensive personal library? Travels the world having numerous adventures? Learns dozens of languages? Carries a staff? And of course, is almost always surrounded by wealth? That does indeed seem to fit right in.

Thoth

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

For other meanings of "Thoth", or of "Djehuti" and similar, see Thoth (disambiguation).

Thoth, in one of his forms as an ibis-headed manThoth (his Greek name derived from the Egyptian *á¸iḥautÄ«, written by Egyptians as á¸á¸¥wty) was considered one of the most important deities of the Egyptian pantheon, often depicted with the head of an Ibis. His feminine counterpart was Ma'at.[1] His chief shrine was at Khemennu, where he was the head of the local company of gods, later renamed Hermopolis by the Greeks (in reference to him through the Greeks' interpretation that he was the same as Hermes) and Eshmûnên by the Arabs. He also had shrines in Abydos, Hesert, Urit, Per-Ab, Rekhui, Ta-ur, Sep, Hat, Pselket, Talmsis, Antcha-Mutet, Bah, Amen-heri-ab, and Ta-kens.[2]

He was considered the heart and tongue of Ra as well as the means by which Ra's will was translated into speech.[3] He has also been likened to the Logos of Plato[3] and the mind of God.[4] (see The All) In the Egyptian mythology, he has played many vital and prominent roles, including being one of the two gods (the other being Ma'at) who stood on either side of Ra's boat.[5] He has further been involved in arbitration,[6] magic, writing, science,[7] and the judging of the dead.[8]

• 3 months later...

Although it has been awhile since I studied the Egyptian gods with great detail, I still feel strongly connected to Bast, Isis and Ma'at. The Greek deities usually pissed me off, so I do not meddle with them often.

I am strongly connected to Bastet. She and Loki are my primary gods. They picked me. I don't really worship them. I communicate with them and ask their advice. Often, I wonder if they are actual deities or just my mind communicating with itself in an interesting way. They are fine with that.

Guest Zenobia
I am strongly connected to Bastet. She and Loki are my primary gods. They picked me. I don't really worship them. I communicate with them and ask their advice. Often, I wonder if they are actual deities or just my mind communicating with itself in an interesting way. They are fine with that.

I am also strongly connected to Bastet and to Sekhmet, the lion-headed Goddess. They really resonate with me, especially Bast. I also feel contected to Isis, and some of the Greco/Roman female warrior/hunter women: Diana, Athena/Minerva...

I often light a candle for someone and let them watch over it. This is a great ritual for focusing energy, I think because psychologically you connect with the goddess who is watching over the candle and therefore you send out more healing energy. Just a theory.

They are symbols more to me rather than actual dieties... but then in my view, all goddeses are manifestations of divine nature in her many forms.

• 1 month later...

I regard myself as a spiritual atheist. I'm open to the possibility of the existence of a god, but I don't believe in or follow one.

When it comes to Egyptian gods, I always found Anubis fascinating.

• 3 weeks later...
I regard myself as a spiritual atheist. I'm open to the possibility of the existence of a god, but I don't believe in or follow one.

When it comes to Egyptian gods, I always found Anubis fascinating.

Of the Egyptian Gods, he was one of my favorites as well. Thoth, too.

I don't feel particularly called to the Egyptian pantheon, though. I pretty much stick with the Greeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Set in draconian setanism

Apep and Typhon in anticosmic satanism

Set in draconian setanism

Apep and Typhon in anticosmic satanism

Whatever floats your boat, man.

But personally I prefer Anubis and Thoth.