Goodbye Jesus

Christian Music

Brother Jeff

Anybody still listen to Christian music, even occasionally? I don't very often, but right now I'm listening to some really old Amy Grant stuff. I like the music, even though I no longer believe or agree with the message. I can still enjoy it, but I'm also repulsed by it at the same time, considering what being involved in Christianity did to me and how much I wish I had never been religious.

I still listen to some now and then, but I always liked the 'edgier' Christian music, stuff that didn't have lyrics ripped word for word from the scriptures (like Petra).

I've been digging into some normal (non-Christian) music I listened to during high school and college ever since my deconversion not long ago. But yeah, there's still some Christian stuff I enjoy, mostly because I can't find anything else like it. Telecast and Enter The Worship Circle are two good examples. But it's not the same to listen to it, and even sing along with it, when the words carry little value anymore.

I seldom feel the urge to listen to contemporary Christian type music. But I very much enjoy Russian church music, chants and classical type religious music. I still love Handel's Messiah. Very rarely I will think I even want to drop in a local Baptist church just to sing the hymns (haven't done it yet). I put it down to pure nostalgia, and too much of it would definately bother me.

Just because I don't believe the dogma anymore doesn't mean I have to throw out the aesthetic aspects of the religion (and some of the symbolism) that were appealing.

I'm considering taking all my Xian CDs out to the country someday and doing some "skeet" shooting...

I have one LP that I like to listen to now and then, but it's not your typical Christian blah, blah pop music stuff. It's an older LP by John Michael Talbot with music to the poems of St. Francis of Assisi, called Troubadour of the Great King. It's beautiful poetry from the 1100's. He was really quite the nature boy and wrote a lot of religious poetry around this sentiment.

That's about the only one I listen to. The rest of most Christian music is just pop blah, blah music with contrived lyrics that in my opinion just suck.

I liked christian music. And listened to it exclusively during various phases over the years. Early on I listened to Keith Green, Amy Grant, Twila Paris, Randy Stonehill, Michael Card, Michael English, Steven Curtis Chapman.

Later on it was groups like MercyMe, Point of Grace, Casting Crowns, Watermark.

And I gotta disagree with Antlerman. Some of this music was quite good, and the songwriters who wrote some of these songs are extremely talented.

But I don't listen to them anymore. Ever.

I think it's because satan won't let me.

And I gotta disagree with Antlerman. Some of this music was quite good, and the songwriters who wrote some of these songs are extremely talented.

Disagree with me? That's bold. :grin:

Actually, if it's of any consolation, I dislike the vast majority of secular pop music as well. So it's not so much the sappy Christian lyrics per se, it the sappy anything lyrics of most pop music. My favorite artist of modern times is Frank Zappa, because he was not just a brilliant and highly talented musical genius, but on top of that he took popular music, turned it on its head in a satirical mockery of it, and then turned out incredible works of music in the popular genera that shames everything that the music machine turns out like so much cookie-cutter same old, same old.

So no, Amy Grant doesn't impress me any more than Britney Spears, or whoever's 'hip' these days. But I can see where some of them might come across a few catchy little hooks in their tunes.

Or maybe your tastes are maturing? :wicked:

I don't think so - somewhere along the way I lost track of the newer music - and I listen to it often on the radio, but I don't know the artists anymore.(and I don't really connect with that music either) So, I've gone completely retro and the only music I buy now is old stuff that was popular when I was in HS & college. Stuff like the Doobie Brothers, Boston, ZZ Topp, Eric Clapton, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, Janis Ian, B.W. Stevenson, The Eagles, old Elton John (in his early days, before his stuff went to shit) .

Thank the gods for amazon.com.

I don't think so - somewhere along the way I lost track of the newer music - and I listen to it often on the radio, but I don't know the artists anymore.(and I don't really connect with that music either) So, I've gone completely retro and the only music I buy now is old stuff that was popular when I was in HS & college. Stuff like the Doobie Brothers, Boston, ZZ Topp, Eric Clapton, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, Janis Ian, B.W. Stevenson, The Eagles, old Elton John (in his early days, before his stuff went to shit) .

Thank the gods for amazon.com.

Which is why whenever you go to chain restaurants, or some shopping centers the music you'll here is stuff from that time, and not the current pop music so much. The reason is because you're their target because you have the cash. Make you happy, spend your money with them. "Hang around, buy a few more beers. We like you. See, we're even playing 'your' music." The problem with this is that when we're in our 70's we'll be subjected to the music of this generation and start praying for deafness to save us.

It makes me wonder if the same thing is true in churches today, where the music in the sanctuaries has started to play more of the 'pop' Christian music when we were in our 20's and the old folk are just rolling with it because they're less important to the coffers now? Target those in the prime earning years with tunes that inspire them to GIVE! "See, this church really knows how to connect with you. We love you. Now show the Lord how much you love him buy giving to us!" It's all a big scheme to milk people of their sheckles, like so many lambs.

(This is why they should only play music in the public domain, like Classical. That would make me happy). :wicked:

I have a few songs by "Sovereign Grace"; the lead female vocalist has a really pretty voice, but I don't listen to them anymore. I don't listen to any Christian music anymore, although I have a few Jewish songs -- helps that they're in Hebrew so I don't know the lyrics.

The closest thing I listen to is Christopher Tin's "Baba Yetu": it's "the Lord's Prayer" sung in Swahili.

There's not much of it I like anymore, save for some classical music that is religious in nature but has no preachy lyrics.

I'm not much of a bubble-gum pop music fan either. I don't connect with a lot of "modern" music but I do like some of the bluesy-rock type stuff. I also like jazz and classic rock. I just don't really like much of the music after 1990 or so. Oh, and I'm in my early 30's so I don't think it's a generational issue. Most of today's music just sucks.

All I can say is, thank the Spaghetti Monster for iTunes.

Only Bach - or other religious classical music.

Christian rock music is never as good as the secular stuff (in fact most christian rock is very unoriginal, which makes it shit)

Nah, it's because it's crap :fdevil:

I just tried listening to some Guardian tunes that I still have ripped to my computer...blah...couldn't even get through the first song. Music is excellent, but lyrics have always been important to me and I can't listen to them without feeling sick (almost literally). I suppose some Xians would say I'm being convicted by the spook.

Yup, definitely need to find some creative ways to get rid of the collection...

I liked christian music. And listened to it exclusively during various phases over the years. Early on I listened to Keith Green, Amy Grant, Twila Paris, Randy Stonehill, Michael Card, Michael English, Steven Curtis Chapman.

Later on it was groups like MercyMe, Point of Grace, Casting Crowns, Watermark.

That's pretty much what I listened to, too. (I just got done listening to some of Amy Grant's "Straight Ahead" album.)

It goes in waves with me, nostalgia and loss mixed together. Sometimes I can listen to it. Sometimes I can't. Writers with more integrity (like the Dentes) or Charlie Peacock are palatable most of the time, but it's still sad because my beliefs have changed so much.

There is a lot of Christian "crap" out there (even in the alternate realm), but it's not much worse than the ton of secular crap out there as well. I think most secular music's saving grace is that it doesn't have the blind spot of thinking a song is "good" if it quotes/regurgitates the Bible or some other religious doctrine; it is usually forced somehow to have some degree of music quality to it. (Although we still get bubblegum pop. :( )

Wow, I've been an ex-C so long I couldn't even remember the names of people I used to listen to. Thanks for the memories gang! :thanks:

I do however, listen to country music most of the time. And it used to really bother me how much Jesus appears in country lyrics. But lately I don't give a crap. I've decided (sorry if you've heard me say this already) that if I can sing Puff the Magic Dragon and The Unicorn Song... well I can sing Jesus Take the Wheel. I can sing it really loud, in my car. And you can't stop me. :HaHa:

Heather

Every now and then I might catch Rich Mullins, but that's about it.

Something occurred to me this past spring when I was having personal problems. My friend's wife had a miscarriage, I was contemplating the death of my brother in January, and work was getting on my nerves. I don't like to push music on anyone, but I'm a huge Rush fan. I bought their latest album, Snakes and Arrows that day, and after listening to two particular tracks, I realized that I had more of a spiritual connection with Alex Lifeson than I did any character in the Bible.

...and after listening to two particular tracks, I realized that I had more of a spiritual connection with Alex Lifeson than I did any character in the Bible.

Hahaha! I found that same connection with Jon Bon Jovi during my "questioning period".

Hahaha! I found that same connection with Jon Bon Jovi during my "questioning period".

Oh god -- I don't even believe anymore, and I still find myself wanting to pray for your soul. :D

Oh god -- I don't even believe anymore, and I still find myself wanting to pray for your soul. :D

Hey! Are you knocking my man Jon? :nono:

:grin:

Seriously though, I bought the "Have a Nice Day" CD while I was going through deconversion and dealing with tons of emotional issues and just had a complete fucking breakdown from the first three songs. I was pulled over on the side of road listening to them over and over and over again and just...well...imagine what you'd do if everything you'd ever felt just came rushing to the surface when you'd never been able to express it before...

All I can say is, thank the Spaghetti Monster for iTunes.

- RAmen!

I used to be into that so exclusively that it wasn't funny, and but I haven't listened to it in ages. My favourites were Delirious, Sonic Flood, Michael W. Smith, 100 Portraits, Isaiah 6 (they were god-awfully fanatical about missions, in a REALLY scary way - gung-ho about totally destroying cultures "in the name of the Lord".), Seeds, and The Psalters.

Now, I hear any of it on campus and shudder - and then turn around and walk away as quickly as I'm able.

Only Bach - or other religious classical music.

Christian rock music is never as good as the secular stuff (in fact most christian rock is very unoriginal, which makes it shit)

That reminds me that when I still believed I once listened to this Christian pop singer Krystal Meyers who was a total rip-off of Avril Lavigne. Everything about her music from the sound of her voice to her musical style was a complete clone of Avril. She even had a song called "Fall To Pieces" which was also the name of an Avril Lavigne song. It's such obvious plagarism that I can't help but wonder if Avril would sue if she ever listened to her. And Krystal Meyers had this one song called Anticonformity that was so hypocritical because she's singing about not conforming to others yet she conforms to Christianity. Go figure.

I seldom feel the urge to listen to contemporary Christian type music. But I very much enjoy Russian church music, chants and classical type religious music. I still love Handel's Messiah. Very rarely I will think I even want to drop in a local Baptist church just to sing the hymns (haven't done it yet). I put it down to pure nostalgia, and too much of it would definately bother me.

Just because I don't believe the dogma anymore doesn't mean I have to throw out the aesthetic aspects of the religion (and some of the symbolism) that were appealing.

I'm totally with you, DevaLight! :3:

Even when I was a teen (back in the 70's, ack! :Old:) I never even liked guitar music in church, so christian rock has always been a non-starter for me.

Antlerman, you should try out some Warren Zevon; he was one of the better lyricists from the old school of singer/songwriters. Wrote a beautiful ballad about a Norwegian mercenary who got his head shot off in Africa...

Anyone who thinks Amy Grant has no talent as a singer / songwriter must have only heard "Baby, Baby". Check out these lyrics, written by Amy Grant. I'm sure you'll hear this song on the radio (being Jesus' birthday is coming up, and all)

Breath of Heaven

I have traveled many moonless nights,

Cold and weary with a babe inside,

And I wonder what I've done.

Holy father you have come,

And chosen me now to carry your son.

I am waiting in a silent prayer.

I am frightened by the load I bear.

In a world as cold as stone,

Must I walk this path alone?

Be with me now.

Be with me now.