Goodbye Jesus

The Divine Wallflower?

Tabula Rasa

Most of us have known loners, people who may have a few friends, but for the most part prefer their own company. There is also the idea of the eccentric loner artist, musician, writer or poet who creates their work for their own enjoyment and doesn't care whether or not anyone likes it.

Now then, I'm wondering maybe it could be suggested that God is like an introverted artist. "He" created the universe in the beginning and continues to create, "his" art. Now then, he might be aware of conscious beings like us who try to come to understand and know him, and while he doesn't mind the spiritual attention, it doesn't matter to him if we worship, pray or give supplications to him or not.

This might be a stretch, but something else that makes me think God might be a loner is how some people from various religions will isolate themselves to meditate or pray, in order to more effectively commune with God.

I hope this doesn't sound too odd, but it's something I've been pondering.

Thoughts?

Doesn't some Christians argue that God created humans just because he wanted company? That would suggest that he was lonely indeed!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest solarwave

I don't like the idea of God being something external. I believe that God is everything at once, and thus, is the essence of existence. Most people view God as a creator. So basically, God was here first, and then he created everything else separately. It just doesn't seem right to me. It seems like the mind is taking a concept it knows very well (creation: one thing building another thing) and applying it to a concept it can never understand (God) to come up with an easy solution to a problem it can't fathom, much less solve.

Now then, I'm wondering maybe it could be suggested that God is like an introverted artist. "He" created the universe in the beginning and continues to create, "his" art. Now then, he might be aware of conscious beings like us who try to come to understand and know him, and while he doesn't mind the spiritual attention, it doesn't matter to him if we worship, pray or give supplications to him or not.

This might be a stretch, but something else that makes me think God might be a loner is how some people from various religions will isolate themselves to meditate or pray, in order to more effectively commune with God.

I read in one Greek philosophical text (NeoPlatonic, but I forgot which one) the view that the Gods are engaged in eternal contemplation of what is Good and Holy. In this view it does not matter to them whether humans worship them or not, and they are not concerned about material things in the world. However, people who also spend time engaged in contemplation of what is Good and Holy become like the Gods in performing this activity, and can eventually become more and more God-like by continuing to contemplate Goodness.