Goodbye Jesus

What Do You Say To Someone Like That?

dr_funkenstein

So my friend thinks that human beings were intelligently designed by aliens.

:Hmm:

His basic premise is that since human beings are destructive to the environment and don't live in harmony with it, unlike all other species on the planet, that this indicates that we are different.

He believes that there is fossil evidence that shows human beings lived 10 million years ago. The only problem is that no reputable journal will publish it. Why? Because people don't want the information to come out.

How convenient.

He doesn't believe that we share a common ancestor with the other great apes. I've shown him how endogenous retroviral dna and fused chromosome evidence points to a common ancestor - he's currently reviewing it.

He also believes that there are a handful of naturally occurring stargates in the world - the largest and most powerful of which is in Iraq - which is according to him the real reason that America invaded Iraq. It is through these stargates that humans were supposedly seeded onto the planet.

For what purpose? I can only surmise that he thinks we were put here to destroy all pre-existing life and render the planet habitable for whatever species put us here.

What do you say to someone like that?

Put down the Weekly World News?

perhaps a review of the definition of the word 'fiction'.........

as in, "Dude! Stargate is a work of FICTION!"

I see you've met my brother, Dr. Funk.

Tell him I said hi.

:HaHa:

I know some foreigner dude here in shanghai, he's kind of a dead head so we gravitate on certain habits...anyway, he's trying to push the Joe Cell (look it up) on me, along with a lot of other kinds of "alternative science", which is really just a bizarre kind of faith masquerading as science.

All I can do is not along and say,"Yes, I see your point, but I also have no reason to doubt newton's second law of thermodynamics on a kinetic or electrochemical scale, so I remain skeptical." If he persists, just nod and smile, repeat...

It is kind of annoying, I feel kind of put on the spot, like he's daring me to challenge his delusion.

Encourage him to obtain a slot on George Noory's Coast-to-Coast AM? You'll hear some real "keepers" on that show if you're a fan of conspiracy theories. Or...how about having your friend hook up with the likes of Riley Martin ?

O-Qua Tangin Wann :HaHa:

The really frustrating bit is that this guy knew me when I was a xian - so now because I've deconverted he thinks it gives him a right to talk condescendingly to me. He'll say things like:

"Just a couple of years ago you used to believe that I was a sinner and I was going to hell - now you've had an englightening experience. Well, I'm still a couple of years ahead of you and you'll have another enlightening experience and believe the same thing I do."

My response to that was

"Yeah, I was lucky - I got out of a mindfucking cult, which means I know self-delusion when I see it. And that's exactly what you've got, buddy-boy!"

Tell him to put down the Zecharia Sitchin junk and learn some real history and some real science.

I don't think I could think of anything to tell your pal, but this reminds me of a evolutionary theory I once heard that I think is weird.

Supposedly the theory was that life on earth evolved from microbes left behind in garbage visiting aliens left on earth. I'm like what the hell? Now maybe I'm just funny, but the idea that our own humble hunk of rock can't evolve life on it's own without an alien leaving it's version of a fast food wrapper behind annoys the piss outta me.

Is he a Raelian?

He also believes that there are a handful of naturally occurring stargates in the world - the largest and most powerful of which is in Iraq - which is according to him the real reason that America invaded Iraq. It is through these stargates that humans were supposedly seeded onto the planet.

Tell your friend to stop wacking off to the Scifi Channel.

Is he a Raelian?

I actually asked him that - we know a couple of Raelians and I wondered whether they'd gotten to him. He denied it - we used to laugh about them together. I don't think he'd want to attach any labels to himself but it wouldn't surprise me if his beliefs align somewhat with Raelians.

Ugh. Why can't people see that alien-worshipping is no different than god-worshipping? It's just the same song, different dance.

Chances are if there *are* intelligent beings, they're not going to be *that* advanced. Yeah, they'll most likely have technology we don't, but creating the universe? Come on. :rolleyes:

And oh...your friend needs to learn that Stargate is a work of fiction, and unlike the Bible, 99.999% of people realize it is fiction. I wonder what weird new age books he's been reading?

As far as what to say? "You do realize how crazy that sounds, right?" might work, then again it might not.

If you go the Spock route and say "there's no scientific data to support that," they'll most likely give you the whole "emotional experience" excuse.

There's always humor. "Yeah, I was abducted by aliens once, and I wound up in bed with (insert name of movie star here)". Or the classic "what are you smoking and can I have some?" line.

It all depends. I think your response was perfectly fine.

I actually asked him that - we know a couple of Raelians and I wondered whether they'd gotten to him. He denied it - we used to laugh about them together. I don't think he'd want to attach any labels to himself but it wouldn't surprise me if his beliefs align somewhat with Raelians.

Amazing.

I think for any religion, I have plenty of arguments I can use, but when it comes to the "alien seed" I have none, simply because it isn't opposed to science. I think it's very unlikely, but what can you say... The only argument that comes to my mind is "why?" I can consider the possibility that an alien race started evolution, or planted DNA or controlled the evolution or whatever, but I can't really see any benefits of holding it for a truth. It is plausible, but unlikely, so it doesn't have to be true to make my life better.

Raelians is taking it a step further though and making it a real religion and political force. It could be dangerous, and seriously, I think the next major religion in the world which will overtake the others (like Christianity did once, and Islam also did in middle east) is the Raelian. I don't see how I can trust a French reporter having some visions in the 70's to be any more believable than a Roman Jew having a vision on a road 2000 years ago.

I'm with Bro Jeff, Lord of Creation... He needs to get over Uncle Zac...

Man... where are the guys in white suits with butterfly nets when you need them?!

In a country where more than 50% of people believe whole heartedly a man got nailed to a cross, died 'for them', and got better, the bar for 'sanity' is set pretty damned low...

Tell him to put down the Zecharia Sitchin junk and learn some real history and some real science.

I was gonna say the same thing.

At the same time, though, it is a possibility that life on Earth came from an Alien source...but, adding any more detail than that is just science fiction.

Where is Legion when you need him?

In a country where more than 50% of people believe whole heartedly a man got nailed to a cross, died 'for them', and got better...

Only 50%?? Where is this place? I think I want to move there...

I was trying to be kind...

What do you say to someone like that?

Doc, I just remembered a book that might help your friend. It's called Alien Gods:H.P Lovecraft and Extraterrestrial Pop Culture by Jason Colavito. Colavito believes that some people took Lovecraft's horror stories a little too seriously, and started thinking that aliens had visited earth in the distant past, like Lovecraft's Great Old One's did.(I think Colavito refers to Cthulhu as the first "ancient astronaut.")

Hope it helps.

Oh lordy, how I love a good conspiracy theory! (Of course I love Mythbusters even more.) :grin:

Encourage him to obtain a slot on George Noory's Coast-to-Coast AM? You'll hear some real "keepers" on that show if you're a fan of conspiracy theories. Or...how about having your friend hook up with the likes of Riley Martin ?

Thanks for that link. I have a friend who has been trying to get abducted by aliens for years. I'll forward this on to him...

• 3 weeks later...

The only reason aliens come to earth is to use the toilet. Why else are UFOs only found out of town along dirt roads? Aliens have to pee. How would you like to have to hold your bladder for six fucking light years?

"God! Are we almost there yet?"

"Oy vey! Here comes earth. Stop!"

So, they flush their piddlers and while taking off, accidentally run Bob and Bortello Inbreds off the road on their way back from the liquor store. These good sow-peddlers now become an authority on UFOs and hit the talk-show circuit.

Why would aliens populate the earth and then sneak around peeking into pickups? Our makers are among us.

...There's always humor. ... Or the classic "what are you smoking and can I have some?" line.

It all depends. I think your response was perfectly fine.

Hey Doc, Amethyst beat me to the punch. Sounds like an "induced" theory fer shur.

Sometimes I want to ask, "Am I the only one who is not fuckin' HIGH in the room?"