Goodbye Jesus

Cosmologies

sojourner

Thru my studies I ran across this list of cosmology definitions. I am quoting it as it is adding nothing. I thought to ask you here if you would care to expound on any of them that you tend to believe and hold to or just have a firm grasp of. Correct them if they are falling short of the actual definition. I want to better grasp these things and some of them are very new to me. Or if you know ones that are missing add them if you would.

nine possible cosmologies and an example of their followers:

Naturism: The universe is all that exists. Any God or gods are a product (derived) of the universe. (Western atheism)

Negationism: God does not exist, but is a mere illusion. The universe does not exist; it too is a mere illusion. Everything is mere illusion. (Eastern atheism)

Pantheism: God and the universe have a one to one correspondence. (Hinduism)

Panentheism: The entire universe is part of God, But God is greater than the universe. (Process theology)

Dualism: there is more than one God and the universe is a product of these two gods. (Zoroastrianism, Plato)

Godism: the universe is an illusion, only God is real and exists. (Eastern philosophy)

Deism: God created the universe, set everything in motion, and then had nothing more to do with it. (Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin were part of the deist movement)

Theism: God is the always existent, original being who created the universe. (Judaism, Islam and Christianity)

Subjectivism: I am all that exists. (Solipsism)

Thanks

Thru my studies I ran across this list of cosmology definitions. I am quoting it as it is adding nothing. I thought to ask you here if you would care to expound on any of them that you tend to believe and hold to or just have a firm grasp of. Correct them if they are falling short of the actual definition. I want to better grasp these things and some of them are very new to me. Or if you know ones that are missing add them if you would.

Naturism: The universe is all that exists. Any God or gods are a product (derived) of the universe. (Western atheism)

Negationism: God does not exist, but is a mere illusion. The universe does not exist; it too is a mere illusion. Everything is mere illusion. (Eastern atheism)

Panentheism: The entire universe is part of God, But God is greater than the universe. (Process theology)

Dualism: there is more than one God and the universe is a product of these two gods. (Zoroastrianism, Plato)

Godism: the universe is an illusion, only God is real and exists. (Eastern philosophy)

Deism: God created the universe, set everything in motion, and then had nothing more to do with it. (Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin were part of the deist movement)

Theism: God is the always existent, original being who created the universe. (Judaism, Islam and Christianity)

Thanks

Can you provide a link to where you found these definitions? Dualism definitely doesn't sound right as listed above. Dualism is seeing things in terms of opposites. "This is good because that is evil. This is hot because that is cold." BTW, it's a really important thing for you to come to recognize in our Western thinking. It's how we've learned to describe the world and lends itself to the sorts of religious ideas that come out of it. The entire Fall in the Garden of Eden is a myth about dualism: moving from a state of oneness to a state of opposites. Western thinking has a hard time with seeing the world as one thing because of how our language is all based on the perception of opposites.

As far as what in that short list above I identify with, Naturism is the closest. But it goes well beyond just that simple definition.

Thanks

Can you provide a link to where you found these definitions? Dualism definitely doesn't sound right as listed above. Dualism is seeing things in terms of opposites. "This is good because that is evil. This is hot because that is cold." BTW, it's a really important thing for you to come to recognize in our Western thinking. It's how we've learned to describe the world and lends itself to the sorts of religious ideas that come out of it. The entire Fall in the Garden of Eden is a myth about dualism: moving from a state of oneness to a state of opposites. Western thinking has a hard time with seeing the world as one thing because of how our language is all based on the perception of opposites.

As far as what in that short list above I identify with, Naturism is the closest. But it goes well beyond just that simple definition.

Hey Antlerman, Thanks for replying

Yes, I felt the dualism didnt quite cover the bases for sure. I ran accross this reading some online debates between some christian, an athiest and an agnostic. One of them shared that list. I cant recall which one. And I thought that it sure didnt seem like something that many would really agree with as it just seems so streamlined and incomplete so thought to ask some of you.

let me find the link:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~gbl111/dialog_4_round_2.htm

naturism I thought sounded very much like what you share from.

sojourner

by the way to whomever

i love the winter theme!!!! it totally ROCKS!

Antlerman

Just thought to share this with you as my journey has certainly not been boring lol

I have spent time in

theism

panthiesm and Godism (got very much into New Thought)

to more of a

panenthiesm

but universalism really became a valid belief for me back in 2000 and has remained constant while the others came and went or should say morphed

sojourner

This is an exact description of what I used to believe not so long ago. It is in many ways a charming belief - and by far the best belief that includes a concept of God.

But charming doesn't equal true - and as a result of this I have recently reached the conclusion that God or gods are a product of human imagination. Only the Universe is real (so that would be Western Atheism or Naturalism according to your definitions above)

Obviously a long long time ago I was of the Theist persuasion because I was a Christian.

So I started off theist then went pantheist and finally have arrived at atheist - and every change has been a very positive one.

I guess I'm about 85% athiest and 15% deist going by the descrips...

At least, that's how I feel. I have this small part of me that wishes/thinks there just might be some kind of "god" out there, but if there is he/she/it is totally benign in the workings of the universe.

My journey hasn't been boring either. Pantheism and Godism are what I am most attracted to. They are both found in Hinduism. I have never actually heard of the term "Godism" but your definition fits into some Hindu philosophy. I started studying Hinduism about 6 years ago. I was really surprised at the variety of views found. It is really a huge subject!

This notion of this visible universe being an illusion has a very calming effect on me.