Goodbye Jesus

The Faith Of The Centurion

ShackledNoMore

This week, for the first time in 25 or 30 years, I've been spending my commute time listening to xian radio. It's not something I normally do, but ex-c.net and other sources have bolstered my ration of exposure to logical ideas to the point that I just got this stupid hankering to revisit just how outrageous the things they say would be. And holy shit, was it certifiable! I could rant about every show I heard this week, but I'll just pick the broadcast from one morning. The level of stupidity was representative of what I heard all week.

The guy was talking about Matthew 8: the faith of the centurion. Of course he was speaking in radio preacher idiom, amen?, with the emphasis and inflection that goes along with it. "...and Jesus was ASTONISHED at the man's faith!" Now I was noticing several things wrong here. If the bible were true, we'd have had this man-god walking the face of the earth performing miracles. Now the centurion knew all about this man-god and all his miracles. Moreover, this god happens to be omniscient. He's omniscient, he knows what you're thinking, he knows men's hearts, and even if he didn't he'd been walking around performing miracles and was now talking to a man who was fully aware of his miracles, and our man-god was ASTONISHED that the centurion had the faith to believe the he could do the same healing without making a house call!!!!?????

Radio preacher guy went on to tie this into the 21st century and talked about how we should astonish the omniscient god. Oooookaaaaaaaaay...

But speaking of the 21st century, here's something rich: the centurion, who supposedly witnessed god incarnate and all his accompanying miracles ASTONISHED him with his faith, while we in the 21st century with mountains of scientific evidence betraying biblical stories as primitive myths and nary a peep out of god will be condemned to hell for our shocking and brazen LACK of faith, at least if xians are to be believed. Yes folks, the same omniscient god, who was ASTONISHED by the faith of the centurion, was totally indignant about our lack of faith, now, and two thousand years ago when he could peer into the future. Apparently god and preacher guys figure that the centurion somehow needed a lot more faith to believe than people today. Moron.

:banghead:

The guy was talking about Matthew 8: the faith of the centurion. Of course he was speaking in radio preacher idiom, amen?, with the emphasis and inflection that goes along with it. "...and Jesus was ASTONISHED at the man's faith!" Now I was noticing several things wrong here. If the bible were true, we'd have had this man-god walking the face of the earth performing miracles. Now the centurion knew all about this man-god and all his miracles. Moreover, this god happens to be omniscient. He's omniscient, he knows what you're thinking, he knows men's hearts, and even if he didn't he'd been walking around performing miracles and was now talking to a man who was fully aware of his miracles, and our man-god was ASTONISHED that the centurion had the faith to believe the he could do the same healing without making a house call!!!!?????

How about the fact that jesus missed a PERFECT oppurtinuity to preach AGAINST slavery, yet didn't! He actually healed the slave so he could continue being a slave for the Roman! Having faith in jesus is more important than treating your fellow man fairly.

How's that for compassion?

:twitch:

In case you saw my post that I deleted, I don't think I said very well what I meant so I will try again.

Your OP reminded of the conversation we have been having in Talking the Talk, half in joke and half serious, about how important it is for a "man of God" to appear to say the right things. It seems to me that is what this guy on the radio talk show is doing. He's talking the talk and nothing more. Yeah, STUPID!!!!

I guess it makes his fellow stupidists feel good. All they have to do is continue being stupid and believing stuff that makes no sense and for which there is absolutely no evidence, then God/Jesus will be astonished (read PLEASED) with their strong faith, too. DISGUSTING!

What they always forget to mention when they are preaching about the talents is that we should actually use our talents to understand the story about the talents, not to mention critique the Bible and religion right along with the rest of life. Two-faced manipulators that they are--complete with forked tongues and talking snakes and all.

O, but Jesus humbled Himself as a man when He came to this flat earth to Croak in the Spook on the big giant stick and then Magically Undeaden Himself for us, so He wasn't omniscient while He was here as a human. So that explains how He could be astonished. See, the Bible really is true and Jesus is Lord! Glory!

Why should I believe, probably, an illiterate and uneducated, iron-age solider anyway? A pagan at that, and accordingly, probably, believed in many gods anyway? Why should I be suprised that an uneducated hick had faith? And for that matter, why should I give a damn that some one as likewise uneducated and illiterate accepted his less-than-critically minded equal's astonishment?

No reason there. The preacher will have to lift a bit harder than that to convince me.

How about the fact that jesus missed a PERFECT oppurtinuity to preach AGAINST slavery, yet didn't! He actually healed the slave so he could continue being a slave for the Roman! Having faith in jesus is more important than treating your fellow man fairly.

How's that for compassion?

:twitch:

Absolutely. Apparently god/jesus was A-OK with the abhorrent practice: slavery is condoned elsewhere in the new testament, with guidance provided for masters and slaves.

In case you saw my post that I deleted, I don't think I said very well what I meant so I will try again.

Your OP reminded of the conversation we have been having in Talking the Talk, half in joke and half serious, about how important it is for a "man of God" to appear to say the right things. It seems to me that is what this guy on the radio talk show is doing. He's talking the talk and nothing more. Yeah, STUPID!!!!

Two-faced manipulators that they are--complete with forked tongues and talking snakes and all.

I wish I remembered the original post exactly, but I think I remember it being a good post.

In any case, it does relate. This guy and his cohorts were pros at self-righteously spouting the talk. They are true snake oil salesmen.

Two-faced manipulators that they are--complete with forked tongues and talking snakes and all.

I wish I remembered the original post exactly, but I think I remember it being a good post.

In any case, it does relate. This guy and his cohorts were pros at self-righteously spouting the talk. They are true snake oil salesmen.

Oh okay. I was ribbing you a bit and I was suddenly feeling fearful that it would be taken wrong and therefore be offensive, since it wasn't in the context of a pm or the likes.

O, but Jesus humbled Himself as a man when He came to this flat earth to Croak in the Spook on the big giant stick and then Magically Undeaden Himself for us, so He wasn't omniscient while He was here as a human. So that explains how He could be astonished. See, the Bible really is true and Jesus is Lord! Glory!

Funny you should mention that, Kryasst, because I was thinking of that objection as I was writing. I dismissed it because I have hardened my heart from pissing off the Holy Farter too much. Of course he had to strike a balance: Jesus knew he was the Lard Gawd, and could perform miracles, and talked with his Farter and even the devil, AND he was filled with the Spook of Kryasst, who was magically Him, but he had to be human, and THAT explains why he had to be more clueless than a 12 year old in discerning these subtleties of human behavior, to compensate. I guess you're right: Farter Knows Best! Glory!

Funny you should mention that, Kryasst, because I was thinking of that objection as I was writing. I dismissed it because I have hardened my heart from pissing off the Holy Farter too much. Of course he had to strike a balance: Jesus knew he was the Lard Gawd, and could perform miracles, and talked with his Farter and even the devil, AND he was filled with the Spook of Kryasst, who was magically Him, but he had to be human, and THAT explains why he had to be more clueless than a 12 year old in discerning these subtleties of human behavior, to compensate. I guess you're right: Farter Knows Best! Glory!

But how could he be this way? When he was 12 for real he was so outstandingly smart that even the religious leaders were ASTONISHED! Was he just copying them when he became a minister???

Another example of a completely fabricated incident made up by the gospel writers to show the Romans in a favorable light. After all, it was of paramount importance to gain rich gentile converts in Rome at the time the gospels were written.

Another example is the whole fabrication of the "trial" of Jesus before Pilate. The Jews are made to be responsible for Jesus' death by shouting "crucify him", and not the Romans, even though the Romans actually crucified him (if in fact it did happen).

The radio preacher is a moron.