Goodbye Jesus

Stupid Local Liquor Laws

Deva

I can't for the life of me understand the logic behind the fact that the grocery store won't sell me wine on Sunday morning. It seems to be some localized law and I have read somewhere that there are other grocery stores in the area that do. I guess the manager of this particular store of a large chain (the closest and most convenient store) must be some kind of a fundy.

Really and truly, the store sells all manner of liquor all other times of the day and night. I shop Sunday morning because there are fewer crowds but have to come back after noon or go to another store to buy wine.

WTF kind of crazy logic is behind this stupidity? I could understand it if it was the entire county or we were in a square state in a rural area but this is a fairly cosmopolitan big city type place.

All over the town people are meeting in xian churches to imbibe communion wine. Didn't Jesus approve of it? After all, he made a bunch of it for a wedding. This store manager must be a Baptist or one of those other ones that do grape juice instead of wine. What fakery and hypocracy! It makes me crazy if I think about it too much.

That is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard of. It makes even less sense than the "no Sunday shopping" that used to go on here about 20 years ago.

PS - will they sell you other alcohol?

That is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard of. It makes even less sense than the "no Sunday shopping" that used to go on here about 20 years ago.

PS - will they sell you other alcohol?

No alcoholic beverages of any kind is sold at this store before noon. That part of the store where the beer is, which is normally lit up, is dark on Sunday a.m. There is a sign there in that section saying it can't be sold until 12:00 noon. I see a lot of people not seeing the sign and loading up anyway, only to be told at the cash register that they can't buy it.

Is it a chain or an independently owned store? Blue laws are still common in a lot of areas, but if it's just one store, it sounds like the manager/owner is a real crackpot. Not to mention how asinine the logic is that it's OK to sell alcohol any old time except on Sunday morning! :blink:

No alcoholic beverages of any kind is sold at this store before noon. That part of the store where the beer is, which is normally lit up, is dark on Sunday a.m. There is a sign there in that section saying it can't be sold until 12:00 noon. I see a lot of people not seeing the sign and loading up anyway, only to be told at the cash register that they can't buy it.

Just in time for church to let out. :lmao:

The ones getting in too early must be the Catholics.

Is it a chain or an independently owned store? Blue laws are still common in a lot of areas, but if it's just one store, it sounds like the manager/owner is a real crackpot. Not to mention how asinine the logic is that it's OK to sell alcohol any old time except on Sunday morning! :blink:

It is a large chain supermarket type store. I do not know if the managers are just given the option to do this "no liquor" thing or what it is. It is really only a small inconvenience, but how bizarre is this? As I say, same store sells it any other time, day or night.

It means you're supposed to stock up before sunday. And that everybody's coming to your party 12 AM sunday morning.

Its state law in NC. No beer or wine after 6 am or before noon on sunday. No bottled liquor at all. Bars after noon. And local laws vary in every county here. Its a mess.

The county I grew up in in Tennessee had the same law about selling beer before noon on Sunday. It was just shy of being a dry county. The stores there (of any sort) could only sell 3.2% beer. No liquor, no wine. There were no liquor stores in Anderson County Tennessee as far as I know, and liquor could not be sold by the drink... as such there were essentailly no bars. Lots on the county lines, though. I hear that the liquor-by-the-drink law was recently changed... much to my Dad's chagrin.

The stores there (of any sort) could only sell 3.2% beer.

You mean "colored water", don't you? :blink:

That said, if that's just one shop in town doing the crazy thing, methinks that's a call "customers, please vote with your feet" :fdevil:

Me and my friends took the trip last week to Buffalo to watch the UNDEFEATED New England Patriots (sorry, but that is the new official name for the team....LOL) and found ourselves at 11:45 am sitting in the bar at TGIFridays waiting for noon to roll around so we could start drinking. We did not order any food, and the bartender even gave us free snacks. But he held to the noontime rule.

Then we drank ourselves silly until it was time to head to the stadium. But we could have gotten in a couple more drinks, if not for the dumb law of drinking before noon.

The day before we started drinking at 7 am, so waiting til noon was an ETERNITY for us.

In my state its against the law to sell liquor in a supermarket in the first place.

The stores there (of any sort) could only sell 3.2% beer.

You mean "colored water", don't you? :blink:

That said, if that's just one shop in town doing the crazy thing, methinks that's a call "customers, please vote with your feet" :fdevil:

It's the same here in Utah, except it's state-wide. Anything containing more than 3.2% alcohol is sold only in state-run liquor stores, which are usually only open until 8-9 pm and closed altogether on Sundays. The only drinks supermarkets, convenience stores, restaurants, etc. are allowed to sell are essentially "colored water" and "cheerleader beer." (malt liquor)

In my state its against the law to sell liquor in a supermarket in the first place.

Wow SilentLoner, that beats anything I ever heard!

I have lived in several states and can't recall one where no liquor was permitted to be sold in the supermarket at any time.

If this no Sunday morning, no liquor thing were county or state wide I could understand it better. Anyway, I think too much.

It all depends on your state and local laws. In Indiana, stores cannot sell alcohol on Sundays at all, and you can't just have a drink when you go out, you have to order a meal also. What are the real reasons for these laws? Do they really think that this cuts down on drinking? Don't people just stock up for Sunday if they want it? Or is there some vague religious reason behind it, "Would Jesus drink on Sunday?"

Minnesota has a blue law like that. You can't buy alcohol before noon on Sunday. It is state wide though. Also supermarkets can't sell liquor except the weak stuff, but they get around it by having a separate liquor store with an external entrance next to the grocery store.

I can't for the life of me understand the logic behind the fact that the grocery store won't sell me wine on Sunday morning. It seems to be some localized law and I have read somewhere that there are other grocery stores in the area that do. I guess the manager of this particular store of a large chain (the closest and most convenient store) must be some kind of a fundy.

Really and truly, the store sells all manner of liquor all other times of the day and night. I shop Sunday morning because there are fewer crowds but have to come back after noon or go to another store to buy wine.

WTF kind of crazy logic is behind this stupidity? I could understand it if it was the entire county or we were in a square state in a rural area but this is a fairly cosmopolitan big city type place.

All over the town people are meeting in xian churches to imbibe communion wine. Didn't Jesus approve of it? After all, he made a bunch of it for a wedding. This store manager must be a Baptist or one of those other ones that do grape juice instead of wine. What fakery and hypocracy! It makes me crazy if I think about it too much.

Hey you think thats stupid, there are actually counties in AL called "dry" counties where it is illegal to sell booze ANYTIME.

I live in MA. We can't buy booze anywhere but a liquor store. they tried to pass a law in favor of selling booze in gocery stores etc. but it did not pass. Stupid.

In NH all Hard liqueur's can only be bought at state run stores. In the regular stores one can buy beer and/or wine between the hours of 6 AM to 11:30 pm. Restaurants/ Bars can serve until 1 AM but nothing 'to go' at any time.

Skiergirl, It wasn't to long ago (2003 or 4) that MA liquor stores could open on Sundays if they were with in 10 miles of the VT or NH borders, all other ones were closed on Sunday. :Doh:

Guest Wild Man

One of the people I live with is from the hills of Kentucky. She says that dry counties have remained that way as a gesture to local moonshiners (which still thrive in places).

Check this cool video out.. :)

kFL

It all depends on your state and local laws. In Indiana, stores cannot sell alcohol on Sundays at all, and you can't just have a drink when you go out, you have to order a meal also. What are the real reasons for these laws? Do they really think that this cuts down on drinking? Don't people just stock up for Sunday if they want it? Or is there some vague religious reason behind it, "Would Jesus drink on Sunday?"

The real reason is that they're afraid you'll get drunk and forget to go to church. :beer:;)

Yeah, its the reasoning and "logic" behind it that I wonder about. Why only Sunday? Why only in the morning at my particular grocery store? Must be a Christian thing. No other group holds Sunday special. If it was the whole county or state, and other days as well, sure I get it, full of hardcore Bible belt fundies. But it isn't that way here. There are sure some fundies (the store manager, probably) but its not a county or state wide thing.

Realistically, don't most people not drink in the morning? Again, why not at least sell wine, didn't Jesus drink it? It doesn't make sense.

The curse of the ex-christian, we think too much. Aqua-Kitty, your explanation is as good as any.