Goodbye Jesus

Photo Edit

SWIM

posergirl1.jpg

Hello!

I posted this pic in the "photos" thread, but does not seem the proper place for it, as this is not a personal photo, but a re-touch.

You might recognize this from the web, something about how bad men treat women lol.

Anyway, the asian girl by the side of the road is not real, I created her in Poser 7. I took a rendering of a pose, saved it with a transparent background, then added a layer to the picture in photoshop.

I had to juggle some levels to get it to look more real, and added a slight lens blur. Also, notice she casts a shadow too!

Just learning some new stuff, what do you think?

Considering you're so new to it that's really good. Blending 3D into real photos is very difficult to make look realistic...to be honest, I've never even tried it yet beyond some general playing around. My 3D images are blended with other 3D images or stand-alone.

I hope this doesn't sound critical...trust me, I'm harsher with my own work (depending what it's for)...I'll be the first to admit if something I do sucks. Actually, I think most of the stuff I do is only mediocre...

1. She's out of scale. She looks like she's about 7 to 8 feet tall in comparison to the others in the pic.

2. Feather tool. She's in really sharp contrast to the background. The feather tool does wonders for really blending image elements.

3. Lighting on her is a bit harsh compared to the other elements. Shadow is kind of on the wrong side of her considering where her clothes are brightest. Plus, the cart isn't casting a shadow except for directly under it. It's an overcast day in the pic...not many shadows at all.

That's the things that hit me right away. I'm fairly certain I would have made the exact same mistakes on my first run through. That's the pain of it all. Render...oops, that doesn't work...re-render...whoops, forgot to add that...and render again...you get the idea... :P

Considering you're so new to it that's really good. Blending 3D into real photos is very difficult to make look realistic...to be honest, I've never even tried it yet beyond some general playing around. My 3D images are blended with other 3D images or stand-alone.

I hope this doesn't sound critical...trust me, I'm harsher with my own work (depending what it's for)...I'll be the first to admit if something I do sucks. Actually, I think most of the stuff I do is only mediocre...

1. She's out of scale. She looks like she's about 7 to 8 feet tall in comparison to the others in the pic.

2. Feather tool. She's in really sharp contrast to the background. The feather tool does wonders for really blending image elements.

3. Lighting on her is a bit harsh compared to the other elements. Shadow is kind of on the wrong side of her considering where her clothes are brightest. Plus, the cart isn't casting a shadow except for directly under it. It's an overcast day in the pic...not many shadows at all.

That's the things that hit me right away. I'm fairly certain I would have made the exact same mistakes on my first run through. That's the pain of it all. Render...oops, that doesn't work...re-render...whoops, forgot to add that...and render again...you get the idea... :P

I can second pretty much all of that. She's a big girl.

Hey all great points! That's exactly why I posted it, not a stunning work of art, I know this, just fishing for feedback, thanks man, gave me some things to focus on. I am trying this out on stills first, I have a way of animating the graphics and inserting them into footage.

I will certainly take all that you said in consideration.

OK,

Applied a 1.1 pixil feather. Scaled her down. Shadow is shorter, since the shadow of the cart is shorter. Shadow direction is corrected. Also, played with the contrast and color levels till I got a better match.

I need to master this before I apply this technque to film.

I have some clips of her dancing, walking and running with no background, so it can be inserted. This was a poser 7 creation with little tweaking. Thinking of creating a "jesus" figure to add to videos for comedy! :)

Was also thinking about doing an "interview" with jesus for comedy (of course) :)

Anyone interested in helping me with a script?

asiangirl.jpg

Looking good! She just needs a brown parka to blend right in!

Human figures are the hardest 3D components to work with I think. Look at the trouble even the very BEST animators have with them still. They can get realistic movement and display emotions and everything, but there's still something about human skin...making someone truly "alive" that is still missing in all 3D. No matter what it still looks like "art."

Script? I'm having a hard enough time coming up with my own script ideas for an animation I have planned... :P

Since you were fishing for feedback:

1) Take two really did fix a lot of stuff compared with take one. Softening the girl and changing the shadow really made a big difference. Her scale in much more realistic.

2) Notice how the effect of the new scaling of the girl impacted the composition? In take one, the girl was more of a focal point. In take two, she has become another detail in the picture. The two old ladies in the cart are a very interesting detail, but the Asian girl was probably a more worthy focal point. Also, with the cart now more of the focal point, it's become more of a large blob in the center of the picture. That said, it was still an improvement: now the girl is no longer unnaturally large. I wonder what it would look like (and what other consequences it might have!) if the girl were more in the foreground and the cart further away (although the cart may already be in the same layer as the background).

3) There was something slightly odd to me about the girl's pose. She looks like she's standing somewhat on her toes with knees slightly bent in a difficult to maintain position and there's something that might look slightly off about her shoulder/elbow/arm position. Or maybe not, I may be over-analyzing now.

I think that's about ten-fold better than I could accomplish. It would be really cool to try something like that sometime!

I would cut the length of the shadow by 1/2-1/3. Look at the position of the shadow relative to the cart.

I wonder what it would look like (and what other consequences it might have!) if the girl were more in the foreground and the cart further away (although the cart may already be in the same layer as the background).

3) There was something slightly odd to me about the girl's pose. She looks like she's standing somewhat on her toes with knees slightly bent in a difficult to maintain position and there's something that might look slightly off about her shoulder/elbow/arm position. Or maybe not, I may be over-analyzing now.

I think that's about ten-fold better than I could accomplish. It would be really cool to try something like that sometime!

I can try putting her more in the foreground, I can change her pose too, (the beauty of poser) the pose in that picture is more of a submissive "listening" pose.

I might animate this and have her do a brief dance by the side of the road, only problem is, she will be the only thing moving. Of course I could try to find a short vid clip for that, edit her in. Was working on that with a male figure throwing a punch yesterday, but it is no where near ready to upload.

I did shorten the shadow and change its direction, but in this photo it looks like the sun is directly overhead and slightly forward, which does not precisely matchup with the girls shadow.

Thank for the feedback!