Goodbye Jesus

Dr. Phil And T.d. Jakes

Not that I hold Dr. Phil in any high esteem, but I came home just a minute ago and the TV had been left on.

Dr. Phil had some couple on that had some domestic violence issues, and who is sitting next to them as a invited guest but T.D. Jakes! :eek: Is Dr. Phil some kind of fundy? I can't think of another reason he would have Jakes on the show. I used to tune into Jakes becuse his antics were so comical and stereotypical it did uplift me. Laughter is the best medicine, after all.

Nothing really else to say, I'm sitting here watching it as I type this, just befuddled as to why Dr. Phil would have a televangelist on his show as a respected peer. According to wiki, he has no advanced degrees in any field of psycology. Apparantly, as a child Jakes would preach to imaginary congragations!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Td_jakes

I'm actually watching this right now. Haha. It's weird.

In my fundy days, I went to one of his conferences that I heard about on Oprah, and afterwards I got in the book signing line to actually meet the man and I asked him if he was a christian. His reply was "Yes, most definitely."

How fundy about it? Dunno. Might just be trying to break into a lucrative market.

~ Aurelia ~

In my fundy days, I went to one of his conferences that I heard about on Oprah, and afterwards I got in the book signing line to actually meet the man and I asked him if he was a christian. His reply was "Yes, most definitely."

How fundy about it? Dunno. Might just be trying to break into a lucrative market.

~ Aurelia ~

Well, a quick wiki search didn't say anything about his religiosity, but I found this link at the bottom of the article to be a somewhat interesting read...

http://www.usask.ca/relst/jrpc/art10-drphil.html

While the demand for traditional religious experience may wane, the desire for moral certainty and for a coherent sense of identity results in, as Bauman theorizes, an “ever rising demand for identity-experts.â€7 Phil McGraw is such an “identity expert.â€

[4] McGraw enunciates with moral authority. He confronts participants for their weakness while providing what sounds like a common sense solution. And, while there are similarities between The Dr. Phil Show and other ‘trash talk’ shows, such as the production practice, the use of the spectacle, extreme case scenarios to engage the audience, and topics (e.g., cheating spouses, child drug addiction and sex addiction), McGraw differs from other "trash talk" television hosts such as Maury, Montel, Jenny Jones or Rikki Lake8 by his use of a discourse that blends life coaching, religion, self help, cognitive behavioral psychology and a rational utilitarian philosophy.9

~ Aurelia ~

Well, a quick wiki search didn't say anything about his religiosity, but I found this link at the bottom of the article to be a somewhat interesting read...

http://www.usask.ca/relst/jrpc/art10-drphil.html

While the demand for traditional religious experience may wane, the desire for moral certainty and for a coherent sense of identity results in, as Bauman theorizes, an “ever rising demand for identity-experts.â€7 Phil McGraw is such an “identity expert.â€

[4] McGraw enunciates with moral authority. He confronts participants for their weakness while providing what sounds like a common sense solution. And, while there are similarities between The Dr. Phil Show and other ‘trash talk’ shows, such as the production practice, the use of the spectacle, extreme case scenarios to engage the audience, and topics (e.g., cheating spouses, child drug addiction and sex addiction), McGraw differs from other "trash talk" television hosts such as Maury, Montel, Jenny Jones or Rikki Lake8 by his use of a discourse that blends life coaching, religion, self help, cognitive behavioral psychology and a rational utilitarian philosophy.9

I've always had a dislike of Dr. Phil...even when I was a Christian. I don't care much for Oprah either (gasp, shock...in some circles anyway).

Not that I hold Dr. Phil in any high esteem, but I came home just a minute ago and the TV had been left on.

Dr. Phil had some couple on that had some domestic violence issues, and who is sitting next to them as a invited guest but T.D. Jakes! :eek: Is Dr. Phil some kind of fundy? I can't think of another reason he would have Jakes on the show. I used to tune into Jakes becuse his antics were so comical and stereotypical it did uplift me. Laughter is the best medicine, after all.

Nothing really else to say, I'm sitting here watching it as I type this, just befuddled as to why Dr. Phil would have a televangelist on his show as a respected peer. According to wiki, he has no advanced degrees in any field of psycology. Apparantly, as a child Jakes would preach to imaginary congragations!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Td_jakes

Hell yeah he's a fundy, on the highest order...which is repulsive since he's supposed to be a therapist!

He was on TBN one night and he did an appearance on some show....Anyone he made the comment, "In order for Children to have a relationship with their heavenly father they first need one with their heavenly(i.e. imaginary friend)father.

You can tell he's a fundie by how freakish his wife looks(ie. The hair helmet, bunny rabbit teeth, and the fact that she is nothing more than a show piece and not an actual human being with opinions)....

You know his stupidass probably voted for Dubya too(after all he is a good ole boy from Texas).

Lastly, his relationship with TD Jakes is PURELY financially. Dr. Shill let's TD hock his books on the show and TD Jakes gets to sell his brand of bull on national television...So we all know Shill gets a cut of TD's profits.

It was laughable watching these two bums give marital advice. TD Jakes was calling for a reconciliation...

I'm like, "what part did you not hear? The fact that he beats his wife or that he cheated on her over 50 times?!"

I wonder would Dr. Phil ever give relationship advice to a gay couple...That was rhetorical...LOL.

Won't EVER happen. Just like Jebus will never comeback.

I've always had a dislike of Dr. Phil...even when I was a Christian. I don't care much for Oprah either (gasp, shock...in some circles anyway).

Agreed. I don't like either of them. Oprah is like the high priestess of the American religion - wishy washy xians that don't really have the guts to examine their faith flock to her like moths to a flame. She just makes me want to puke.

As for Dr. Phil -- I was criticised for saying something negative about him on another web site. I don't like him. He is a hypocrite and is a bully when not in front of a camera (sometimes even when he IS in front of a camera). I feel sorry for his wife. I hate bullies.

Oprah is like the high priestess of the American religion - wishy washy xians that don't really have the guts to examine their faith flock to her like moths to a flame. She just makes me want to puke.

That's an odd statement.

She seems to have an open mind when she debates Fundy Christians here.

Oprah is like the high priestess of the American religion - wishy washy xians that don't really have the guts to examine their faith flock to her like moths to a flame. She just makes me want to puke.

That's an odd statement.

I got news for you if it has not already been said....Dr. Phil does not even have a PhD. He is a fraud and it is Oprah who gave him is start..... :twitch:

I don't see what that has to do with my post...but ok. Not news to me.

That's an odd statement.

I can't watch most videos on my slow dial up, but I wasn't saying she was a fundamentalist, if that is what you thought I meant. Perhaps I should have said "guru" rather than "high priestess," but it isn't an odd statement. It was brought to my attention by the media. Just Google "Oprah and Religion."

I am referring to the religion of millions of fence-sitting, wishy-washy, half new-age, liberal, non-fundie xian Americans.

Have you ever read "The American Religion" by Harold Bloom?

http://www.amazon.com/American-Religion-Em...n/dp/067167997X

Frome the above link:

Without knowing it, American worshipers have moved away from Christianity and now embrace pre-Christian Gnosticism, asserts Bloom ( The Book of J ). In his most controversial book to date, the Yale professor defines "the American Religion" as a Gnostic creed stressing knowledge of an inner self that leads to freedom from nature, time, history and other selves. Every American, he writes, assumes that God loves her or him in a personal, intimate way, and this trait is the bedrock of our national religion, a debased Gnosticism often tinged with selfishness.

You can tell he's a fundie by how freakish his wife looks(ie. The hair helmet, bunny rabbit teeth, and the fact that she is nothing more than a show piece and not an actual human being with opinions)....

You know his stupidass probably voted for Dubya too(after all he is a good ole boy from Texas).

Ya know, I feel like an idiot for not seeing the connection here! I've always been creeped out by his wife, it's the same thing that made me first wary of Bush when he started running...the eyes. Bush is all squinty, but Robin has these beady, sunken eyes that always looked crossed. It looks like her plastic surgeon gave her a too tight face lift! Hate to make fun of anybody, but she has always seemed plastic to me, just like most Stepford, err, I mean, xtian wives.

EDIT: From Wiki:

McGraw graduated from the Midwestern State University in 1975 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology. He went on to earn a master's degree in experimental psychology, and a Ph.D in clinical psychology at the University of North Texas, where his dissertation was titled "Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Psychological Intervention."

So it appears he does have degrees in the appliciable areas, don't know where you came up with your statement there Burnedout.