Goodbye Jesus

Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

SWIM

I just bought this the other day and all I can say is WOW! Stunning graphics, and the dvd quality animation in the story line will blow you away.

I have finshed some of the very first missions, then switched to multiplayer after I got a feel for it. Kinda like unreal tornament (free for all) or quake, except you are using modern weapons, like m16s, sniper rifles, claymores and RPGs. Very interesting game play!

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

I just bought this the other day and all I can say is WOW! Stunning graphics, and the dvd quality animation in the story line will blow you away.

I have finshed some of the very first missions, then switched to multiplayer after I got a feel for it. Kinda like unreal tornament (free for all) or quake, except you are using modern weapons, like m16s, sniper rifles, claymores and RPGs. Very interesting game play!

How does it compare with Call Of Duty 3, which I have? That is WW2. Are the tactics still much the same? I note the following: In COD3, the only machine guns were German MG42's and they were in fixed positions. Usually they were not in good positions. A machine gun (or any fully automatic weapon) should fire perpendicular to your own or the enemy's Axis Of Advance. By contrast the MG42's in COD are nearly always found firing parellel to the Axis of Advance.

A prime example of this error is the second scenario in COD3. In the last stage of this you (the Red Army) mount a counter-attack on a German position, a two storey building with a trench in front of it. The Germans are driven back through broken ground into this trench, but their machine guns are firing from the building's ground floor. Although the guns are protected in this way, they are rendered nearly useless in effect. The German position is strikingly vulnerable to a flanking attack from the right of your Axis Of Advance.

As with machine guns and other fully automatic weapons, sharpshooters and their rifles are best deployed to a flank, whereas a simple bolt action or self-loading rifle is best employed in a line, en masse with others of its type, to produce maximum frontal fire. The sharpshooter (I call him that because he would appear to be employed by his Regiment rather than assigned by his Army) should seek a position which covers the widest possible arc. Then, firing from cover, he should aim to rapidly kill the enemy soldiers within that arc, widening it gradually until it is clear of enemy. A prime example of how this works is the Stalingrad City Hall scenario from the Fortress Stalingrad trio of battles.

In theory his comrades in the rifle line would take care of enemy movement to their direct front. In practice the sharpshooter would be deployed with a spotter and perhaps some flank protection. In the game in the scenario I mentioned, you are of course on your own so you must be very careful, especially as you must fire over your cover rather than around it. Once the street is clear, smoke must be thrown as far as possible to the sharpshooter's Centre Of Arc. In other words, to the far right end of the street as you face it.

When the smoke deploys, the sharpshooter should stand up and run like a stripe-assed gazelle towards a building on the left end of the street. His rifle line at the same time advances to cover in the street while he sorts out a German MG42 (for once, the gun is well-positioned). This is another example of an enemy tactical error; there should have been a standing patrol inside that building to cover this move. However after this position is cleared, the rest is routine fire-and-movement work.

A word on firing positions. When inside a building, do not fire directly from a window. If possible, stand up and fire from the shadow behind the window or door. Otherwise flatten yourself against the wall and fire around the left side of the window. That way the wall will provide cover and the enemy will see you through a very narrow arc, if they can see you at all. If forced to fire from the wrong side of the window, be very careful.

When advancing into buildings, make the maximum possible use of your HE grenades. A grenade or two or three or several should go into a room first, followed by automatic weapons fire. When on the defensive, look for choke-points and cover these with automatic fire and again, with grenades.

Always remember an oft-repeated piece of advice to new chums from old sweats: "Join the Army and see the world. Fail to use cover properly and you will soon see the next!"

Casey

How does it compare with Call Of Duty 3, which I have? That is WW2. Are the tactics still much the same? I note the following: In COD3, the only machine guns were German MG42's and they were in fixed positions. Usually they were not in good positions. A machine gun (or any fully automatic weapon) should fire perpendicular to your own or the enemy's Axis Of Advance. By contrast the MG42's in COD are nearly always found firing parellel to the Axis of Advance.

Tactics are much the same, except you have more machine guns, explosives like claymores, and C4 you can set and detonate with a switch.

A prime example of this error is the second scenario in COD3. In the last stage of this you (the Red Army) mount a counter-attack on a German position, a two storey building with a trench in front of it. The Germans are driven back through broken ground into this trench, but their machine guns are firing from the building's ground floor. Although the guns are protected in this way, they are rendered nearly useless in effect. The German position is strikingly vulnerable to a flanking attack from the right of your Axis Of Advance.

The mounted machine guns in buildings you can use are fixed, but the aiming is better, you can shot at anything in your field of vision.

As with machine guns and other fully automatic weapons, sharpshooters and their rifles are best deployed to a flank, whereas a simple bolt action or self-loading rifle is best employed in a line, en masse with others of its type, to produce maximum frontal fire. The sharpshooter (I call him that because he would appear to be employed by his Regiment rather than assigned by his Army) should seek a position which covers the widest possible arc. Then, firing from cover, he should aim to rapidly kill the enemy soldiers within that arc, widening it gradually until it is clear of enemy. A prime example of how this works is the Stalingrad City Hall scenario from the Fortress Stalingrad trio of battles.

The sniper in this game REALLY blends in good. I did the sniper "out in the open" in a field of grass. Nobody could see me! Laying down in the grass, the sniper suit *really* blends in well, and the sniper's firepower is great, one shot one kill.

In theory his comrades in the rifle line would take care of enemy movement to their direct front. In practice the sharpshooter would be deployed with a spotter and perhaps some flank protection. In the game in the scenario I mentioned, you are of course on your own so you must be very careful, especially as you must fire over your cover rather than around it. Once the street is clear, smoke must be thrown as far as possible to the sharpshooter's Centre Of Arc. In other words, to the far right end of the street as you face it.

When the smoke deploys, the sharpshooter should stand up and run like a stripe-assed gazelle towards a building on the left end of the street. His rifle line at the same time advances to cover in the street while he sorts out a German MG42 (for once, the gun is well-positioned). This is another example of an enemy tactical error; there should have been a standing patrol inside that building to cover this move. However after this position is cleared, the rest is routine fire-and-movement work.

A word on firing positions. When inside a building, do not fire directly from a window. If possible, stand up and fire from the shadow behind the window or door. Otherwise flatten yourself against the wall and fire around the left side of the window. That way the wall will provide cover and the enemy will see you through a very narrow arc, if they can see you at all. If forced to fire from the wrong side of the window, be very careful.

When advancing into buildings, make the maximum possible use of your HE grenades. A grenade or two or three or several should go into a room first, followed by automatic weapons fire. When on the defensive, look for choke-points and cover these with automatic fire and again, with grenades.

Always remember an oft-repeated piece of advice to new chums from old sweats: "Join the Army and see the world. Fail to use cover properly and you will soon see the next!"

Casey

COD4 is definitely the shit...

If anyone wants to play together sometime let me know by either posting here or PMing me.