Goodbye Jesus

Were You A Christian Teen?

Guest I Was the Youth Group

Guest I Was the Youth Group

Hey everybody.

I'm researching the experiences of Christian teens in the United States. I was a teenage Southern Baptist, and I'm particularly interested in the conversion and de-conversion stories of fellow ex-Christians who were most active in the church during their teenage years.

Another area of interest is Christian youth camps.

Right now I'm collecting responses here and via email; if anybody has two cents to throw in I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!

B.

(P.S. I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place to post this; please advise).

Goodbye Jesus
Here I wrote about my Christian youth. I'm from a very different culture so this probably isn't what you're looking for. I suggest you browse the Testimonies of Former Christians section on these forums. Almost everybody had some important experiences as teenagers--either conversion or deconversion or pregnancy or drug addiction or inferiority complex or bored of being ordinary or something. Few people skip over their teens when telling their stories, though some might. I think it's worth taking a look.

Hmmm.......I was raised a Baptist, and followed it until I was 16.

Being born into a Baptist (or any other religion) family makes it hard to not follow the religion, at least for awhile.

But when I deconverted, history classes is what really got me thinking. The 6,000 year old earth was challenged, I was told Christians were to blame for the fall of Rome (allthough not the sole reason), Gilgamesh was around before Noah, and many other things that contradicted the Bible. The only thing that went for the Bible, very slightly at that, was the cradle of civilization coming from the Middle East area. Which doesn't even hold up today.

That combined with a series of life taking a shit on me, really got me thinking. I remember dearly wanting to cling onto Christianity. Really though, it was all I had known. It was my life. It embarrasses me quite abit to be reminded of just how bad I was. And over the course of a few months, I slowly fell away from Christianity.

I filled out your survey - have fun with my responses. :wicked:

Grrrr... now I feel really sad.

I was gloriously slaved at the age of 19, and I was a Christian for the next 15 years of my life. But, I went through the Methodist confirmation process at the age of 13, and I had religious discussions with my Baptist neighbors during my middle teenage years. So I don't think I qualify as a "Christian teen" really, though I got very involved in religion in my late teens. I'll check out the survey. Glory!