Goodbye Jesus

My Perception Of God

Guest solarwave

Guest solarwave

Obviously, "God" is not real in the traditional sense of an old man with a white beard sitting on a throne in heaven. But I do believe (not just on an intellectual level but based on experience and feeling) in a different kind of "God." Let me say that I am no longer a Christian, but I am not an atheist either. I believe that God is in everything, or more accurately, God IS everything. God is the earth, the soil, the sun, the stars, the planets; God is you and God is me as well. God is every atom, every cell, every particle. God is every reaction, from a subatomic level to a volcanic eruption, from an emotion you feel to a war being fought. Every smile, every laugh, every tear. God is the wind, the rain, and the waves in the ocean. God is beauty, God is life, God is love. God is omnipotent; God knows everything because God IS everything. God is omnipresent because God IS everywhere at once. Everything is connected, everything is ONE because everything IS God. So where do humans fit in to this? The truly remarkable thing about being human is that we have the ability to be conscious of this; we can step back and realize that what we are apart of. That is the greatest ability of the human race. We are God experiencing God around us. Its mind boggling. In fact, it is quite impossible for the mind to understand this, just like the mind can not fathom infinity. It is something that can only be felt when you're completely still and you stop thinking. Have you ever been going through your day and something beautiful catches your eye, a flower or an animal maybe, and just for a moment or two you are completely still and you feel a deep connectedness with this world. That is the awakening of the God within yourself. It is infinite, and eternal. The problem humans have is that we let our minds take us over. We don't use our mind anymore, IT uses US. We ignore the beautiful things in the world and create pain, suffering, destruction, and discord. This is why we have racism, narrow-minded thinking, war, genocide, you name it. Its a dysfunction of the mind. It happens when we stop truly feeling things and just put our minds on auto-pilot. Its dangerous and if the human race is destined to destroy itself, the mind will be the tool of destruction.

Just my point of view

i like your G-d. Maybe he could come over to dinner one night..

Sounds quite a bit like native american theology.

I always had a soft spot in my heart for that. Too bad none of it is real though...

Sounds quite a bit like native american theology.

I always had a soft spot in my heart for that. Too bad none of it is real though...

Interesting pov. I was just thinking that EXACT same thing this morning. Pretty cool huh?

Scientists still can't explain quantum connected particles, so maybe......... :Hmm:

Personally I just take the next step and say the universe just IS...

Guest solarwave
Personally I just take the next step and say the universe just IS...

You got it.

Humans are always looking for easy answers to the big questions. Who am I? Why are we here? What happens after you die? We want answers. We want to label and organize things, its human nature. The mind is always thirsty for more knowledge, and loves to sink its teeth into a problem. But when the mind doesn't understand something or can't understand something, it does its best to compensate. What I mean by this is, it will take an abstract concept like God, something perfect / intangible / eternal, and form a convenient image of it so that we can think about it. Of course this doesn't reflect the true nature of things, but the mind does not know the difference. The reality is, you can not truly KNOW something by thinking about it, it must be felt from deep within. For example, you can read every book ever written about honey. You can compare facts all day long and think about it until the day you die, but you will never truly KNOW what honey is until you taste it. Similarly, you can not truly know what the universe or God is until you realize that you ARE God, you ARE the universe, and if you can quiet your mind long enough, you can FEEL the essence of the universe within yourself and connect with it. Only when you move past labels and forms and trying to understand things with your mind and learn to accept things simply as they are, can you begin to see the incredible beauty that is all around you. Once this portal has opened for you, you can reside in a state of peace and harmony with the universe. A place beyond the world of form, beyond happiness and suffering, beyond good and evil... you transcend to the sacred world of Being.

So you are exactly correct by saying that "the universe is". God is infinite, and thus can not be explained or proven by the mind, nor does it need to be. It simply is as it is. God isn't something that can be defined or pinned down to a finite form. God (the universe and everything in existence) simply is...

:grin:

I used to think as you do. I called myself a pantheist.

And If I were to believe in any kind of God it would be that pantheist one.

But sometimes the poetic heart likes to drag the rational mind along with it into naive romanticism.

I prefer not to let my poetic heart do my rational thinking for me anymore. I don't do the opposite either though - which is why I think there is some worth and value in metaphors and poetic language.

I accept both my poetic heart and my rational mind. I let my mind do the thinking. But I let my heart do the feeling.

So I have a place for moments of 'mystical' wonder, where I feel connected to the Universe.

But I try not to place human characteristics such as consciousness onto the Universe. I feel the connectedness, the wonder and the awe - the 'all things are one' feelings (because it is true scientifically - all things are made of the same stuff). But I also accept the Universe on its own terms and don't expect it to be anything but what it is.

But each to their own. I don't have any problems at all with your version of God. It is a philosophy I can comfortably co-exist with :)

But I try not to place human characteristics such as consciousness onto the Universe. I feel the connectedness, the wonder and the awe - the 'all things are one' feelings (because it is true scientifically - all things are made of the same stuff). But I also accept the Universe on its own terms and don't expect it to be anything but what it is.

But each to their own. I don't have any problems at all with your version of God. It is a philosophy I can comfortably co-exist with :)

Agreed!