Goodbye Jesus

One Christian's Rant

R. S. Martin

Another Generation

by T. C. French Jr.

January 1, 2001

WE MUST LASH CHRISTIAN EDUCATION TO THE BIBLE

Consider this scenario. A Baptist student graduates from high school and desires a Christian education in a Baptist college. He enrolls and attends his first religion class with great eagerness. On the first day, before the first lecture begins, the professor tells his class, "When you walk through the door and into this class you are to forget what you learned in Sunday school and church and at home about the Bible. I intend to teach you to think for yourself and to decide what you believe is the truth." What the professor is saying is, "Objective truth does not matter. Only what you believe is true." Add to this a few sneers, a little ridicule, and some high sounding phrases and the respect of the student for the sacred book has been destroyed. Four years later the student will graduate, believing that he received a Christian education but doubting the truthfulness of God's Word and spouting the mantra, "They taught me how to think."

Let me guess. T. C. French probably made up that bit about "sneers, a little ridicule, and high sounding phrases." People who are thinking critically are too busy thinking and evaluating their entire faith system for that crap.

I guess he thinks a totalitarian education wihtout free will or personal thought or belief is the right way. He wants to go back to the Catholic Church rule, with inquisition and oppression of independent thought. "Do what you are told. Believe what you are told. And don't even consider ever to think outside of our guidelines." i.e. Religious dictatorship and mind control.

And they say Christianity isn't dangerous?

It's part of a much longer article/sermon and just now I read some more. I guess the guy graduated from seminary about the time you and I were born--middle of 20th century. He wrote that stuff in 2001. Old school stuff. Can't handle us younguns doing stuff our own way, thinking for ourselves.

But yeah, I thought at least there's hope if there are Baptist seminary profs who tell their students that. I can see a guy that age wanting to sit at the top of the roost in total control. Doesn't have to be Catholic. Baptist will do just fine.

It's the mind of a prideful and egocentric person, in other words, all that Christians claim they're against. Isn't that great? The "perfect" or True Christian™ is the one that completely lives and thinks totally diametrical to their teachings. (Quite obvious to all of us outsiders)

It's the mind of a prideful and egocentric person, in other words, all that Christians claim they're against. Isn't that great? The "perfect" or True Christianâ„¢ is the one that completely lives and thinks totally diametrical to their teachings. (Quite obvious to all of us outsiders)

:3:

Sometimes I think that's how they "know" what we're like. All they do is decribe themselves. After all, they insist that's what they're like. Only they insert a clause about Jesus making them not like that. :shrug:

I think I stumbled on an effective music therapy to deal with some of the chaos inside of me caused by a lot of the cognitive dissonance. (I hope the neighbours are safely engrossed with their own projects; it's not turned up that high).

I've got a CD of religious Christmas music playing and some Dan Barker music off the internet. Both evoke some pretty strong feelings. Esp. strong is Pie in the Sky to the tune of Sweet Bye and Bye. So God imparts to human hearts...Give your money to Jesus..he will cure all deseases!