Goodbye Jesus

I think I've found a way to get rid of the

bluewizard

This is a little unusual and I don't believe it's true but if it'd true it proves you don't go to Hell for not being religious. I was reading people's NDE's and people of all religions and atheists had heavenly NDE's while even some religious people such as an xtian preacher had a hellish NDE. This proves if there is an afterlife I won't go to Hell for simply not becoming an xtian. But I don't believe it anyways and it's just oxygen escaping the brain that makes you feel that way you're having an NDE, so this should end my fear of Hell and make me a comfortable atheist.

Guest BLau

bluewizard,

Do all people who come close to dying have NDEs? I never had one, at least not one I can remember. I went through a windshield of my mom's car when I was 4 (I'm 29 now) and was in cardiac arrest. The only thing I can remember was making a fuss about sitting in the front seat, and I'm not even sure if that had anything to do with the accident. I don't recall having a NDE.

bluewizard,

Do all people who come close to dying have NDEs?  I never had one, at least not one I can remember.  I went through a windshield of my mom's car when I was 4  (I'm 29 now) and was in cardiac arrest.  The only thing I can remember was making a fuss about sitting in the front seat, and I'm not even sure if that had anything to do with the accident.  I don't recall having a NDE.

I think an NDE is just oxygen escaping the brain sort of like a dream and seom people actually buy into it like an atheist ha d ahellish NDE and he became an xtian minister. It's just a dream if anything or hallucination.

I think an NDE is just oxygen escaping the brain sort of like a dream and seom people actually buy into it like an atheist ha d ahellish NDE and he became an xtian minister.  It's just a dream if anything or hallucination.

I agree. I have read books by Moody, i.e. "Life after life". Even in his latest book he becomes sarcastic and is unbelieving in parts. Some stories are odd, though. Only a few people who come near death actually have a NDE and it doesnt matter what your religion, its always the same. If it can be re-created in a lab with the drug Ketamine, then obviously you dont have to actually be dead to have this experience, your brain only needs to slightly believe you are dying. Dont you think a "God" would be able to tell the difference and not send you on a journey quite yet?

I think NDEs are simply hallucinations. If they have been recreated in laboratory experiments, that proves they aren't real. If there is anything on the other side, it has nothing to do with what people hallucinate.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest samurai_cowboy

On Near Death/Out of Body Experiences:

Michael Persinger

Melvin Morse

Wilder Penfield

Willoughby Britton

The last one is particularly relevant to the topic at hand because it appears people who have near death experiences have, on average, improved attitudes on death, and a far lower tendancy to be at risk for depression. REM sleep is a good indicator; average people enter 90 minutes into sleep, depressed people enter only 60 minutes in. NDE survivors in the study entered an average of 110 minutes in. It seems they also need less sleep than people who have not had NDEs.

So, from a materialistic perspective, NDEs seem to be a survival tool that helps people cope with traumatic experiences. From a religious perspective... well, they aren't evidence of any afterlife, in any case.