Goodbye Jesus

Definitions

syndacit

I wasn't sure if there has been a posting of this yet

But I think we should define some words

cause I'm talking the myspace forum (haha) and the question came up

What is the difference between a Heathen and a Pagan?

What is the actual definition of these words for each religion?

cause a lot of religions and people use these terms in different ways

What other words are used differently in religions.

Please coment on this and repost some words you think should be defined

thanks for the obvious one haha

but seriously

define

Pagan

Heathen and other such words

Those terms originally derived from the early xtian labelling of those in the countryside and small villages who were dissipated or difficult to pin down by missionaries, and so kept their original beliefs longer than those in the cities. Now pagan means everything from the indigenous religions of Europe, (Hellinism, Nordic, Celtic, goddess worship etc) to any non xtians faiths, even science (meant as a crude insult). Same applies to heathen, most often used by xtians in the 18-19th centuries to describe native believers in the New world, Afica, Asia etc. Very condesending. Especially when you consider that xtianity is more pagan than pagan. Elitism really, same with “infidel“ and the bloody Muslims. See also godless, damned, un-saved, dweller in darkness, innocent, faithless, atheist, all often applied to other religions.

pagan (Middle English pagus) = person/peasant from the country

Christianity was a city religion. All the farmers in the hills still had their agricultural gods and icons. Plus, early Christians referred to themselves as 'milites', soldiers. Those not in the army (of Christ) were the pagans, the open countrymen.

heathen comes from the same origin. People from the heath. People from the country.

What is the difference between a Heathen and a Pagan?

What is the actual definition of these words for each religion?

As far as I know, both words mean the same, just in different languages: A land-dweller. "Pagan" derives from Roman "Paganus" if memory serves, and "heathen", well... heathens were/are those who practice their religion out in the heath, instead of in a cold dark stone temple. ;) Both terms usually refer to the followers of the pre-christian nature religions, like Celtic druidism or Asatru.

Of course, the fundies' definition of both is "Everyone who doesn't kiss jehoover's arse". :Hmm: