Goodbye Jesus

Local Dj's 2 Y/o Son Drowned

xandermac

rickandbubba

This used to be a funny radio show I listened to for years. Rick Burgess 2 year old drowned after falling into their swimming pool Sat. This is so sad, but it's turning into a huge alter call on the radio this morning.

They didn't used to be a religious show but the more popular they got the more conservative christian the show got. I quit listening years ago but was saddened by the news of that baby's death. The father (Rick) is going to speak or I guess preach at the memorial service. They are saying his death is leading people to christ. Rick had prayed that morning for god to use him in ways as never before and this happens. I find this all crazy. They're using this child's death. Bubba was on Fox and Friends this morning talking about how the family wants this to be a celebration of christ and jesus, jesus, blah.

Listening in this morning I got almost caught up in the emotion. I haven't experienced a death of a loved one since finding out the truth. I remember that feeling of thinking that loved one was with jesus. Now I know that death is death. I'm not sure how I will deal with it. It's a scary thought. I don't even know these people and I'm not sure why this has provoked so much thought from me.

They didn't used to be a religious show but the more popular they got the more conservative christian the show got. I quit listening years ago but was saddened by the news of that baby's death. The father (Rick) is going to speak or I guess preach at the memorial service. They are saying his death is leading people to christ. Rick had prayed that morning for god to use him in ways as never before and this happens. I find this all crazy. They're using this child's death. Bubba was on Fox and Friends this morning talking about how the family wants this to be a celebration of christ and jesus, jesus, blah.

Reminds me of that xtian guy who died of bone cancer who attended my former community college. Everyone said the same thing about his suffering and death leading people to jesus, though when I talked to some of my classmates who first heard of his death from our professor a year later they all went the alternative religion route. Some like me became agnostics or atheists, then there was the guy who thought devil worship was the path to go as he said "The Christian God is cruel and blames Satan on all the cruelity he has done." One student even joined the campus Islamic Club and I saw him praying towards Mecca on campus once in a while. I guess when someone xtian dies it's not always going to lead the majority to Jeebus- especially if the deceased was an innocent child or a very good, law abiding young adult like the guy at my school.

How does the kid dying lead people to jeebus? The only thing it leads me to is confusion as to how a 2 year old drowned in a pool.

How does the kid dying lead people to jeebus? The only thing it leads me to is confusion as to how a 2 year old drowned in a pool.

He apparently got out of a locked door while the mom was in the shower.

They are saying that if his death leads one person to christ then it won't be in vain. Does that mean it will be worth it?

They said he is in heaven standing by jesus and jesus is saying you can go back, but the child says no I am home now I'll just wait for my family. Nuts. Just plain nuts.

Somebody wasn't watching the kid, so I blame it on negligence. Using a person's negligence, sorry judgment and personal suffering to gain followers is just fucking suck. There is no other way to put it.

It's like it says in my sig: "Reality means you live until you die. The real truth is nobody wants reality."

Sorry to hear about the kid though. I've heard a few of the prank calls those guys do. Just hilarious.

They are saying that if his death leads one person to christ then it won't be in vain. Does that mean it will be worth it?

They said he is in heaven standing by jesus and jesus is saying you can go back, but the child says no I am home now I'll just wait for my family. Nuts. Just plain nuts.

It is a blanket refusal to accept the finality of death. I have known people become very religous over the death of their child. It hits people different ways. They are looking for a way to give their child's life meaning. It is sad.

So if a person's suffering and death leads people to christ, does that mean we should worship that person like jesus? After all, they "went through the pain" to show people the truth just like jesus.

He apparently got out of a locked door while the mom was in the shower.

:Hmm::scratch:

A 2 year old Houdini???

I'm not saying it's impossible for a kid to do this, I know it is. But I also remember there are these plastic things that go over door handles that are specifically designed to prevent this kind of thing. Door Knob Covers.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/grand/12steps/12steps.html

Number 3 from the site, bolded emphasis mine:

3 Use Door Knob Covers and Door Locks to help prevent children from entering rooms and other areas with possible dangers. Door knob covers and door locks can help keep children away from places with hazards, including swimming pools.

Be sure the door knob cover is sturdy enough not to break, but allows a door to be opened quickly by an adult in case of emergency. By restricting access to potentially hazardous rooms in the home, door knob covers could help prevent many kinds of injuries. To prevent access to swimming pools, door locks should be placed high out of reach of young children. Locks should be used in addition to fences and door alarms. Sliding glass doors, with locks that must be re-secured after each use, are often not an effective barrier to pools.

Typical cost of a door knob cover: $1 and door lock: $5 and up.

So...people are going to be led to Jesus because these careless people chose not to spend a buck on one plastic door knob cover?

Even better...WHY was this woman taking a shower when her husband obviously wasn't home to keep an eye on the kid? Let me think.... a wet slippery room with sound distortions, add streaming water so you can't even HEAR (or see) anything far beyond the enclosure of the shower, much less hear beyond the room itself. Sounds like a GREAT place for the sole adult to be for 10 - 20 minutes with a young child present!

I never want to face that. I can't imagine. You're right Madame. He may not feel that way later. Like I said I've yet to suffer a loss since my deconversion. I hope I never do. I just wonder if it's harder for an atheist knowing they'll never see them again in the afterlife.

A 2 year old Houdini???

You never cared for me, my brother, or any of my God sons. There was little that could hold any of us

• Admin
I just wonder if it's harder for an atheist knowing they'll never see them again in the afterlife.

Christians don't know anything about it -- they just tell themselves that they "believe" that they'll see one another in the afterlife. I don't think there are many Christians who honestly believe all that nonsense. I say that because the Christian who really believes that this life is just a stepping stone to a bigger and better reality wouldn't have a twinge of sadness or pain when someone died. There would be no need to dream up some "great purpose" in a person's death. The great purpose is heaven!

A 2 year old Houdini???

You never cared for me, my brother, or any of my God sons. There was little that could hold any of us

I acknowledged that in the rest of my post.

Still, the victim (2 years old) shouldn't be blamed. And parents are suposed to notice if their kid happens to be a pint size escape artist, and secure the house properly. Or...take their showers when the other parent is present.

To me, there's little difference between this, and leaving the kid alone in the bathtub for 'just a second' while a parent goes to answer the phone.

God, no blame... but the mother wasn't at fault really. Kids are infinitely inventive. It's what got us to the top of the food chain. Unfortunately, it also gets us dead... I nearly lost my tongue in a teething accident... I'd escaped my crib, and got into mum's wardrobe. In the time it took to have a pee, and I was choking on blood... go figure. Worst one under the big gates and up the ladder behind my dad... he was cleaning the house gutters... I am a trial to my parents...

I am a trial to my parents...

Still? :P

Well, I killed one of them, so only my mother now :fdevil:

If Jesus needs to let toddlers drown in order to gain more followers, He's one sick motherfucker.

If Jesus needs to let toddlers drown in order to gain more followers, He's one sick motherfucker.

God is also a sick fuck if he allows kids to get leukemia and other horrible diseases to make him more powerful. :vent:

I've heard of the show. I was a big Taylor Hicks fan a couple years ago and they did a lot to show support for him during the American Idol season. It's a shame to hear this kind of tragic news.

I listened to a little of Rick's speech from the memorial service. He didn't say a lot about the little guy except that he was with god who loved him more. He went on to say that no matter what you accomplish in your life that it's not as important as being a god warrior.

I for one was embarrassed that his sidekick Bubba went on national tv and testified.

I listened to a little of Rick's speech from the memorial service. He didn't say a lot about the little guy except that he was with god who loved him more. He went on to say that no matter what you accomplish in your life that it's not as important as being a god warrior.

Riiiiiight, tell that to the family of atheists down the road who lost a child. (just emotional anger, not a real case)