Goodbye Jesus

RECOVERING CATHOLIC

Guest juanaznarf

Guest juanaznarf

Hello People,

I'm new here and I would like to say what a fresh breath of air this site is. I don't know where to begin.

I was born into a large catholic family. Initially, my grandparents would take me to church as a child. From a very early age, my slate was corrupted with what I equal to brainwashing. That really is how I view it. I view organized religion, all of them, as glorified cults. I always find it amusing whenever I have the displeasure of trying to have a rational discussion with a xian, that if I bring up the "C" word (cult) they immediately go on the defensive. Why is this? What makes Benny Hinn any different than Jim Jones? I am willing to bet any amount of money that if Mr. Hinn designed this great scheme to take his followers on a cruize and while on that cruize asked his followers to drink some Kool-Aid, they would be fighting to get to the front of the line. That may be a bit exagerated but, my point is that there is a very fine line that separates "conventional" religions from what is deemed to be a "cult." Simply put, the only thing that keeps christianity from being classified as a cult is that there are SO many people who are "members" of the aformentioned religion. No one in their right mind would ever allow themselves to pigeonholed into such a classification, especially when the media has misconstrued what a cult is and what a religion is. They are binary to one another. For instance, what makesDavid Koresh a "cult" leader and Pat Roberson not? David Koresh had far fewer followers than Pat Robertson. David Koresh didn't have a HUGE media outlet to disseminate . propaganda, Pat Robertson does. Not only that but, David Koresh and Pat Robertson alike support violence on those who disagree with them, ie: homosexuals, atheists, muslims, etc... Another point: It's often discovered that sexual deviancy is at the root of a cults mantra. People often set up a cult for sexual escapades under the "cloak" of god. Sound familiar? Koresh, it was discovered, was having sex with adolesent girls, impregnating some of them as early as 12 years old. Sound pretty sick, doesn't it? Hmmm, let's see...I can't ever recall a church being scrutinized for similar reasons, can you? The catholic church, who in my opionion is worlds largest employer of sexual predators, is to a fault one of the most guilty organizations in world history for such atrocities. Then, you have the Jahovah's Sickness'. At least their scandal didn't involve little boys. In this case, "straight" predators were at the center of their scandal. And that makes it better. Puke! So, I ask you, what differentiates these accepted "religions" from being cults. Is it because they do "good" in the community? Hmmm, the moonies aren't going around the world and proselytizing the advantages of buying a 99cent rose, the Hare Krishna's aren't shoving their free soups and stickers down anyone's throat, are they. I actually have a friend who is a former Hare Krishna, and he is one of the kindest, most generous and pious people I know. And you know what, he's an atheist. He understands that it is good to be a good person , not out of the expectation of a reward, but simply because it is GOOD to be GOOD. It doen't take some neurotic fudamentalist preacher, priest or freakin' deacon to figure that out. I don't know what happened when the universe was formed, I don't know what happens when you die. And neither does anyone else.

The stoic philosopher, Seneca said:

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.

In todays world, that has never been more true.

Juan

Welcome to the site. I totally agree with what you have said.

I've already welcomed you with your first post, Juan, but now I'll welcome your words and your attitude.

You'll fit in fine. Pull up a chair. Have some of Sister Reach's delicious brownies.

Welcome to the site, Juan! I suspect you'll find a lot of folks here who are on the same wavelength. And if Reach gives you any of her delicious brownies, as a moderator, the forum rules state that you have to give me fifty percent of your take. :lol:

Enjoy the forums, Juan. You might also want to check out the archived articles here.

Loren

Welcome Juan!

Pull up a keyboard and enjoy your stay!

PR

Guest juanaznarf

Well Kids,

That hospitality is greatly appreciated. My wife is going to love the Tom Cruize pic. She's a psychologist who also doesn't know anything about psychiatry. I can't stand that guy anymore. Although, I did go see War of the Worlds and it was pretty kick ass. Not as good as Batman, but kick ass nonetheless.

So...what's up with the brownies?

Juan

Welcome Juan!

Recognized as the most delicious cyber-brownies in seventeen nations, Juan.

I view organized religion, all of them, as glorified cults. I always find it amusing whenever I have the displeasure of trying to have a rational discussion with a xian, that if I bring up the "C" word (cult) they immediately go on the defensive. Why is this?

I agree entirely. Most people, especially religious people, have this mistaken notion of cults as being obviously harmful. Like, they think you could literally see abuse going on, as if all the members would have physical scars or black eyes or look starved, or have an "I'm being abused by a cult!" sticker on their foreheads. Nuh-uh. Not all cults beat their members into submission, but that doesn't mean they don't cause psychological harm. The guilt trip that Christianity lays on people for just being human is pretty harmful in the long run.

So, I ask you, what differentiates these accepted "religions" from being cults. Is it because they do "good" in the community?
Yep. Because they give a few cans of soup or a few dollars to the poor once in a while instead of their own ministers or fix-up-the-building funds, they're allowed to have "religion" and not "cult" status.

Stupid double standards.

Welcome aboard!

(the brownies are "adult" brownies, nudge, nudge, know what I mean?)

That may be a bit exagerated but, my point is that there is a very fine line that separates "conventional" religions from what is deemed to be a "cult."

Are there any conventional religions that are not cults?