Goodbye Jesus

I'm Sure My Friend Has Learned About Me Being An Atheist

bluewizard

During my Philosophy class I'm pretty sure one of my friends from high school now knows I'm an atheist because I raised my hand when the professor asked me and I discussed that I didn't see a good reason to believe in God, I'm like the only one in there, but I don't know how he'll take it me being one, I don't go around telling my friends my religious beliefs, so I really don't know what to expect, I''m prepared for whatever, denial, conversion attempts, etc.. I was a little too worried concerning him knowing but I feel better and don't have that anxiety now that he knows I'm one, has this ever happened to any of you before? Being an atheist really isn't a common thing here so I've basically decided this "If anyone doesn't want me as a friend because I'm an atheist I don't need "friends" like that"

• Super Moderator
During my Philosophy class I'm pretty sure one of my friends from high school now knows I'm an atheist because I raised my hand when the professor asked me and I discussed that I didn't see a good reason to believe in God, I'm like the only one in there, but I don't know how he'll take it me being one, I don't go around telling my friends my religious beliefs, so I really don't know what to expect, I''m prepared for whatever, denial, conversion attempts, etc.. I was a little too worried concerning him knowing but I feel better and don't have that anxiety now that he knows I'm one, has this ever happened to any of you before? Being an atheist really isn't a common thing here so I've basically decided this "If anyone doesn't want me as a friend because I'm an atheist I don't need "friends" like that"

Doesn't it feel good coming out of the atheist closet? Congratulations on speaking up in class. Not everyone has the courage.

This could be an opportunity to meet other atheists and freethinkers. By no means will everyone turn against you! When people ask you why you don't believe in their god, just be prepared to give them answers. You might even get some converts!

- Chris

I say, good for you. Congratulations on coming out of the Atheist closet. I am not sure how to specifically advise you on future interactions, as I'm still figuring out that kind of thing myself, but I think it's good you're being true to who you really are.

Congrats on coming out, I just hope you don't suffer too many repercussions for it. People can be horribly ignorant, and I hope that they don't unjustly fear or ridicule you.

On that note, if you do feel so inclined, you could always pull an Ozzy for kicks - oh, and remember to tattoo those triple-6's onto your skull!. :wicked:

Good luck. I think that every situation is different and you have to decide what will work best with each person.

Even though it describes my beliefs, I've been trying to avoid the word "atheist." As soon as you say that I think a lot of xians freak out and don't hear anything else. Lately I've been saying that I just don't believe in any invisible supernatural beings. When you put it that way, I think it sounds much more reasonable. If they really thought about it, they wouldn't believe it either.