Goodbye Jesus

I'm Having Problems With Pot...

Fweethawt

Anyway, I have this 3-gallon stock pot that I use for various things ranging from making soup, homemade noodles, wine and barbeque sauce.

This past weekend (last Friday, actually), I made about a gallon of BBQ sauce for some ribs that I made for a party at my aunt's house. As usual, my sauce turned out most excellently. :grin:

But somehow, this time, I didn't stir it often enough and I ended up with a burnt sugar blotch all over the bottom of my pot. This pot is one of those enameled ones. It's painted gray with white speckles.

It's something like this one, just a different shape and color:

Boil-Kettle.jpg

So, my question is, HOW THE HELL DO I GET THE BURNT SUGAR OFF OF THE BOTTOM OF MY POT?!?!?!?!?11111ONE1!11111 :vent:

I've been soaking it and scrubbing it for about 5 days now, and that shit ain't comin' off!!! Right now, I have a layer of corn oil in the bottom of it hoping that that will loosen the stuff. But I doubt it will. That shit is freakin' ON there, man!

Any ideas? :shrug:

:Hmm:

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Well - Fwee - where I hale from - some of the old timers would take your pot and soak Lutefisk in it. The lye would probably kill or remove any prior scars of use. :grin:

In case you're not familiar with Lutefisk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

That's rough.

I'd try some large-grain kosher salt, and scrub it with that. It acts as an abrasive and sometimes can help get atuff off.

Cillit Bang 50% with water solution... simmer (don't gallop boil) until you get flakey bits up... oh and open a window unless you want to recreate a WWI gas attack in the kitchen

If it's not Really cremated in you could try a dishwasher tab or washing up liquid before something as inherently vile as Cillit Bang...

I swear by the stuff... Dawn Power Dissolver Spray.

Pour some vinegar in the bottom and let it soak. This is really a surprisingly good cleaner! Also, some CLR might work as well..

I use the trick Grandpa Harley said, it works really well. I'm always burning stuff onto pots.

I'm always burning stuff onto pots.

yah me too, I'm always burning pot onto stuff... wait a minute - I mean - - ah er scuse me I mean I have trouble with Pots too. :lmao:

Pour in lots of baking soda and boil a few minutes. Then it should come loose enough to scrape off. It's been a long time since I cooked in that kind of pot so I forget the details.

You've soaked it for 5 days? I'm afraid you have a pot addiction. Throw it out an get a new one.

You've soaked it for 5 days? I'm afraid you have a pot addiction. Throw it out an get a new one.
There's - just - no - way - I - can - let - it - go - . :mellow:

Seriously... I can't throw it out. It's a good pot. And it doesn't have that many miles on it. :shrug:

I haven't been home yet to see if the corn oil did anything. If it doesn't, I'll probably try the baking soda trick first since it seems like the easiest thing to try at first. Maybe even baking soda and vinegar? Who knows? Gotta try somethin', ya'know? :shrug:

I dont really have any miracle formula to fix this. When I have this problem I just go in with a scouring pad and dish soap until one of us dies...

Well - Fwee - where I hale from - some of the old timers would take your pot and soak Lutefisk in it. The lye would probably kill or remove any prior scars of use. :grin:

Ooh, pure eeevil... :lmao:

I sometimes try soaking the stuff off with baking soda.

But, in truly desperate situations (translation: When I'm completely fed up and want the pot back now), I go down to my workshop, hone a chisel, and scrape the %#$@ stuff off.

Mind you, I have stainless steel pots rather than enamel ones.

Sand and water and a lot o' elbow grease mate. It's called dixie-bashin' by some.

Casey

some good ideas, but I still favour a 'better life through chemistry'

I had a favorite baking dish that I didn't wanna let go of...alas, it's in some landfill, now.

I would give the vinegar and baking soda a try, ere you toss you're beloved pot out onto the great garbage pile o'life.

Best of luck.

Does anyone else hear Taps playing?

Ooh, pure eeevil... :lmao:

Hello Astreja .....

I affirm then, being from Canada and all .... that you may be familiar with Lutefisk???? :wicked: I suppose it depends on where you live in Canada, for sure..... :grin:

But, you may have a few old-time Norskis around... :wicked:

But... cha know..... that Lutefisk - it's good for more than jist eatn :)

I haven't been home yet to see if the corn oil did anything. If it doesn't, I'll probably try the baking soda trick first since it seems like the easiest thing to try at first. Maybe even baking soda and vinegar? Who knows? Gotta try somethin', ya'know? :shrug:

OK, first, baking soda is high alkaline. Vinegar is acetic acid. The two would cancel each other out. Vinegar works well due to the acid. Baking soda as well, like rubysera said, is ALSO good, but it is on the opposite end of the spectrum.

What I would do is first, soak it in undiluted vinegar for a day, if that does not work, then try powdering a layer of baking soda in the bottom of it while only damp. If acid don't do it, the alkaline will.

Now, IF both of those things don't work, try CLR and if ALL ELSE FAILS, get a brass wire brush (brass, cause it's soft) that fits on the end of a drill and buff it out.

I guarrentee you if you do the above you WILL save the pot.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out exactly how to get the pot clean... :scratch:

I left it sit on the kitchen counter until my aunt got tired of looking at it.

Then she cleaned it... :mellow:

:HaHa:

Mo'fuggah spick'n span now, boyeeeeeee!

But... cha know..... that Lutefisk - it's good for more than jist eatn :)

My experience would suggest consumption is one of the few things it's not good for...

Now that is how we lazy folks like to see things done!

Now that is how we lazy folks like to see things done!
I'm not lazy... :mellow:

I'm just extremely patient... :mellow:

And since patience is a virtue, my reward for my virtuous character lead to the pot being cleaned. :mellow:

Er, somethin' like that... :HaHa:

I thought it was a case of you don't have a dog and bark yourself, not that I'm saying your aunt is a dog, you understand... I'm sure she's a MILF...

I affirm then, being from Canada and all .... that you may be familiar with Lutefisk???? :wicked:

I'm of Norwegian descent on the maternal side. I've been *warned* about that stuff. Haven't tried it... Yet... But eventually I will.

Because I've already subjected myself to Weird Cuisine™ from the Scottish side of my family. (Yes, the dread haggis. Not once, but twice.)

I affirm then, being from Canada and all .... that you may be familiar with Lutefisk???? :wicked:

I'm of Norwegian descent on the maternal side. I've been *warned* about that stuff. Haven't tried it... Yet... But eventually I will.

Because I've already subjected myself to Weird Cuisine™ from the Scottish side of my family. (Yes, the dread haggis. Not once, but twice.)

Yaahhh, Yaahhh.... I've never tried it either. After my brother-in-law lost a good pair of jeans helping prepare Lutefisk, I decided it wasn't for me. The lye ate right through them. :grin: Dah old timers around here eat it like it's candy, though. They've got a certain amount of respect from me - for that alone. ;)