Goodbye Jesus

Ponder this next time you see your doc...

pandora

These things are obvious when it comes to birth control and abortion, but did you know that the rest of your care could well be affected by your doctor's religious beliefs? The sad thing is they have the legal right to treat as they see fit merely because they have the magical "M.D." after their name. I hate the medical system in this country.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story....0705doctors_god

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - The majority of doctors believe in God and attend religious services, and more than half say their religious beliefs affect how they practice medicine, according to new survey results.

Study author Dr. Farr A. Curlin of the University of Chicago in Illinois said he was "surprised" at the findings, given that previous studies have shown that scientists are less religious than the general population, and religious beliefs tend to diminish as education and income levels increase.

However, the field of medicine involves caring for others, and therefore may attract spiritual people, Curlin said. "Medicine, at its core, is a moral practice," he noted.

For the study, Curlin and his colleagues mailed surveys about religious beliefs to 2,000 doctors practicing in the U.S. Sixty-three percent of doctors returned the survey.

Seventy-six percent said they believed in God, and 90 percent attended religious services at least sometimes, similar to rates reported by the general population. Fifty-five percent of respondents said that their religious beliefs influence how they practice medicine, the researchers note in the Journal of General Internal Medicine.

Doctors were more likely than people in the general population to say they are spiritual but not religious, and to make decisions without relying on God, the survey found.

In an interview, Curlin said he suspected that religious beliefs may influence doctors when they encounter issues related to sexual and reproductive health, and when treating patients who are facing death, such as in end-of-life care.

In addition, doctors who are religious may respond differently to people who are depressed, or dealing with chronic pain, "if they make sense of that human experience in religious terms," Curlin suggested.

He added that he and his colleagues are currently investigating how doctors' religious beliefs may be influencing their practice.

SOURCE: Journal of General Internal Medicine, July 2005

Years ago I read a survey on choosing doctors. As I remember it the majority of people put more thought and effort into finding a mechanic than finding a primary doctor.

Doctors should be interviewed to see how well the fit is with you tha patient and the doctor who you are going to trust with your body.

I am fortunate in having a great doctor who is honestly interested in my opinion on my health. I have never been prescribed medications or treatments (by this doctor) without my receiving all of the information availed to me before the prescripton was written.

He holds the same views as I on life support issues which to me is very important. I interviewed three other doctors before finally choosing my current one.

This man litterally may hold my life in his hands one day and I'm happy to trust his judgement. I hope others have the same.

PR

Many people don't have a choice, though. They can't afford to go except wherever their insurance company tells them to go. It's not like shopping for a pair of jeans (or even a new car), at least, not in the U.S.

"Medicine, at its core, is a moral practice," he noted.

If only!

I know what you mean, Pandora.

We had the good fortune to have as our primary care doctor a man who sincerely wanted to improve individual and community health. He wrenched a walk-in clinic out of a heels-dug-in bunch of bozos here. He talked hopefully with me about the inevitable collapse of the capitalist system when I went to him 3-months depressed after the stolen election of 2000. He tried to get other programs instituted here in our backwoods New York Republican stronghold but was blocked at every turn. He moved away.

Somewhere in Virginia there's a very lucky community.

Many people don't have a choice, though.  They can't afford to go except wherever their insurance company tells them to go.  It's not like shopping for a pair of jeans (or even a new car), at least, not in the U.S.

I too have to stay within my insurance plan. But went through the listing of their approved doctors. I'm sure that in smaller areas it's difficult and people need to do the best they can. But I just wanted to make the point that everyone has a choice and should use it.

PR

As for a docctor not being compelled to act....overall, I feel this is a good thing. A doctor should not be forced to use a treatment that they feel is inappropriate to the case. The discretion is often a key thing, as many times, the proceedure/drug/treatment that the patient wants would actually be inimical. Religion notwithstanding, this ability must be in place.