Goodbye Jesus

Last Night's Bullshit!

Mr. Neil

Last night's episode was yet another religious debunkathon, and boy was it good! This one idiot doctor set about trying to prove that the weight of the body could be supported by the hands, if the body was also supported at the feet. But to do this, his live subject, whom he crucified, had to be wearing special leather harnessing gloves that would hang from the nails in the cross, thus defeating the entire experiment.

One needs to keep in mind that the evidence he was trying to debunk was one in which cadavers were crucified, and the weight of the body were such on the hands that they tore right through the flesh. Personally, I think Mel Gibson's solution was much better, as he had the wrists bound to the cross as well (which actually kind of defeats the purpose of the nails, but oh well...).

But why the hell would he even try to prove that Jesus was crucified through the hands? Why not something more logical, like the wrists!? Oh, because the fucking Shroud of Turin has woulds through the palms! So like your average Joe Blow fucking apologist, he starts with the absurd and vows to construct an argument around that absurdity. JimmyDTD would love this guy!

This episode also delt with graven images in which Jesus and Mary appear in doors, sandwiches, clouds, and feces. ...Okay, they didn't really show feces, but I bet you could find Jesus in a turd if you really looked.

There was this one broad who had Jesus eyes on her bathroom door which cured her son's headache. Yep. And below the Jesus eyes was the image of Jesus... or Mary... depending on which family member you asked. Personally, I think all Mary images look like vaginas.

I've said this before, but as an cartoonist, I'm particularly familiar with this phenomenon, as I see images in stuff like wood grain and carpetting all the time! I honestly don't know why people think that this is a big deal. It really isn't. I bet I could find a hundred Jesuses (Jesii?!) in any given bathroom door if you gave me a few hours.

We're pattern-seekers. All humans do it to some extent. It's one of those goofy quirks that our brains do. It doesn't even have to be a complete face. All you need is two dots and a line for a nose or mouth, and the human mind recognizes that as a face.

Of course, these are Catholics, and Catholics aren't going to listen to you when you tell them that graven images are abominations anyway. I guess the Catholic Bible skims over that commandment. "And God said, 'hrmm-hrmmm-hrmmm-hrmm...'."

The best thing I got out of this episode was a brand new term for Christian debaters who will not give an inch, even when you defeat everything they say. That term, courtesy of James Randi, is unsinkable ducks!

Oh, and I would like to propose that from now on, the pluralization of Jesus should be Jesii.

We're pattern-seekers.  All humans do it to some extent.  It's one of those goofy quirks that our brains do.  It doesn't even have to be a complete face.  All you need is two dots and a line for a nose or mouth, and the human mind recognizes that as a face.

My brother and I would do this all the time. We had names for over a dozen faces on our bedroom ceiling. Mr. Clean was the most obvious with his ear ring and he looked just like he did on the bottle.

Oh, and I would like to propose that from now on, the pluralization of Jesus should be Jesii.

The correct Latin form, if memory serves, would be Jesi. ;)

The correct Latin form, if memory serves, would be Jesi. ;)

You mean to tell me that I practically busted a nut laughing when I read Neil's 'Jesii', when there was already a correct form of the same word? :twitch:

:lmao:

Well, unless I've forgotten so much of my Latin skills that I now get it utterly wrong from the very start, a Latin noun ending on -us (=male gender) always has a plural form of -i... ;)

I've said this before, but as an cartoonist, I'm particularly familiar with this phenomenon, as I see images in stuff like wood grain and carpetting all the time!  I honestly don't know why people think that this is a big deal.  It really isn't.  I bet I could find a hundred Jesuses (Jesii?!) in any given bathroom door if you gave me a few hours.

I used to do cartoons too when I was younger, and agree you can see faces, eyes, animals, monsters in tile, marble, ... We have a tile floor in the bathroom, and I know a whole bunch of faces and "creature" images in it.

We're pattern-seekers.  All humans do it to some extent.  It's one of those goofy quirks that our brains do.  It doesn't even have to be a complete face.  All you need is two dots and a line for a nose or mouth, and the human mind recognizes that as a face.

Exactly. Actually everyone do patterns. The Eye-to-brain function is only patterns. We recognize our family and friends faces by pattern. This is how they made the machines for retina scans, thumbprint scans etc. Based on how human eye/brain does it. By points, draw lines, pattern.

The best thing I got out of this episode was a brand new term for Christian debaters who will not give an inch, even when you defeat everything they say.  That term, courtesy of James Randi, is unsinkable ducks!

:lmao:

A couple things...

I seem to recall that the shroud had the nailprints in the wrist and NOT the palm. I have that thought in my mind because when I was a xian I knew the nails had to be in the wrist, and the shroud had more credibility because that's where the marks were- in the wrist and not palm. But I could be mistaken. I know for sure the shroud is fake. Besides all the new evidence, back about 900 years ago (or whenever it was) they have a confession from the guy who made it. It was a known fake way back then...

Actually, the location of the nails was a problem for me (many years ago) because I knew scientifically that they had to be in the wrist, but Jesus himself said to Thomas they were in his palms. I was forced to ignore that little issue while I was a true believer...

Another point is that the "cross" idea is a later addition, and the word "stearos" (if I recall) is always used in the gospels, and it almost always means stake and not cross. I thought it was pretty well established that Jesus would have to have been nailed to a stake and not a cross. Not that it is accepted by the church, mind you-- although I think the Jehovah Witnesses do.