Goodbye Jesus

Finnish Patient Gets New Jaw From Own Stem Cells

Grandpa Harley

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/02/02/2152899.htm

Cool

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2008 5:16pm AEDT

Scientists in Finland said they had replaced a 65-year-old patient's upper jaw with a bone transplant cultivated from stem cells isolated from his own fatty tissue and grown inside his abdomen.

Researchers said the breakthrough opened up new ways to treat severe tissue damage and made the prospect of custom-made living spares parts for humans a step closer to reality.

"There have been a couple of similar-sounding procedures before, but these didn't use the patient's own stem cells that were first cultured and expanded in laboratory and differentiated into bone tissue," said Riitta Suuronen of the Regea Institute of Regenerative Medicine, part of the University of Tampere.

She told a news conference the patient was recovering more quickly than he would have if he had received a bone graft from his leg.

"From the outside nobody would be able to tell he has been through such a procedure," she said.

She said the team used no materials from animals - preventing the risk of transmitting viruses than can be hidden in an animal's DNA, and followed European Union guidelines.

Stem cells are the body's master cells and they can be found throughout the blood and tissues. Researchers have recently found that fat contains stem cells which can be directed to form a variety of different tissues.

THAT is freaking awesome...stem cells in fat, huh? Something to be said for obesity then? :P

For those who have the insight, you likely know about the furor over stem-cell research. If adult stem cells work so well, what is the allure of fetal stem cells? Are those stem cells more viable because of their "younger" age? Maybe it's my inner Catholic still scratching at me that's causing me to question the ethics AGAIN!

I don't know.

I've not looked at the issue... TBH I've not seen a whole lot of work using foetal stem cells in about 5 years... and I'm on most of the Nature organ and nervous system mailing lists...

From (dated) memory, I seem to recall that adult cells don't work in nervous systems...

THAT is freaking awesome...stem cells in fat, huh? Something to be said for obesity then? :P

Yeah that's pretty cool! So, if you can now get stem cells from fat, then the research ought to advance now pretty fast, since you are not using embryos.

I am understanding this right? How long has it been known that SCs were in fat?

Good stuff.

No, excellent stuff. We are fast approaching an era of homegrown, 100% compatible transplant organs and a cure for numerous diseases.

Good stuff.

No, excellent stuff. We are fast approaching an era of homegrown, 100% compatible transplant organs and a cure for numerous diseases.

I'd go so far as to guess we are fast approaching an era where life is extended to a shocking degree.

• 2 months later...
Good stuff.

>>> We will soon have no more use for this imaginary being Jesus... boy are Christians going to be pissed off that they have done nothing to help progress this world of science... Like I grow myself new eyes, and step on these glasses. no no , freeze these fuckers in a river during a Canadian winter. heheheheheheheeheh.

But didn't the Christians predict a world of plenty, where there is everything you could ever want especially health? too bad, their church didn't bring this heavenly Kingdom of God. But good ol logic and brains, and sensibility through science....