Goodbye Jesus

Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia

cm_christ

that is the technical name for the phobia of the number 666, which is referenced in the bible as having some very nasty connatations. I have heard of people making major changes in work, living places, even towns changing area codes because of to avoid the association and fear brought on by these simple little numbers. surely of course because of all the end of days stuff in revalation. so as a former christian or even now do you or have you ever feared the number 666? ever had any errie coincedinces where it has shown up? or heard storys about things being linked to it??

I think it's cool. I know a couple of places in Shanghai where the address number , 666, is displayed prominently. One's a starbucks and the other's a local hair salon.

I can say that, as a Christian, I would NEVER have taken anything that had 666 on it in any way, shape or form. If I'd have gone to the store and my bill was $6.66, I'd have bought a pack of gum or something. I was very worried about the government or another secret agency of some sort "sneaking" 666 into my identity somehow. Very fearful of inadvertently taking the mark of the beast and then, in turn, casting my soul into hell because I hadn't been watching and paying attention like I should have been. So, yes... guilty.

I see my wife and all of our friends having the same attitude today. Very fearful. Convinced there is a conspiracy to get them to take the mark of the beast unknowingly. Bank cards, credit cards, i.d. cards... even driver's license. Terrified of some one world government and religion that forces people to be identified with 666. For the past two years (since I quit believing any of that crap) I've really seen the FEAR that the Christians have about the number and, in turn, the fear I had of it. But it's funny to me now. It's as superstitious as throwing salt over one's shoulder or whistling at night to keep the monsters away. Very childish. In accordance to their beliefs, "the rapture" would occur PRIOR to the mark of the beast being given to mankind... so that means they'd already be with God and watching with glee and praise as the bowls of wrath are being poured out on the Earth. So, what's the rub there? If that's the case, well, bring on the 666, ya know? But the fear keeps everything going. Singing and preaching about the end times and Jesus coming back to get them and yet they're terrified about it at the same time.

Yep. I was that way, too. I'm so glad I don't even give shit like that a second thought anymore!!!

But the fear keeps everything going. Singing and preaching about the end times and Jesus coming back to get them and yet they're terrified about it at the same time.

I always wonder about that too, Kenny. Why the hell are they so afraid of the "prophecies" coming true when it's really good news for them?

Fact is, just like the rest of us they love their little lives on earth and are afraid of having them messed up. People afraid of losing their houses and cars. Virgins afraid of never getting married and having sex (that's only partly in jest...in youth group I overheard girls talking about this)...

Anyway, in regards to '666' I always hated end times bullshit so I thought any fear of the number was fucking stupid anyway. At this point I'd like to start feeding the fear. I think I will eventually get a custom license plate that says "FSM 666"...

I'd like to point out that it is very well established that the original number of the beast was 616, not 666. 666 came later, possibly because it was more memorable, possibly because it made good counterpoint to 888 which was the number the ancient greeks used to represent christ. Anyways, the point is that christians worldwide have been upset for centuries about the wrong number.

I knew a man years ago that was so paranoid about 666 appearing at random, when he bought a calling card or something with a scratch off area to reveal the number, he would give it to someone else to scratch in case the PIN number had 666 in it. If it did, he would take it back to the store and try to exchange it or give it to someone else. christians are fucking nuts everywhere.

I'd like to point out that it is very well established that the original number of the beast was 616, not 666. 666 came later, possibly because it was more memorable, possibly because it made good counterpoint to 888 which was the number the ancient greeks used to represent christ. Anyways, the point is that christians worldwide have been upset for centuries about the wrong number.

Random bs, nonsense commentary here...

I have a messed-up mind, sincerely. Does anybody remember the song "Monkey Gone To Heaven" by The Pixies?

If so, here are the lyrics

If Man is 5, then the Devil is 6. If the Devil is 6, then God is 7.

Can anyone imagine Frank Black screaming that. I surely can.

So, my messed-up mind goes into overdrive, I play around with these ideas...

If Man really is 5 and the Devil really is 6, why isn't the number of the beast 56? Makes sense doesn't it?

Here's the demented kicker: 616 = 56 * 11 = 56 * (5 + 6)

To this day, I am still floored by this bit of mathematical trickery.

Furthermore, I have a slight obsession with 666...it's a multiple of 37 (favorite number) and a repidigit. Plus it has some interesting connections to other branches of mathematics...

The Number 666

Plus, my current abode has only one-third the evil of Madame M's former abode.

Fired a guy who wouldn't run the 666 Cat rubber tired loader we had on jobsite.

Flew this high dollar son of a bitch all the way from States to *there*, and he was great.. Until he got assigned the loader for day.

Simply would not get any where near that Cat 600 series loader.

Fired him, he had to wait three weeks w.o pay to get ride out to go home... He could have walked, but suspect the sand and sun would have killed him, or the natives and camels would have spit on him..

Fuggin' krazy..

kL

Fellow I was doing some work for, a music store owner, paid me with check #666. He apologized an offered to write another. I was still claiming xtianity, although grudgingly, but I told him I really didn't care. The money didn't have a curse on it, and I amazingly survived just fine. Must'a been a muracul or sumpin. :lmao:

that is the technical name for the phobia of the number 666, which is referenced in the bible as having some very nasty connatations. I have heard of people making major changes in work, living places, even towns changing area codes because of to avoid the association and fear brought on by these simple little numbers. surely of course because of all the end of days stuff in revalation. so as a former christian or even now do you or have you ever feared the number 666? ever had any errie coincedinces where it has shown up? or heard storys about things being linked to it??

No, never suffered from such a phobia, but I was interested in where this came from. I saw recently, perhaps on this forum, that the symbol was supposed to be more like 616.

Spatz

There's a highway in western New Mexico, near Gallup (which is referenced in a Sci-Fi show as the actual "Hell on Earth") which was Highway 666. The state actually renamed it, because the sign was constantly getting stolen. I think it's something like 254 now. They changed it right before we drove through there on a trip a while back. I was really looking forward to it, too. :HaHa:

There's a highway in western New Mexico, near Gallup (which is referenced in a Sci-Fi show as the actual "Hell on Earth") which was Highway 666. The state actually renamed it, because the sign was constantly getting stolen. I think it's something like 254 now. They changed it right before we drove through there on a trip a while back. I was really looking forward to it, too. :HaHa:

I've driven it many times from Shiprock NM to Cortez CO many years ago. Didn't realize they had renumbered it though.

There are some that think the mark of the beast will be an implanted chip like those you can get to identify your pets. Similar technology is used in the chips to time the road races I have run.

Isn't that a seventeen dollar word doing half a dime's worth of work?

:shakes head:

kFL

A lot of people about my age where I live all have 666 in their social security. I'm not sure how the numbering goes, is it chronological or geographic? Anyway a lot of churchies figured it meant we were the "hellbound" generation, not that that's new. So kin of funny, its in my DL, Social, Bank Account etc, so that was always kind of strange when I was xian.

Random bs, nonsense commentary here...

I have a messed-up mind, sincerely. Does anybody remember the song "Monkey Gone To Heaven" by The Pixies?

If so, here are the lyrics

If Man is 5, then the Devil is 6. If the Devil is 6, then God is 7.

Can anyone imagine Frank Black screaming that. I surely can.

So, my messed-up mind goes into overdrive, I play around with these ideas...

If Man really is 5 and the Devil really is 6, why isn't the number of the beast 56? Makes sense doesn't it?

Here's the demented kicker: 616 = 56 * 11 = 56 * (5 + 6)

To this day, I am still floored by this bit of mathematical trickery.

I'm not familiar with the song....

Wonder where they get Man is 5? *shrug* From my biblical numerics, I learned 5 is associated with grace; perhaps that is where they get Man is 5?

I don't get your demented kicker. :-) How does 616 = 56? (Is it 6-1=5?) And then, what is the significance of 11? (Carol scratches her head and furrows her brow while cross accessing her left and right brains. :D)

Furthermore, I have a slight obsession with 666...it's a multiple of 37 (favorite number) and a repidigit. Plus it has some interesting connections to other branches of mathematics...

The Number 666

That's cool....though I don't understand most of it (Ha!) ...but don't try to explain it. hehe

{A different note/side tangent: Mathgeek, are you familiar with '9 overs' or 'crossing out 9's'? (I think those that's the terminology.) }

Wonder where they get Man is 5? *shrug* From my biblical numerics, I learned 5 is associated with grace; perhaps that is where they get Man is 5?

I don't get your demented kicker. :-) How does 616 = 56? (Is it 6-1=5?) And then, what is the significance of 11? (Carol scratches her head and furrows her brow while cross accessing her left and right brains. :D)

*clip*

{A different note/side tangent: Mathgeek, are you familiar with '9 overs' or 'crossing out 9's'? (I think those that's the terminology.) }

Yes, I am familiar with casting of 9's. Easy procedure to see if a number is divisible by 9.

As for 616 = 56, the problem is 56 times 11 which equals 616. Strangely, 11 = 5 + 6. Hence, why I thought it was interesting.

I don't know, my brain works on a wavelength that even I can't understand some days.

Guest Katana0
Topeka Is Satan's Seat

Seriously, watch this and guffaw greatly.

I watched most of it... but when he got to the part about Topeka, Kansas being the throne of Satan himself... I think they're giving Topeka too much credit lol...

Seriously though, I couldnt watch anymore... it was too funny...

There's a highway in western New Mexico, near Gallup (which is referenced in a Sci-Fi show as the actual "Hell on Earth") which was Highway 666.

There's one in PA too. I go backpacking on a trail that starts on it.

Isn't that a seventeen dollar word doing half a dime's worth of work?

:shakes head:

kFL

It's definitely not anything I would consider active vocabulary.

Thanks, man. Now I have a useful, colorful idiom to use in my English class. As I always say, there's chinese english and then there's common expression.

I've heard of people whose social security benefit amount is $666.00 and they make SSA reduce the amount by a dollar so their checks won't be for 666. :phew:

*clip*

Yes, I am familiar with casting of 9's. Easy procedure to see if a number is divisible by 9.

As for 616 = 56, the problem is 56 times 11 which equals 616. Strangely, 11 = 5 + 6. Hence, why I thought it was interesting.

I don't know, my brain works on a wavelength that even I can't understand some days.

duh on me... hehe .... The "*" threw me. hehe

I ride wavelengths like that. :D

I didn't learn about casting 9's until I was in my 30's. I thought it was really cool. I'm rather odd like that...sat around doing addition/multiplication problems just to cast 9's.

Topeka Is Satan's Seat

Seriously, watch this and guffaw greatly.

ROFL!!!

He left out one piece of evidence. Topeka scrambled = To Peak .... like in orgasm!!!!! Combine that with the KS state flower, the sunflower, which has lots of SEEDS. Orgasms and seeds....more evidence that ToPeak is indeed the throne of Satan and is multiplying. aaarghhh.....

In NC, the town of Climax has hats that bear the slogan: "Climax. Where people come together." Climax, NC, is located not too far from Pleasant Garden, NC. But then our state flower is the Dogwood, which bears the blood of Christ....so I guess NC is protected. *snort*