Goodbye Jesus

Teflon Deity

webmdave

• Admin

By Doc Mike

ByTheBook38.PNGIn the wake of the tornadoes that recently ravaged the Southern US, I am once again amazed by the ability of Christians to justify and excuse their god for the evil in the world and praise him for the things that turn out positive. What's worse, they sometimes claim that their "omnipotent" god is not even responsible for the bad things!

"Thirteen were killed in Arkansas, seven in Kentucky, and five were killed in Alabama where some 500 homes were also destroyed. Tennessee was the hardest hit, with 34 killed and 230 citizens still unaccounted for in the poor, farming areas of Macon County near the Kentucky border."

Today's comic was inspired by a report on NPR, in the aftermath of the tornadoes. A woman being interviewed had survived (not in very good shape, mind you) her mobile home being destroyed around her. When the interviewer asked why she thinks she survived, she said, "God must have a plan for me." The very next question was about her husband who was killed in the storm. She replied, "Jesus took him home."

And that reminded me of a conversation I had with a christian friend right after hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans a few years ago. I asked, "How can your god kill and injure so many innocent people?" Her reply was, "You can't blame God for the weather."

Unbelievable!

Genesis 7:4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.

Deuteronomy 11:17 And [then] the LORD'S wrath be kindled against you, and he shut up the heaven, that there be no rain, and that the land yield not her fruit; and [lest] ye perish quickly from off the good land which the LORD giveth you.

Deuteronomy 28:24 The LORD shall make the rain of thy land powder and dust: from heaven shall it come down upon thee, until thou be destroyed.

1 Samuel 12:18 So Samuel called unto the LORD; and the LORD sent thunder and rain that day: and all the people greatly feared the LORD and Samuel.

Nahum 1:3 The LORD [is] slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit [the wicked]: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds [are] the dust of his feet.

Technorati Tags: humor Atheist Bible Christianity Comics disaster

http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2008/02/teflon-deity.html

"You can't blame God for the weather."

Wait, wait, wait! Hold on! I thought you Xians said the tsunamis and floods and hurricanes and earthquakes and such were all judgements from God...??????????

Wait, wait, wait! Hold on! I thought you Xians said the tsunamis and floods and hurricanes and earthquakes and such were all judgements from God...??????????

Maybe it just depends on who you ask. LOL But then, supposedly all Xians have the holy spirit within them, leading them, guiding them, teaching them all things. (Even when I was in the pulpit for so many years I could never get a straight answer as to why God would direct me thus-and-so, yet some other minister, supposedly equally anointed, would have a drastically difference and opposing 'leading' ... and nobody could answer why except "Maybe he's not paying attention like you are.") So clearly, God the Holy Spirit is quite befuddled and scatterbrained ... or perhaps psychotic or schizophrenic or just a regular garden variety sociopath who can justify anything to anybody for any reason.

And, having been hiding under a table with my dog during Katrina, and listening to the stupidity afterward, I can assure you there was all kinds of excusing and justifying and rationalizing by people all the while praising God for being there in the midst of it all. Uhhh... no ... there was the National Guard on the ground, and military choppers flying a tight grid overhead for 10-12 days, and stranded neighbors helping each other out. Nope, no God there. imagine that!

(I have a transcript of my handwritten journal of living through Katrina if anyone wants a link to it.)

• Super Moderator

That kind of faith helps people through the pain of unspeakable tragedy, so it has value to some who can believe it. That same mindset in everyday life is quite comical.

A good example was my father, who always wanted to prove god to me. One day he told me he was part of a real miracle. Of course, I was eager as always to hear about it (not). The miracle was that he had a tire blowout and he didn't lose control, but brought the vehicle safely to a stop at the side of the freeway. GLORY! PTL!

Of course I had to ask why god didn't just prevent the blowout in the first place. Maybe he could have let the tire go flat while parked in a safe place. The response of course was that god doesn't make our lives perfect. We are sinners, after all, but he will intervene once in a while, and those interventions are called "miracles."

It's a win/win for them and their god. Can't argue with faith in Teflon!

- Chris

Of course....we all know that hurricanes, tornados, floods and earthquakes are the wrath of god for the sins of homosexuality, perversions, abortionists, and yes, us athiests!

GranpaHarley calls it "the footprint syndrome", I'm guessing from that retarded poem/story about "that's when I carried you."