Goodbye Jesus

Fuck!

GraphicsGuy

I have an online friend that used to write quite often. She's been having some difficulty in her life and can't write as much lately.

We used to discuss life, living, reality, experiences, etc. She never called herself a Xian, just a woman who love Jesus.

She never preached at me once. She contacted me because I was saying something different on YouTube. What I said gave her comfort even if it challenged her beliefs.

Now...fuck...

Now she's gone on some spiritual head trip at the moment. Her last letters and comments just sound completely unglued from reality. Life is hard for her to handle right now, but the religious bullshit is rushing to the surface damn quick and is slowly driving her over the edge.

Her last two letters to me both involved her asking God what his will for MY life is. Why did he bring me into her life? What are his plans for ME? *barf* (she contacted me first months ago).

I fucking HATE what her "faith" and religion are doing to her right now. She was going along okay, life kicked her and now the religion gets dredged up as a coping mechanism. Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, FUCK!!!!!

I had to write her a letter this time because I couldn't ignore it any longer. I tried to be as nice as I could, but I was blunt as well. I told her I didn't want to hear the bullshit, but I would always talk about reality. I told her she sounds completely unglued from reality right now. I told her that she's stronger and worth more than she thinks.

Still, I doubt the message will get through religious desperation and veil of emotions. If there was a God I'd fucking throttle him for doing this to her...

It sounds like what has happened to your on-line friend is that she has had some challenges in her life and that she has clung to xian memes to get her through them. No issue there, because that is what xianity teaches its adherents, in whatever form. ("Trust in the Lord, Pray to the Lord, and He will give thee answers, blah blah...)

There isn't any god, so there is no one above your friend that you can hold accountable.

You can continue to try and convince your friend that she is being irrational, and even silly, but understand that you might forge an enemy in so doing.

Or you can state the matter simply, and if you are rejected, move on...

It's a crock of crap, I know, but we can't turn mud into diamonds....

I know what you mean......

If you're like me what you really hate is watching someone completely capable of helping themselves struggle miserably because they expect help or strength from some other source.

That and having to listen to people try and divine what reasons God has for putting you and other things in their little orbits (obviously its about them) is just fackin annoying!

When someone you love and respect is in all actuality acting like a child, should we be honest and tell them so? Its guaranteed to go over poorly, spirituality has its little pedestal in most peoples minds. But wouldn't that be the right thing to do anyway? Its like talking to a heroin addict sometimes.

As for myself I have dealt with friends like this a lot, thus far I haven't had the gall to flat out tell them they are being delusional. Usually I settle for trying to be nice while subtly hinting that what they are saying has no basis in the reality they spend 100% of their time in.

From what you said of the letter, I'd say you did the right thing.

Not much more that can be done then I guess. Proceed with ranting :vent:

Guest Acorn
I have an online friend that used to write quite often. She's been having some difficulty in her life and can't write as much lately.

We used to discuss life, living, reality, experiences, etc. She never called herself a Xian, just a woman who love Jesus.

She never preached at me once. She contacted me because I was saying something different on YouTube. What I said gave her comfort even if it challenged her beliefs.

Now...fuck...

Now she's gone on some spiritual head trip at the moment. Her last letters and comments just sound completely unglued from reality. Life is hard for her to handle right now, but the religious bullshit is rushing to the surface damn quick and is slowly driving her over the edge.

Her last two letters to me both involved her asking God what his will for MY life is. Why did he bring me into her life? What are his plans for ME? *barf* (she contacted me first months ago).

I fucking HATE what her "faith" and religion are doing to her right now. She was going along okay, life kicked her and now the religion gets dredged up as a coping mechanism. Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, FUCK!!!!!

I had to write her a letter this time because I couldn't ignore it any longer. I tried to be as nice as I could, but I was blunt as well. I told her I didn't want to hear the bullshit, but I would always talk about reality. I told her she sounds completely unglued from reality right now. I told her that she's stronger and worth more than she thinks.

Still, I doubt the message will get through religious desperation and veil of emotions. If there was a God I'd fucking throttle him for doing this to her...

I empathize with you on that. Sometimes that happens. It happened to me with my ex-wife. She went on a Jesus rampage when we separated and got the whole church, and family to "save" me. Even though I was just talking to the pastor about being a pastor months prior. Its weird. Your right though. Its like reality goes north and emotional blabble comes rushing in. Coping summed this situation up I think. Sucks. Hope she comes around man.

Well, I kinda don't know what to say. (((hugs))) I hope that will help when words can't.

I'm new to all this. I'm just getting all my responses to my newfound Atheism today. Even when I was at my most fervent belief I never presumed to tell someone else what God wanted for them. it's frustrating when you know that they know how you feel, and yet they still act like you are wrong, and somehow will come back to God.

I do know that it's incredibly difficult to deal with someone who is saying things contrary to what you believe in your core, and yet still respond with compassion, kindness, and understanding. Even if they do appear to be totally insane. ;-)

I don't get why she's trying to figure out YOUR life and God's purpose for YOUR life when it's HER life that is turned upside down. It's a lot easier--not to mention practical--to solve one's problems if one looks at them rather than at the rest of the world.

Religionis like a virus in that it can lie dormant for months or years, surfacing only at times of deep stress. That's why so many people "find God" when they hit rock bottom.

Fundy religions prey upon those who are the most desperate and looking for a magical answer to solve life's problems because they don't have the self-esteem to solve them themselves. It is so sad what they do to people.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I received a fairly positive letter from her in response to mine. She thanked me for being honest and straight-forward with her and admitted she is feeling really confused and unglued. She is in a difficult situation so it's quite understandable. I wish there were more I could do for her.

Religionis like a virus in that it can lie dormant for months or years, surfacing only at times of deep stress. That's why so many people "find God" when they hit rock bottom.

Hmmm...very good call. Explains why so many leave childhood religion and come back to it when life doesn't go as planned.