Goodbye Jesus

Why I Don't Believe The Bible

Brother Jeff

From http://christianityisbullshit.com/2008/03/...ieve-the-bible/

I spent 15 years of my life firmly believing that the Bible was the Word of God, and now I don’t. I’d like to explain why. The short answer is that the Bible is too full of contradictions, absurdities, atrocities, and non-historical “history” for me to take it seriously as the “word” of a god. The longer answer is what follows.

The Bible starts off badly with the unfounded assertion that God created the heavens and the earth, which we now know is wrong. The universe is the result of a vacuum fluctuation, not the act of a god. Just to get past Genesis 1:1 requires an explanation of biblical cosmology. The universe of the bible is small, three-tiered, and features a Sky Kingdom, a solid dome firmament in which the stars are fixed, and a flat earth. This is the biblical universe:

ancientcosmos2.jpg

Quite different from our known universe of approximately 125 billion galaxies, isn’t it? In Genesis, the universe and the earth are created closely together in time. In reality, the universe is far older than the earth is. Our universe is approximately 14 billion years old. The earth is 4.6 billion years old. That’s a difference of 10 billion years! Ephesians 1:4 says, “According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world”. That would mean that “he hath chosen us in him” 10 billion years before he created this planet! Not likely.

Genesis contains two contradictory and absurd creation myths. It then continues with a ridiculous story involving two obviously mythical people (Adam & Eve) and a talking snake and some magical fruit from a magical tree. And it just goes downhill from there. The story of Cain and Abel never happened. The Flood never happened. The Tower of Babel story never happened. In fact, the first eleven chapters of Genesis are pure mythology. The Exodus also never happened. The Old Testament as a whole is a very poor history book.

Then there is the issue of authorship. Moses did not write the five books traditionally attributed to him. Joshua didn’t write the book attributed to him. In fact, we don’t know who wrote most of the books of the Old Testament!

The New Testament doesn’t fare much better. For instance, the authors of the gospels are unknown. The traditional attributions of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are second century guesses. There isn’t any evidence for the existence of the biblical Jesus. Not a single contemporary historian mentions him, and all we have extra-biblically are hearsay accounts.

It should be becoming clear why I don’t believe in the Bible anymore as the “Word of God”. It just simply doesn’t qualify. It is nothing more than a collection of error-ridden religious mythology that clearly reflects the time in which it was written. Glory!

ancientcosmos2.jpg

I liked the version where you had God dancing on top of the firmament better.

LOL... I remember that version! I still have it somewhere around here on some CD or DVD. Glory!