Goodbye Jesus

You Need Us

whatifidontwantausername?

My friends and I were talking the other night when my fiance(sp) brought up the point that for Fundementalists to exist, there must be non-fundementalists. No this is not going to be a chat about balance in the universe.

Could Christianity, Islam, or any other religion that encourages fundementalism succeed without those who do not believe in this faith? The short answer is no, it cannot. Without an us vs them mentality where the us is a superior force whose patron is benevolent in that it does not kill, then torture all of the Them for eternity there would be no Christianity.

Without a God and an eternal reward/punishment system in place for every soul that one saves there would not be Christianity. Without thinking that one is a proverbial superhero, rescuing hundreds from eternal punishment and pain, there would be no need for Fundementalism.

Christians the bottem line is that you need unbeleivers, if you did not then you would start praying(Spelling intended) on other factions of your own religion. For instance if a pentacostol ran into a mormon(Yes, I consider Mormons to be Christian) they would begin to try to convert one another. In the end there would only be one religion, and you would be waiting endlessly for the rapture, or perhaps not.

As long as I am ranting I would like to make a special aside to Christians who think they are being persecuted from literature such as this. Get over it. Around 75% of Americans are Christian. The majority of people in advanced western countries would call themselves Christian. Christianity is the second largest religion in the world, you are not being persecuted. I have read the testimonies of people on this site, and have a few stories of my own to tell. The majority of Christians have NO IDEA what being persecuted on the basis of religion is.

--Jake

?? Without Christians, there will not be ex-christians?

Without people enslaved into a mind-destructive cult, we could not consider ourselves reasonable and rational?

No, without nonchristians Christianity would not exist. They need something to "fight" against.

That's pretty true. Keeps their lips exercised, their brains fallow, and their wallets empty so long as we're around.

For the US brand of the death cult, this is certainly true. :Hmm:

Fairness compels me, however, to point out that I have a hard time to include all those German christians I know in the group of enemy-needing cultists. Of course, from the US fundies' point of view they aren't True Christians™, so... :Wendywhatever: