Goodbye Jesus

Wayne Dyer's New Book

PandaPirate

Old message, new package. Don't get me wrong...I love Dr. Dyer. He has a gentle approach and spirit and is non-offensive. The thing that kills me is that all this stuff that is out about positive thought is so OLD! It's been around forever! It's only recently that science has confirmed that the brain can actually "re-wire" itself. This book caught my attention at BN yesterday:

13707372.JPG

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Brain...e/9780670038305

Thoughts?

Panda, that looks like a book that I would like to read. I am interested in the brain and psychology and the possiblity of a transformation in consciousness. In fact, just this week I ordered a set of DVD's from The Teaching Company http://www.teach12.com/teach12.asp on "Consciousness and its Implications" and am looking forward to viewing the lectures.

As far as Wayne Dyer goes, I read one of his books but it has to have been 15 years ago. I have seen him on PBS, but find him hard to watch. It seems to me he borrows very old ideas from Hinduism, The Buddha and J. Krishnamurti but doesn't credit them. To me, they were said before and said better. I find it difficult to follow his speaking style, because I am continually wishing he would get to the point.

Dyer is a manifestation of the American New Thought... comes from Thoreau, Emerson, and the Transcendentalists... thence by divers routes to Mary Baker Eddy... and through to Wallace Wattles, Napoleon Hill and that crowd... then Conant, Dyer, Chopra moves us into the 1980s...

Dyer is a manifestation of the American New Thought... comes from Thoreau, Emerson, and the Transcendentalists... thence by divers routes to Mary Baker Eddy... and through to Wallace Wattles, Napoleon Hill and that crowd... then Conant, Dyer, Chopra moves us into the 1980s...

INteresting... I would have skipped over Eddy and the Church of Christ, Scientist, entirely, since her movement strongly disavows connection to the New Thought heritage via P.P. Quimby and Emma Curtis Hopkins, where all the New Thought churches claimed their roots (Ernest Holmes and the Church of Religious Science; the Fillmores and their Unity School of Christianity; and those ladies that started Divine Science). Nowadays American New Thought goes far beyond just the main core of the early New Thought Movement, and their gurus are now legion, and I've not kept up for at least 10 years or more. (My Mother was into the United Church of Religious Science, and swore by Ernest Holmes' text, "The Science of Mind" for much of my early childhood years.)

As for Dyer .... ummmm.... once you've read one or two of his books, or seen him a couple times on PBS, he gets old quickly. same old stuff, rehash of other earlier gurus.

Psychology isn't one of my long suits so, by all means correct me if I've gotten this completely wrong.

Doesn't this tie into Neurolinguistic programming (NLP), or, for lack of a better term, brain hacking?

It also seems intuitive to me that if you change your POV you would change your actions (or at least natural reactions) in light of the way you are interpreting your incoming information, which could very well change your life, mostly through self-fulfilling prophecy. I tend to doubt that it is the "be positive and positive things will happen" more than it is "don't be negative" as that is what more often tends to get people to injure themselves. Due to the difficulty of focusing on a negative (Don't think of a white bear), it is much easier to think of a positive (think of a pink elephant if you don't want to think of a white bear). I guess replace what is holding you back with something that is at least benign, and may even give you a bit of an edge (confidence and all that).

Am I anywhere near the mark here?

IF a prospective New Thoughter wanted to avoid spending a few hundred dollars on Joe Vitale stuff, then they just need to read your post ;)

And then you have the whole Fritjof Capra camp with the Tao of Physics, which has been rehashed recently as What the Bleep do we Know?