Goodbye Jesus

If It Were Possible, Would You Really Even Want A God Or Gods To Exist?

Guest Venat

Guest Venat

The word god has left a bad taste in my mouth because of christianity and it rings of oppression.

Anyways the problem I see with a god or gods existing is we would never have a moment of privacy.

We would be under constant supervision, imagine having surveillance cameras in every room of your house all the time.

It would be one big peep show.

I mean I kinda would feel like a monkey jumping through a maze of hoops in some sick lab experiment while god or gods watch like some scientists with lab coats.

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

It would make no difference to me. The only kind of god I could believe in is the nonpersonal, indifferent god of some deists and pantheists. And I wouldn't care about a god that didn't care about me. However, I would be in awe of the god to the extent that I am now in awe of nature.

The word god has left a bad taste in my mouth because of christianity and it rings of oppression.

Anyways the problem I see with a god or gods existing is we would never have a moment of privacy.

We would be under constant supervision, imagine having surveillance cameras in every room of your house all the time.

It would be one big peep show.

I mean I kinda would feel like a monkey jumping through a maze of hoops in some sick lab experiment while god or gods watch like some scientists with lab coats.

That's the impression I once got of how gods were viewed by the ancient Greeks.

For my part, I wouldn't mind so much the presence of the "Creator" as viewed by deism, because the Creator is essentially non-interventional.

Would I want A God to exist? Not necessarily, but then I wouldn't say that I do not want A God to exist either. I want truth. If God exists then I want to know about God. Up to this point I don't think God exists. I believed in all the things about the Christian God for 20 years, but never had a real two way conversation with the chap so I gave up. If a spiritual force reveals it's self to me, then I will investigate it and contemplate what that means for my existence. Of course, I haven't defined any particular kind of God, so perhaps a good question would be: If you want God to exist what kind of God would you like? My answer would be: One who is not a murderous, despotic asshole. I guess Neale Donald Walsch's God would be cool with me. A caring, nurturing, but mostly hands off kind of God who truly wants you to be all that you can and want to be.

Guest DashBlades

Yes, I would. And I think there is actually. But I don't think the "real" God has hardly at all been discovered. Christianity messed up the image of God so much he's not even close to the true one. The God of the Bible is just Moses's adopted father (the pharoh) projected onto God.

But I do think that the real God does exist. For the record I'm not christian. I'm spiritual.

I also think it would depend on what kind of God existed. If it was some kind of non-personal deism type of creator, I wouldn't particularly care if they existed or not. If by God you mean a tyrannical God like the one in the Abrahamic religions, I want a God like that about as much as I want Adolf Hitler to be president, which is hell no.

No, if it were my preference then I choose that no god(s) had a hand in creation. If I could go a step further I would want it evident to all that no god(s) exist and so we would all stop wasting our time on spiritual quests and journeys and spend our lives doing something constructive.

No, if it were my preference then I choose that no god(s) had a hand in creation. If I could go a step further I would want it evident to all that no god(s) exist and so we would all stop wasting our time on spiritual quests and journeys and spend our lives doing something constructive.

:3:

Guest eejay

I think I'm perfectly content with not having one. I certainly wouldn't want to see anything resembling the x-tian god. But, if a true creator type presented itself....guess I'd have to accept it at that point. The whole worship, bow down thing is not for me.

No. I'm quite happy without a god. An impersonal, indifferent god makes no sense to me. A personal, vengeful/"loving" god would make me feel horrible about myself (well, more so). The latter makes less sense anyway.

It really depends on your perception of it.

For me, if you think of god as merely the forces of energy that work within all of us, then God doesn't interfere with your will, yet is completely involved with everything you do.

That God I like.

Any God that demands that we do things a black & white way, is not a God. It's a dictator.

If you want God to exist what kind of God would you like? My answer would be: One who is not a murderous, despotic asshole. I guess Neale Donald Walsch's God would be cool with me. A caring, nurturing, but mostly hands off kind of God who truly wants you to be all that you can and want to be.

This is what I think too :)

I don't care if there is a god or not, but I do wish there were Genies! :shrug:

I wish there were elves and dragons.

I'm indifferent with regards to an indifferent god

The Christian/moslem/jewish god? No way! That guy's an asshole

God probably does exist, but I don't think it can be proven or disproven through any modern or antiquated means.

Yeah, people can say their is proof for side of the binary case, but if anybody rejects it, then how is that evidence really proof?

My view of God: probably an non-interventionist, probably a voyeur, quite possibly a sadist. Either exists everywhere and nowhere at the same time. God is therefore the definition of a point in math.

If It Were Possible, Would You Really Even Want A God Or Gods To Exist?If It Were Possible, Would You Really Even Want A God Or Gods To Exist?

Only if it were me. ;)

Sometimes, I realy do wish the gods existed.

Not just the sick egomaniac god the christians and jews worship, But ALL the gods.

So when Jehova the peeping tom trys to watch you having sex, you can get Odin to beat the crap out of him.

It would be like living in the DC universe.

Of course it would be even better to live in the main marvel universe.

The only way I would want god to exist is if he actually did something for someone.

Would I want A God to exist? Not necessarily, but then I wouldn't say that I do not want A God to exist either. I want truth. If God exists then I want to know about God. Up to this point I don't think God exists. I believed in all the things about the Christian God for 20 years, but never had a real two way conversation with the chap so I gave up. If a spiritual force reveals it's self to me, then I will investigate it and contemplate what that means for my existence. Of course, I haven't defined any particular kind of God, so perhaps a good question would be: If you want God to exist what kind of God would you like? My answer would be: One who is not a murderous, despotic asshole. I guess Neale Donald Walsch's God would be cool with me. A caring, nurturing, but mostly hands off kind of God who truly wants you to be all that you can and want to be.

Amen.

I wish there were elves and dragons.

I'm indifferent with regards to an indifferent god

The Christian/moslem/jewish god? No way! That guy's an asshole

And unicorns! :grin:

I like Gods to be of the sort who throw bricks through the windows of Atheists...

I like Gods to be of the sort who throw bricks through the windows of Atheists...

That reminds me of this joke, which I still find amusing.

An atheist was walking through the woods one day in Alaska admiring all that evolution had created.

"What majestic trees !

What a powerful river !

What beautiful animals!" he said to himself.

As he walked alongside the river he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him. Turning to look, he saw a 13 foot Kodiak bear beginning to charge toward him. He ran as fast as he could down the path. He looked over his shoulder and saw that the bear was rapidly closing on him. Somehow he ran even faster, so scared that tears came to his eyes. He looked again and the bear was even closer. His heart pounding in his chest he tried to run even faster yet. But alas, he tripped and fell to the ground. As he rolled over to pick himself up he saw the bear reaching for him with his left paw and raising his right paw to deliver a killing blow.

"OH MY GOD !" he pleadingly screamed.

Time stopped.

The bear froze.

The forest was silent.

Even the powerful river stopped flowing.

A brilliant light shone upon the man and a thunderous voice came from all around,

"YOU DENY MY EXISTENCE FOR ALL THESE YEARS. YOU TEACH OTHERS THAT I DON'T EXIST. YOU EVEN CREDIT CREATION TO SOME COSMIC ACCIDENT. DO YOU EXPECT ME TO HELP YOU OUT OF THIS PREDICAMENT? AM I TO COUNT YOU AS A BELIEVER? "

Difficult as it was, the atheist looked directly into the light and said, "It would be hypocritical to ask to be a Christian after all these years and under these circumstances but perhaps you could make the bear a Christian? "

"VERY WELL" said the voice.

The light went out.

The river ran.

The sounds of the forest resumed.

The huge bear dropped down on his knees, brought both paws together, bowed and spoke............

"Lord, thank you for this food which I am about to receive."

If you want God to exist what kind of God would you like? My answer would be: One who is not a murderous, despotic asshole. I guess Neale Donald Walsch's God would be cool with me. A caring, nurturing, but mostly hands off kind of God who truly wants you to be all that you can and want to be.

This version of the Divine sounds very appealing. I'd like to believe that there is a God not only because I still hope for an afterlife, but so I could ask this being about the universe and why "He" made it and what it's all about.