Goodbye Jesus

This Doesn't Work

Guest desiree

Guest desiree

This doesn't work. I have sent out more resumes than I can count that say a bachelor's in psychology is required and NO ONE calls me, and, I don't think it's the job market, I DO think, it's the director of a prolife ministry as my last and only job that is the problem. I'm tempted to leave it out and say I never worked, but I'd like to be honest, and not because I'm proud of it anymore. Just because. LIke I said, there is a sense of ethics without religion. Then what's worse, if you do get an interview, they ask, what did you do on your last job, and you are forced to basically admit you were not the empathic, understanding sort of counselor they were looking for but the oppressive, there is only one way kind. I've resorted to applying to some restaurants now as I give up as this doesn't work and I can not defend what I did anymore. I don't mean to start a pro-life/pro-choice debate on this web site, but my views have changed a good bit on that as well. I myself have three children, 18, 11 and 3 and don't regret it, but would HATE to go somewhere for help and be told I HAD to have another one whether I wanted to or not. Like I said, this doesn't work on the rest of the world and there must be a reason. Being deprogrammed is what everyone here talks about, but for me, it is about trying to find a way to fit into society as well and it is very hard. Oh well, best wishes everyone.

Many jobs see a directorship as over-qualified for many jobs. You could try to down-play the importance of the job or leave it out of your resume' altogether or place it under the heading of 'Other Jobs Held' and promote those jobs that relate more closely to the position to which you are applying. The skills you received as a director can be used in any job, even restaurant work.

Sounds to me like a pro-choice group might think you were an *excellent* catch. But yeah, you have to somehow communicate your change of heart, which is difficult to do with a resume. Tough position.

This doesn't work. I have sent out more resumes than I can count that say a bachelor's in psychology is required and NO ONE calls me, and, I don't think it's the job market, I DO think, it's the director of a prolife ministry as my last and only job that is the problem. I'm tempted to leave it out and say I never worked, but I'd like to be honest, and not because I'm proud of it anymore. Just because. LIke I said, there is a sense of ethics without religion. Then what's worse, if you do get an interview, they ask, what did you do on your last job, and you are forced to basically admit you were not the empathic, understanding sort of counselor they were looking for but the oppressive, there is only one way kind. I've resorted to applying to some restaurants now as I give up as this doesn't work and I can not defend what I did anymore. I don't mean to start a pro-life/pro-choice debate on this web site, but my views have changed a good bit on that as well. I myself have three children, 18, 11 and 3 and don't regret it, but would HATE to go somewhere for help and be told I HAD to have another one whether I wanted to or not. Like I said, this doesn't work on the rest of the world and there must be a reason. Being deprogrammed is what everyone here talks about, but for me, it is about trying to find a way to fit into society as well and it is very hard. Oh well, best wishes everyone.

This doesn't work. I have sent out more resumes than I can count that say a bachelor's in psychology is required and NO ONE calls me, and, I don't think it's the job market, I DO think, it's the director of a prolife ministry as my last and only job that is the problem.

It sucks that your first job seems to be preventing future opportunities. Have your views changed since holding that position? Is there opportunity during an interview to explain that change? Most of the separate skills you learne there are easily transferable to other types of work, other industries, etc. -- how to deal with subordinates/employees, how to work with clients, how to counsel people during difficult decisions (not what to counsel them, but how to help them think through to their own answers), etc., etc. It might help if you could present yourself as possessing a unique skill-set or combination of abilities, rather than under the job-title description of your previous job. Good luck with it.

I'm curious Desiree. It seems to me that you psychologists would lie to one another a little less often. Why can't you put the thing in your resume and then give a short summary of your journey since then and your thoughts and feelings on it in hindsight? They might come to see you as dynamic and open as well as qualified.