Goodbye Jesus

Why Did Protestants Celebrate Easter Yesterday?

Robbobrob

Because Easter came so early this year, many news organizations decided to explain how Easter is determined.

Easter's day is picked as the Sunday after the first full moon after the Vernal (Spring) Equinox. Sounds rather pagan, and I can understand the Roman Catholics in their time of absorbing other cultures moving Christ's Ressurrection time to a big pagan festival held around hte time of the Vernal Eqinox.

But, why do Protestant Christians celebrate it using this system? Do fundie Christians?

If I were a Christian today, I would not have celebrated it yesterday (March 23rd), but waited until the days after Passover, which is the literal Biblical time of the Ressurrection.

Do any Christians, especially literalists, waiting to celebrate it on the days following Passover? Or do they all just "do as we have always done" and celebrate it according to a very Pagan sounding calander scheme?

This has really bugged me this year.

Protestants have a tendency to do whatever will make them the most money. They cashed in early this year in order to take advantage of publicity. Purists will rant about making Easter early but no one believes what anyone says anyway.

You'd think that with all the minor sins that get you to Hell, celebrating a day clearly defined in the Bible (as opposed to Christmas, which is not easily pinpointed on a calendar) would be of some spiriual importance.

But, then, here I am using my silly, Devil-induced logic again. However basic it may be.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/godsrel.../a/aa040200.htm

although it wasn't Nicea that decided finally when Easter was, but the Council of Whitby about 200 years later...

The dating for Easter wasn't finalized until almost a thousand years later after the event was supposed to have occured. Various methods were used to calculate when to have Easter, which caused a lot of issues in the church (some areas would have it one week, some another. It got so you could celebrate Easter for almost a month straight if you could travel far enough, fast enough). This was even one of the big contentions between the early Celtic and Catholic churches that let to the Celtic church being abosorbed by roman catholicism.

If I were a Christian today, I would not have celebrated it yesterday (March 23rd), but waited until the days after Passover, which is the literal Biblical time of the Ressurrection.

I searched my bibles for "easter" but came up empty handed (I thought I had something in Acts but the word was really passover). So tell me...when is the literal biblical time of the resurrection? ;):P

mwc

I searched my bibles for "easter" but came up empty handed (I thought I had something in Acts but the word was really passover). So tell me...when is the literal biblical time of the resurrection? ;):P

mwc

It is on the the 15th of Nisan, and no that is not a Japanese car.

Easter's day is picked as the Sunday after the first full moon after the Vernal (Spring) Equinox. Sounds rather pagan, and I can understand the Roman Catholics in their time of absorbing other cultures moving Christ's Ressurrection time to a big pagan festival held around hte time of the Vernal Eqinox.

It is Pagan worship of the Goddess of fertility in her many guises. Ashtar, Astarte, Ashtoreth, Anath, Ishtar...

Oh in some of the stories she gets stuck in hell for part of the year, which is why we have winter.

Would that not be the 1st day of passover? One possible day for a possible crucifixion (not that anyone would have ever been crucified on passover without all hell breaking loose)? But when does this resurrection thingy happen? You know...when people (okay, one guy) magically pops back out of the ground alive before floating off into the clouds. I have a hard time putting hard dates on magical events. :)

mwc

Would that not be the 1st day of passover? One possible day for a possible crucifixion (not that anyone would have ever been crucified on passover without all hell breaking loose)? But when does this resurrection thingy happen? You know...when people (okay, one guy) magically pops back out of the ground alive before floating off into the clouds. I have a hard time putting hard dates on magical events. :)

mwc

You are right I should have said that this is the first day of passover.

I got shit in another forum when someone started a thread saying "Happy Easter, he has risen!" and I asked "Who has risen? The easter bunny? Last time I checked, it was a pagan holiday."

Can't Christians do anything original? Jesus is based off of other religions, and Xmas and Easter are based off of pagan holidays. So much for "thou shalt not steal."

and then lie about stealing it...