Goodbye Jesus

Who Is That Guy?

white_raven23

Boy, talk about not knowing the most appropriate place for THIS discussion. I stuck this in the Lion's Den to increase likelihood of it's being seen (and ideally, read). If someone thinks of a more appropriate place for it, by all means please move it.

Last night, before difting off to sleep, I was suddenly wondering who inspired Jesus.

In art, especially religious art, the Masters would complement their patrons by using them and their family members as the inspiration for paintings of John the Baptist, Mother Mary, the Archangel Gabriel, and etc.

I know the appearance of Jesus in art has morphed some over the years, but some characteristics seem to be constant. Jesus is depicted as having long brown hair (more recent art adds gold highlights), and possessing rather feminine features (look beyond the beard at the bone structure). In fact, you take of the Jesus beard, and BOOM, you have a picture many would ID as Mother Mary.

So that makes me wonder. The idealized picture of Jesus that people identify immediately....was it based on a woman? One of the many incarnations of patron's wives and daughters complemented in a painting of Mary transitioning into being Jesus?

Women from the Medici family are my best bet for "most depicted as Mary", and by extension (stick a beard on Mary) Jesus.

Thoughts?

Any art critics here?

Not an art historian, but as far as I know the art depicting that style Jesus goes back further than the Medicis. It is an interesting thought though, whoever started the archetypal "art Jesus" might have based it on a real person, rather than imagination.

I've been working at an art exhibit dealing with early Christian art, so I know a bit via osmosis :P

https://www.kimbellart.org/Exhibitions/Exhi...ils.aspx?eid=47

This has a few pics and info about some general information about the art's history.

The first depictions of Christ on catacomb walls, as I recall, show him with no beard, just a young man. But that period evidently didn't last long and by the Byzantine Empire we have many icons of him with beard. Often he looks powerful with a stern expression. At that point, though, his hair didn't seem to be that long. I'm not sure, but the long hair seems to have come in at the time of the Renaissance. Certainly Christ appears very feminine in much medieval European art.

Also, the earliest depictions of Christ never show him crucified. Probably because the people of that time were too familiar with what a real crucifixion was.

This is my favorite art work of Jesus.

JesusRightav55.jpg

madonnaheretic.jpg

Historians and scholars have long speculated that the image of christ might be based upon the likeness of Emperor Constantine or another earlier prominent leader. Most imgage portray a European looking man rather than a Jew.

This is too cute to pass up. Jesus has been spotted in a baby scan:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

This should make someone some bucks on e-bay.

Historians and scholars have long speculated that the image of christ might be based upon the likeness of Emperor Constantine or another earlier prominent leader. Most imgage portray a European looking man rather than a Jew.

This is too cute to pass up. Jesus has been spotted in a baby scan:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

This should make someone some bucks on e-bay.

I looked at the article. I also looked at some of the other links and ads on that page. I conclude that it's the trend these days to see religious symbols anywhere in anything these days. Looks like a 21st century replay of Medieval superstitions if you ask me. If it weren't for the sinister implications I might see the cuteness in it.

It's a little known fact that the jesus picture is based on my son. And no I don't know how they managed that centuries ago, but we are talking about a god here.

351317671_e04b6f4e17_m.jpg

Jesus is depicted as having long brown hair (more recent art adds gold highlights), and possessing rather feminine features (look beyond the beard at the bone structure). In fact, you take of the Jesus beard, and BOOM, you have a picture many would ID as Mother Mary.
Funny you should say that. My bosses happen to have a holographic picture above a walkway that morphs from Jesus to Mary.

An artist friend of mine was hounded by his mother for years to do a painting of Jesus for her sister. Finally he did, and got a grateful phone call from his mom, the content of which he relayed to me:

"She just loves it, Dear, just loves it! I asked her if it looks like Him and she said, 'Exactly!' "

This is my favorite art work of Jesus.

ROFLMAO

I love these new works of art you are making HZ! GLORY! One day they are destined to be in the smithsonian!

As far as the original question, artists render their art based on impressions. I think the reason jeebus looks sort of girlish is because he is portrayed by xtians as "gentle" and "loving" traits not commonly associated with men, at least of that era.

And I am guessing most of the artists were white as well, as they tend to make pictures of him the same as their race.

Looks kinda like a hippie to me...

passionoftheHZ.jpg

Right on! Love it, love it!

:58:

This was just too scary not to share!

JesusJuice.gif

This was just too scary not to share!

Damn hes whiter then I am lol