Goodbye Jesus

Time, Infinity, Blah, Blah

Guest end3

The statement is: Our lives are measured in time, and assuming time is infinite, and our life spans finite, then time always exists within our life span, but our life spans approach zero in time.

The "God did it" analogy I am seeing is: God always exists within our lifetime, but we are limited to just that, the access to God within that span, unless we accept God and are "reborn" into the infinite.

Now is this just justification for my belief, or is there evidence of a religion or culture preceeding Christianity that brought the same premise.

And if the statement is incorrect, then would a knowledgeable person please correct the statement.

End, you rascal, you finally posted it.

I have spoken with some who thought that time was complex. And that it may not be as simple as points on a line.

The statement is: Our lives are measured in time, and assuming time is infinite, and our life spans finite, then time always exists within our life span, but our life spans approach zero in time.

This is incorrect I believe, notice the bolding. Time does not really exist, it is just a system of measuring change. When science says when we see a star explode through our telescopes, and tell us that it actually happened millions of years ago, that is because it took that long for the light (hence the image) to get here. We know dark matter exists because it's gravity bends light, making the distance abnormally longer, thus the time dilation is the evidence. In other words, it took longer to get here then other things in it's sector should. It is only based on the speed of light, not something actually known as "time". So time is infinite, with or without you or your god. It is truly infinite because it does not really exist.

The "God did it" analogy I am seeing is: God always exists within our lifetime, but we are limited to just that, the access to God within that span, unless we accept God and are "reborn" into the infinite.

Sounds like non-scientific total superstition to me.

Now is this just justification for my belief, or is there evidence of a religion or culture preceeding Christianity that brought the same premise.

It's just pure illogical superstitious speculation, and not even close to plausible.

That help you out?

I have spoken with some who thought that time was complex. And that it may not be as simple as points on a line.

Some famous guy said it was relative. ;)

Some famous guy said it was relative. ;)

:grin: Hans you know the funny thing is that I had forgoten about Einstein. I just totally forgot. :Doh: Thanks for the reminder.

Good thing that imagination is more important than knowledge.

Sounds like a rationalization to me, but then I'm biased as hell :P

Do you mean a culture that believed in an eternal life after death? You don't have to look hard...

Oookaay.. I guess that makes some sense from a Christian perspective. But what exactly is your point there?

Hindus had the idea of an infinite, unborn uncreated self before Babylon was founded. There again, the Hindus also knew were was more than one Galaxy, that our solar system orbits a central point, and spirals in space... but no Jesus is the source of every good idea in the whole of time... still trying to make up crap that makes Christianity 'unique' you idiot? It's not even an entertaining copy of other religions... it's Paganised Judaism... but you've been told that and told that and seem incapable of doing even limited research to check your hypotheses again known histories...

"Accept God" - what does that mean? Will any god do? "Reborn" what does that mean? You are just thowing out vague, meaningless statements.

I think you are justifying your belief.

I think he just makes stuff up...

At the risk of repeating oft used arguments: Prove it.

You claim an omniscent all-powerful yet unseen entity that sees all, knows all, and controls my fate. I maintain no such claims. I don't claim any miracles, sky spooks, golden cities in the sky, or talking snakes.

Again, Prove it.

Ya'll are correct, it is relative, and relative to my point of view.

Deva,

Please ignore the Christian rhetoric...the point was, is there a soul/force/energy that gets conserved when our bodies die. My opinion was this observance was similar to the Christian view, obviously an opinion that is not relished like a hot dog at the ball game.

Par,

Please observe my faith for proof...

Ya'll are correct, it is relative, and relative to my point of view.

Deva,

Please ignore the Christian rhetoric...the point was, is there a soul/force/energy that gets conserved when our bodies die. My opinion was this observance was similar to the Christian view, obviously an opinion that is not relished like a hot dog at the ball game.

Par,

Thinking processes are a product of mental brain functioning. Cells in your brain also store memories, memories make up a large portion of our consciousness. Without this biological computer, consciousness and memory cannot function, so that leaves you with nothing after death.

BTW faith is ZERO proof of anything. If you have faith you are immune from injury, a truck slamming into you will still kill or injure you, no matter what your faith is.

• Super Moderator

Time, infinity, all good topics of discussion for theoretical scientists, college freshmen, and stoners. As transient life forms we have little chance of getting it right. Einstein had a theory, and so did my old buddy Bob the Weed Man. Bottom line is nobody knows for sure the nature of time other than how it applies to our everyday lives. We can't even say for sure that time exists independently of our constructs.

I guess you can use this open-ended topic of eternal-sounding themes to highlight your belief in god. Doesn't explain or mean a thing.

- Chris

Chris,

I just pick on ya'll in good spirited fun. ;)

And Mike,

It is just like that "dark" matter to warp stuff.... damn dark matter

Par,

I consider it absolute proof that you believe in the sky spook.

I got a helluva deal on a bridge in NY........:lmao:

Deva,

If that is what you mean, fine, but we could hardly get this from your earlier statement. Makes us think, like Gramps, that you make it up as you go along.

"opinion that is not relished like a hot dog" - cute.

Reminds one of 'Life is like a box o' choc-lits'

End I thought I would give this a little bump and put a link here that people might enjoy. Judith Rosen is interested in the nature of time.

http://www.rosen-enterprises.com/RobertRos...eorylaunch.html