Goodbye Jesus

Where Do I Begin?

mahjong

Well. It's been a long time since I've been here. I can say that years ago, when the internet first began, there was no ex christian site. :) Years after I lost my religion I found this site. It has been with me since, I don't know, about 2001 or 2. Anyway, Dave has been a wonderful source of encouragement. I was so afraid to tell my story. Either my family knew my 'descent' into the bowels of fundamentalism. They loved me all the time, though they worried about my extremeism. Or my Seventh Day Adventist friends became like my enemy. Not that they were cruel. Not at all. But I needed desperately to break away from this religion that was suffocating me. And it was difficult to leave people that genuinely cared about me. Misguided, yet sincere. I was raised Catholic, what did they expect? I was drawn to the Seventh Day Adventists because, by and large, they were sincere poeple. And I was a vegetarian, anyway. That was the easy part.

I hope this makes sense, as I am exhausted.

Anyway, now I am in Colorado Springs. It's like Long Island, NY, where I was born. Only no ocean. A great big mountain, though. I live off of Pikes Peak Avenue and get a view of the Mountain every morning. How cool is that?

Since I have lived here, (I arrived here at the end of June, 2000), my sister and her family, my mom, and I and my kids and husband moved here. He is my husband now. We married on July 4, 2002.

I have lost a brother due to a brain aneurisim on Feb. 7, 2001, eight months after I moved here.

My niece was murdered on April 28, 2007. Almost a year ago. Her name is Elizabeth Michele Ellsworth. My poor sister is desperately angry and grieving the way Italians know how to grieve.

My oldest son, who is 32 now, was homeless for 7 years. He moved back in about 4 years ago. Whatever will be, will be...

I opened a restaurant, called Bravino's, on Feb. 1, 2008. It has been a lifelong dream. It is a lot of hard work, but it is so much fun. Every day is a new challenge.

Thank you, Ex-Christian, for being here all this time. I feel that I have a connection with the rest of the ex-christian world here. We may not always agree, and we don't have to love each other for it. Though we do, because it's a good idea. Maybe we're helping to prevent another war. There's a good thought.

I am wondering if Vixentrox is still around? She lives here, in Colorado Springs, and I would love to meet her someday. I just don't know how to negotiate this site yet. I actually came here to pm Vixentrox. Ah well, the technology moves on.

Since this is a new business, I have not been able to contribute to this site. I just have to prioritize. However, I plan to be financially supportive, as I have been in past years, as soon as I can. Y'all should ad an extra dollar to your contribution for me. We have to keep supporting the ex-christians. We don't need a building to meet in. That would cost you WAY more, like at least 10% of your gross wages. We just need to help keep this site on line. Is Dave cool, or what?!

Cheers, everyone! I will try to keep up on the latest. If I can figure out my way around this site...

Anyone here who remembers me, drop a line via pm. I would appreciate any encouragement on my new business. It is my heart's desire, and I aim to be successful.

Kisses and Hugs-

MaryJane

Bravino's Trattoria & Pizzeria

3536 N. Academy Blvd.

Colorado Springs, CO

Just in case you happen to be in Colorado Springs. Ask for me, you'll get a little something special. Like free desert! Yummy!

I don't have time to download the spell check. Sorry to any editors, I try, God knows, I try!

It's great to see you again!

I did a quick member search for Vixentrox and she doesn't seem to be in Dave's database any more. The site has gone through a reworking or two, so I assume she hasn't been back since the last one. I know I haven't seen her for a long time.

How outstanding that you got your Pizzeria going! So cool! And in Colorado Springs, too. Maybe you could comp the Focus Institute some nice castor oil and slippery elm bark pizzas as a thank-you for all their fine work.

I lived in Denver and Boulder for a while and the Rockies are truly awesome and always a beautiful sight.

Loren

Guest eejay

Hi, I wasn't on the site when you were last here, but I'm glad I found it. Colorado sure is a beautuful place. Spent a lot of time flying through it over 8 years ago. Kind of miss it, but life keeps changing, doesn't it? Used to fly for American Check Transport, and was most of the time based in Salt Lake City. I had a US Mail route that took me from Salt Lake to Denver, then Alamosa, Durango, Grand Junction, then back to Salt Lake. My departute from Denver Centennial (APA) to Alamosa took me right over the Colrado Springs/Pikes Peak area. Actually my route of flight was the Pikes Two departure, Alamosa transition. Although the flying I did during that time ws challenging, it was absolutely one of the most awe inspiring experiences I have ever had in aviation. You just can't get that flying from Florida to NYC.

Didn't mean to get carried away, but if I could go back to any job, I would do that again in a heartbeat. If I get up to Colorado I will definately keep your restaurant in mind. I specifically love Italian food, and am addicted to good pizza, which is kind of hard to find in the southern states. Good luck with your business,

I saw Vix post a few weeks ago. I remember because it had been a long time since I'd seen her around. I don't know if she deleted her account since, but she has definately been around since the last major changeover.

Good for you. I fully support the spread of good pizza throughout the world.

mahjong!

Good to see your return and post here.

Seems life continues its busy paces no matter how much we'd prefer it to slow down and let things rest..

Running an eatery is tons of work, hoping you and yours make a wonderful *go* of doing business and building a lasting returning paying patronage.

"Luck" sucks. I'll wish you good "fortune" and all that it implies..

kevinL

MaryJane!

It's wonderful to see you appear here among us again.

I'm torn between hoping you'll find time to post more regularly and hoping your restaurant keeps you too busy to do so.

All the best to you and to your new venture.

Hi! It's nice to see you posting again!

MJ! Good grief, but it's been a long time!

I'll have to look it up and remind myself whether Colorado Springs is anywhere near Rifle or Denver. I've family in both locations, and it'd be fun to stop in for a pizza some time if it's not too far out of the way. :)

Thanks, everyone. Well, Colorado Springs is about an hour out of Denver. And by way of information, my dad got this pizza recipe from the first pizza maker in the country. Or at least from family of the first pizza maker. So this is a really old, turn of the century pizza. Look up Grimaldi's Pizza. My dad knew Joe Grimaldi in West Islip, NY and learned the business from him.

Well, if anyone does see Vixentrox around, let her know I was asking about her.

As for the Focus on the Family group, I plan to advertise on their radio station. The reason: what locals call the 'halo affect'. If Christians hear advertising on their station they see it as a message from god to them. Anyone's money is good enough for me. Also, my business neighbor is a Salon & Spa. They said that people will call to ask if this is a Christian owned business. My husband is a Krishna and I am hard of hearing, so of course this is a Krishna owned business. (One of the men who owns the salon is named Christian, so they do have a Christian owned business.)

Thanks again for your wishes. I still come to the site on a semi-regular basis just to nose around, though admittedly I have been away for at least 3 or 4 months. I don't always post, but I like seeing what's up. Who the 'group' is, etc. We used to have a group who were flirting and I think some of them ended up dating and leaving spouses, etc. That spiced things up a bit. I enjoy a bit of gossip now and again.

Cheers, everyone!

MJ

I hope you are advertising your pizza exactly like you explained here. The story about your dad and the first pizza recipe in the US is golden for marketing. You'll put the local pizza hut out of business if you play it right.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest writing the story just like you did here and placing it on all your placemats. This is exactly the right way to get word of mouth advertising going.

Good luck!

Welcome back MJ! :yellow:

Mary Jane,

I'm a newcomer to this site, but just wanted to say hello. I haven't been to Colorado since 1977, but it was quite a memorable experience. Pike's Peak is awesome! I'll never forget snowball fights in July. That was really fun for me and my little sister.

I hope your restaurant is doing well, it sounds great! One of these days, I'd love to visit Colorado and stop in.

All the best to you and your family,

Alpha Centauri

Thanks again, everyone. Vigile, I have been putting together a bio and this is pretty simple and direct, so thanks for your input. I messaged Vixentrox, thanks for that info Dave.