Goodbye Jesus

Infiltration Of Secular Radio

chaddjohnson

Anyone else notice this? I'm driving down the road, listening to the "80's, 90's, and today" station, and all of the sudden, Jesus music is playing! Other times I've heard church commercials, telling me how sinful I am and that I need a savior. WTF??? If I want to hear that, I will listen to the Christian station, or I will go to church. I specifically listen to the secular stations BECAUSE I do not want to listen to the Christian ones.

The station comes patches into one out of Dallas at certain times, and I think the Christian stuff is coming from a local source. I am totally going to complain to the station manager. Gawd I need to get out of this stupid town.

Guest eejay

Dallas is not the only place that does shit like that. Traveling through most ofthe bible belt states will produce the same results. When I drive in TN, AL, and GA I have to turn the radio off most of the time, cause usually the choice of music sucks or it's got those messages thown in. As soon as they start talking about gawd and jeus, it's done with for me. So...I have to bring my own music. By the way, thanks for the warning, I'll be in Dallas tonite through the weekend.

Dallas is not the only place that does shit like that. Traveling through most ofthe bible belt states will produce the same results. When I drive in TN, AL, and GA I have to turn the radio off most of the time, cause usually the choice of music sucks or it's got those messages thown in. As soon as they start talking about gawd and jeus, it's done with for me. So...I have to bring my own music. By the way, thanks for the warning, I'll be in Dallas tonite through the weekend.

I doubt Dallas would do that because it would not appeal to as many people there. This was probably just a local station that patched that in, so you should be safe.

Wow, so I emailed the (local) station, and they responded within five minutes:

Thanks for reaching out with your concerns. Can you be more specific? Which commercial (and/or songs) are you referring to?

i run across christian stations near my npr band, very scary when at night im trying to turn on some talking and sleep and accidently switch it to the fundie station. nothing like eterenal damnation to give you insomnia sheesh!!

Watched American Idol last night (Apr 2) and I though a revival was going to break out. Had the Clark Bros. who won another talent show and they are solidly gospel, Dolly and her imitators did some hymns, and a song from Dolly's new album called Jesus and Gravity (and it's just as big a piece of shit as you would imagine.)

This is prime time national programming. Do I have to have loud obnoxious xtians worshipping on a supposed entertainment show? They get sunday mornings, leave my damn weeknights alone.

• Super Moderator
Watched American Idol last night (Apr 2) and I though a revival was going to break out. Had the Clark Bros. who won another talent show and they are solidly gospel, Dolly and her imitators did some hymns, and a song from Dolly's new album called Jesus and Gravity (and it's just as big a piece of shit as you would imagine.)

This is prime time national programming. Do I have to have loud obnoxious xtians worshipping on a supposed entertainment show? They get sunday mornings, leave my damn weeknights alone.

Duh, it's American Idol. America is a Christian By God Country!

- Chris

Duh, it's American Idol. America is a Christian By God Country!

- Chris

And so... the 'idolatry' of American 'Idol'... is like... not fucking obvious enough for xtians???!!!! :nono:

They 'should' (for LR & Vigile) be the last demographic to be watching.

Sheesh!

Mongo

Yeah I've noticed that too. On one of the radio stations I listen they play church ads, and there's one song that they play by Mindy Smith that is most definitely Christian. They haven't played it for a while now though.

Before anyone gets a kink in their undies, that is not uncommon from past history. Many songs by classical composers were christian. The radio stations play them because there is enough of an audience for them to attract an audience. They need to attract an audience in order to be able to charge a level in advertising fees that will allow them to pay the bills and stay on the air. If you have a problem, take it up with the station manager or owners of the station. Usually they use consultants who use statistical analysis as to their music mix, the only exception being public radio...NPR.

That's basically what the station said in a later email. Still, I wish Christian music would remain strictly on Christian stations. And I would not be surprised if these songs and commercials are being played at least in part because of Christian activists trying to wiggle their ways into the secular world.