Goodbye Jesus

I Finally Did It!

Guest YoungandBroken

Guest YoungandBroken

I finally did it!! I told my mom that i was no longer going to attend chruch because i was an athiset, then she got all mad and said i was going or i would lose the TV or she would cut of the internet. I told her she couldn't punish me for my beliefs. Then i explained to her i would not support a cult that supports ideas such as hell and armageddon. Long ago i discussed bible contradictions but she didn't take it very seriously. Well things may get worse since my mom is all about faith, she may tell her friends. Everything she does will change now and now she is going to try to make me feel guilty every minute of the day. She didn't like me calling it a cult but thats what I called it, sure she was offended but how did i feel when i was forced to go to church against my own will.

• Super Moderator

Congratulations on expressing your beliefs. Christians feel free to express themselves, but we don't have that privilege.

Take care, you are still a minor and owe your mom respect even though you think she is wrong. Let her know you respect her beliefs as they apply to her, but you just see things differently. Don't go looking for trouble until you are older, on your own, and have adequate knowledge of why people are atheists in a religious society. You will be questioned relentlessly if you flaunt your atheism.

Good luck.

- Chris

What florduh said. :)

Good that you can stand up for what you feel and believe, just don't let it be the cause of a big fight.

It's a very big, very brave step you've taken, Y&B.

Following the advice from Florduh and Hans can help you continue to manage your newly-stated position with grace, peace and maturity.

congragulations on coming out. i'm happy for you, and i hope i will be able to come out to my family soon. that will be an interesting situation also, seeing as how my brother in law is a preacher. best of luck to both of us. :P

I agree, that was a brave thing to do. From one Atheist 'n' Out 17-year-old to another, start counting your disapproving-glances-a-day and you may eventually break a world record.

A bit of advice, if I may presume to give it: Don't exercise your urge to argue your new position on your family. People don't like being told they're wrong, and convincing them that they are won't endear you to them. It may be best just to let it be known that you're atheist and leave it at that, so you can all maintain a civil, agree-to-disagree relationship. ;)

It may be best just to let it be known that you're atheist and leave it at that, so you can all maintain a civil, agree-to-disagree relationship. ;)

Yeah, what Jack said. It is plenty enough to say "I'm not arguing with you, or trying to take away your faith, just saying I don't share that faith and would rather not discuss it." Then do lots and lots of private research and study about dealing with Christians so that when you are moved out on your own and supporting yourself, you'll be all boned up on how to discuss it rationally. :-)

I finally did it!! I told my mom that i was no longer going to attend chruch because i was an athiset, then she got all mad and said i was going or i would lose the TV or she would cut of the internet. I told her she couldn't punish me for my beliefs. Then i explained to her i would not support a cult that supports ideas such as hell and armageddon. Long ago i discussed bible contradictions but she didn't take it very seriously. Well things may get worse since my mom is all about faith, she may tell her friends. Everything she does will change now and now she is going to try to make me feel guilty every minute of the day. She didn't like me calling it a cult but thats what I called it, sure she was offended but how did i feel when i was forced to go to church against my own will.

Good on you! It's good to come out to family, so when she thinks about atheism, she sees you. Remember to tell her that you are the same person, it's just that you no longer possess a belief in god.