Goodbye Jesus

Who Should I Blame Then?

DarthOkkata

There are a lot of people who claim Christianity.

I am getting sick of hearing the phrase used just to push aside rude behavior or to cement a belligerent viewpoint.

"Well, they aren't real christians then!"

As if there's some sort of 'faith indicator' T-shirt. I've heard this from all sorts of religion, just replace christian with believer, or whatever the religion calls itself.

They won't separate themselves from these fake Christians. Surely there must be a way to weed them out. They infest every congregation if the individual word of most of the congregation is to be believed.

There's no real distinction, other than some sort of unspoken disagreement. Which leaves me to wonder why it's never discussed.

After all, everyone thinks they're a 'real christian'. It's not really defined what is and is not a 'real christian'. If you're not going to bother correcting them, why bother lumping them with you. "Oh, they're just pretending. So we just let them." Seems like inviting guilt by association.

I know I'm a real atheist, because what makes an Atheist is clearly defined.

"Don't believe in god."

What is a real christian, and why can't you make a church that is more effective at creating them? According to Christians, the world would be perfect if we only did. Every time I hear that phrase, I feel like the Jesus Factory is putting out cheap crap with Made In China stamped onto it somewhere.

What's the deal with it anyway?

If I shouldn't blame Christianity for turning them into bigoted asshats with bibe backed offensive positions, or just inconsiderate twits, who should I blame then?

What defines a "True Christian" is a subjective opinion instead of an objective fact, and it irritates me too that every Christian believe he/she is one, and other Christians are judged based on this single persons idea of what a "True" Christian is.

I can't stand this either, and it seems like the only time Christians accuse others of being "fake" Christians is if the "fake" Christians are doing something wrong that makes Christianity look bad. So, instead of taking responsibility for the rabid fanatics their religion produces, they just disown whoever makes them look bad as not being "real" Christians. It gets even more annoying when the "fake" Christians are actually doing what the bible says literally yet the "real" Christians accuse them of being fake because they can't stand the fact that the bible says something they don't like and it drives me insane, especially since the bible doesn't give any definition as to what a "real" Christian is.

Looking back on things, I get the impression that 'Real Christians' are as imaginary as God is.

Sort of like the Arian supermen, but with love for Jesus and everyone replacing the blond haired blue eyed-ness.

Some sort of impossible ideal, that no one seems to notice they aren't achieving.

Looking back on things, I get the impression that 'Real Christians' are as imaginary as God is.

Sort of like the Arian supermen, but with love for Jesus and everyone replacing the blond haired blue eyed-ness.

Some sort of impossible ideal, that no one seems to notice they aren't achieving.

Of course they are imaginary. It is of course, their imagination that defines them as true. There are many sects of xtianity, not just people, that feel theirs is the true religion. Which really, only fuels dispair.

After all, pascal's wager, now not only applies to other religions, it also now applies to other sects. So instead of thinking "all the muslims" are going to burn now it is not only them, but it's also others that don't share the details of their belief. It's all in the details it seems. Apparently god is lawyer, and is going over every sect's lines of dogma determining who get into heaven and who don't.

But you know, they WANT it that way. Really they do. Because all most ALL of them feel that "many shall come, but few will enter" you will hear phrases like the "chosen few". Whenever a church becomes BIG it must also become WRONG because they all "think" they know that only a few will enter in.

How dismal and depressing an existance this must be. They have to wonder deep down, "if" their little corner of the xtian world is the right one or the wrong one. Of course, way deep down they know they are wrong totally. They put it out of their mind.

I know an xtain whom I admire, and consider a friend. I asked him once why he believed. He told me it was because he was "taught" this, and it gives him peace of mind. When he questions it, he feels uneasy, so he CHOOSES not to question, not to ponder, to trust and have blind faith.

I feel sorry for him, but I also respect him, never does he preach or condem, nor will he engage in religious argements, he knows better. He makes it obvious in conversation, that he is vulnerable. And that might be why some argue so fiercely for their religion, fear of loosing it.

common sense dwells within us all, even the dimmest bulbs. Somewhere, there is a voice deep inside, not just christians, but all religious people that is crying, screaming, this is bullshit.

I've been told that if you blame others the consequence is bitterness. And that makes some measure of sense to me.

I've been told that if you blame others the consequence is bitterness. And that makes some measure of sense to me.

Maybe, but if you ignore responsibility, the consequence is suffering.

But you know, they WANT it that way. Really they do. Because all most ALL of them feel that "many shall come, but few will enter" you will hear phrases like the "chosen few". Whenever a church becomes BIG it must also become WRONG because they all "think" they know that only a few will enter in.

I ran across an article, a poll really, where catholics overwhelmingly admitted that they wouldn't be happy in heaven unless they knew their protestant counterparts were suffering in hell. Great xtian values, eh? I'll try to find and post the poll. :die:

• Super Moderator

I hope there are enough little boys in that Catholic heaven to keep the priests happy.

I hope there are enough little boys in that Catholic heaven to keep the priests happy.

Good one, Chris. :lmao:

I do find it funny that most will condemn a group for not being Christian, until religious censuses come out, then anyone claiming to be of that religion is counted, so they can cheer being the biggest.

Size does not matter, of course, it is how you use your it. And many religions have too many who use it badly.

Maybe, but if you ignore responsibility, the consequence is suffering.

This also makes some measure of sense to me.

This seems to be a popular topic lately; it really is a profound thing to think about. WHY, ideed, are there so many xtians who are so sure that someone else isn't a "REAL" xtian? I believe, from my own personal experience, that it's because the average fundy preacher deals in pretty much only one topic on any given Sunday:

"There's so much great stuff in the bible. You're not doing enough of it. Let's all 'rededicate' ourselves to the Lard."

See? In this way, the average xtian is being told all the deeply devotional thoughts and feelings they are supposed to have. As they conjure up these deep, convicted emotions, they begin to see anyone who doesn't pretend as piously as they do as... here it comes again... "not a 'REAL' Christian".

I've had friends that COULD NOT have a regular conversation that referenced other xtians without asking things like:

"Do they believe in the baptism of the spirit and speaking in tongues? 'Cause that's the truth and they need to 'press in' and get into the fulness of god if they don't."

"Well, are they REALLY walking with the Lard? 'Cause I've seen so-and-so in church and they don't seem to be REALLY worshipping... just standing there. I can tell their spirit's not free and REALLY deep in worship."

Seriously... these people NEVER talked about church or other xtians without bringing up the idea that SOMEONE in their midst was probably not... once again... "a REAL Christian".

Again, I believe it's because when a person gets all enthusiastic about their religion and then sees others who are not as zealous, they automatically assume that they are on some higher level. OBVIOUSLY (insert sarcasm here), if those people were REALLY into their 'walk' with the 'lard', they would be like me.

God damn, am I glad to be away from those fucking hypocrites.

That's not true! I know exactly what a real Christian is.

A real Christian is honest, faithful, loving, considerate and excepting of his fellow man...

no wait... a Real Christian is honest, faithful, mostly loving annnd...

a Real Christian is honest and generally faithful and...

a REAL Christian is honest and really kinda likes people...

a Real Christian is...

umm...

aehhhhyeee...

Oh hell, let's be honest. A Real Christian is well intentioned, but convoluted, contradictory, & dysfunctional thanks to believing in a book that encourages contradictory & dysfunctional behavior.

That, my friends...is a REAL CHRISTIAN.

NOBODY EXPECTS A REAL CHRISTIAN!

You can tell a real christian by two traits.

A real Christian is faithful and kind.

Um, three traits, you can tell a real christian by three traits! A real Christian is faithful, kind, and honest!

Four! Four traits! A real Christian is kind, faithful, honest, with an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope...

Five! Five traits! A real Christian is kind, faithful, honest, with an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and a generous personality...

Now, you are accused of not being Christian enough on three counts! -- heresy by thought, heresy by word, heresy by deed, and heresy by action -- *four* counts. Do you confess?

Ha! Then we'll make you understand! Fetch...THE CUSHIONS!

[JARRING CHORD]

Now, you have one last chance. Confess the heinous sin of unchristian conduct, reject the works of the ungodly -- *two* last chances. And you shall be free -- *three* last chances. You have three last chances, the nature of which I have divulged in my previous utterance.

Right! If that's the way you want it! Poke them with the soft cushions!

Confess! Confess! Confess! [angrily hurling away the cushions]

Hm! Made of harder stuff!? Fetch...THE COMFY CHAIR!

[JARRING CHORD]

So you think you are strong because you can survive the soft cushions? Well, we shall see! Put them in the Comfy Chair!