Goodbye Jesus

Debating with Christians?

Guest FreestyleFred

Guest FreestyleFred

I came to this forum for multiple reasons. One reason is that I enjoy debating, be it with other Christians or with non-Christians, debating leads to new knowledge about both your own personal belief and that of other people. Now, how can this section truly be titled "debating with Christians"? I have yet to see more than 3 or 4 other Christians debating within this section of the forum. To be truly honest, the majority of what I have seen is a bunch of atheists, ex-Christians, etc, all ranting on about how many flaws there are in the Christian faith, how much they hate Christians, and how many contradictions there are within the "lie that is the Bible". I have seen very little to back up these accusations, maybe they were posted in older threads, maybe I am missing the threads that they are posted in, or maybe when I am skimming through in search for these allegations I am missing them, but I have yet to see them.

I have only made a few posts on here, and so far I have been treated with respect (as I would expect in return for the respect that I show for others beliefs), but where are the other Christians that are supposed to be debating on here? I do not wish to be wasting my time reading threads that are all entirely dedicated to statements about how Christianity is wrong without seeing much or any information to truly back up their own statements.

I hope that I may have some intelligent and fair debates with some people on here in the future, I am estimating that you may hear more from me in the future...

Edit:

PS: How do I change the image below my avatar to something other than "Ex-Christians Unite"? Thanks.

I came to this forum for multiple reasons. One reason is that I enjoy debating, be it with other Christians or with non-Christians, debating leads to new knowledge about both your own personal belief and that of other people. Now, how can this section truly be titled "debating with Christians"? I have yet to see more than 3 or 4 other Christians debating within this section of the forum. To be truly honest, the majority of what I have seen is a bunch of atheists, ex-Christians, etc, all ranting on about how many flaws there are in the Christian faith, how much they hate Christians, and how many contradictions there are within the "lie that is the Bible". I have seen very little to back up these accusations, maybe they were posted in older threads, maybe I am missing the threads that they are posted in, or maybe when I am skimming through in search for these allegations I am missing them, but I have yet to see them.

I have only made a few posts on here, and so far I have been treated with respect (as I would expect in return for the respect that I show for others beliefs), but where are the other Christians that are supposed to be debating on here? I do not wish to be wasting my time reading threads that are all entirely dedicated to statements about how Christianity is wrong without seeing much or any information to truly back up their own statements.

I hope that I may have some intelligent and fair debates with some people on here in the future, I am estimating that you may hear more from me in the future...

Edit:

PS: How do I change the image below my avatar to something other than "Ex-Christians Unite"? Thanks.

Hi Fred! Great to see you here!

If you wish to start any debates, then by all means get your own thread going. We usually do have a few Christians here who generally spam a bit then leave.

Edit:

We do have Christians coming in now and then and do full blown debates, but at several occasion I think we have scared them away, and they don't come back. And the reason is that some tend to be very offensive in their way of arguing, and not reading our responses or reading the linked sites with information we give them. But it all depends on what kind of debate we're having.

The Christians you see staying are the once that are more level headed and actually do listen and learn.

The conflict we usually see is that most of the members on this site have a (sometimes long) background from Christianity, so we're familiar with how and what is argued from both sides, and very few things are new to us. This causes problems since many Christians that come here think we're uneducated and ignorant, and that would be the reason to our apostacy. This couldn't be further from the truth.

You seem to be a decent Christian that I wouldn't mind having contributing to the discussions. So welcome, and lets get the ball rolling. :)

Guest FreestyleFred

Thank you for showing respect to me, and of course you will recieve it in return. I think it is sad to hear that Christians are coming and spamming, things like that only weaken other Christians arguments. I will probably get my own thread going soon, I plan to be concrete in my arguments, that is why I have not quickly started to post threads that cannot fully support themselves.

As I have seen from some peoples reactions, many of you seem educated. As long as I don't start a thread that has random people posting things like "No, your wrong!" or "I hate Christians!" because simple posts like that are probably what make some of the Christians that come to this forum feel as though many people on this forum are ignorant and uneducated. I am sure I will have some interesting debates on here, you can expect me to start a thread in the future...

Hello Fred,

I second what has been said here already.

Most christians who come here show perfect ignorance right from the start. How? Well, they use nothing but stuff that we don't consider valid... and if the "standard christian visitor" would have had a look at the wealth of information and threads on this site, he'd have known better and tried something else.

So Mr or Ms Standard Christian of the Standard Christian dynasty comes here and tells us such unheard gems of wisdom like "Jesus loves you" (how clever to tell that to someone who's convinced that Jesus never existed!), "You're going to hell!" (Oh pleeeease! Same as the Jesus claim), "You just want to sin without fear of judgment!" (Guess if we believe in sin if we don't believe in christianity...) et cetera, et cetera, FNORD et cetera, ad nauseam.

Naturally, we react accordingly. If someone (intentionally or not) basically says "You are all idiots who can easily be fooled by me, I just need to regurgitate something you've heard a zillion times", we tell him to get lost. And most do get lost fast. Frankly, I don't miss them.

There are the rare exceptions... and yes, I find it somewhat sad that they are so rare. :shrug: But it seems, doesn't it?, like most christians are of that thoughtless variant (and "thoughtless" is a very kind word, considering what other words I normally use in that context).

I've only seen your posting above from you, so far. Reads like you're one of the more exceptional christians. We'll see how your stay here turns out. I do have some hope. ;)

Tottalyatpeace (TAP), SOIL, Amanda are some of the more notable Xtians here.

Hi, Fred. ;)

Don't worry about your little red ribbon. It will soon change to yellow and your name will be highlighted in blue!

Welcome.......

Totally at Peace

Edit:

A moderator will get around to it once he or she sees you.

Tottalyatpeace (TAP), SOIL, Amanda are some of the more notable Xtians here.

And BigToe too....

Where has Mad Gerbil disappeared to?

Hi Fred,

I hope you do hang out here and stay for a while. It's a pretty good place when you get to know the folks a bit.

It really is great to read both sides in an intelligent debate and I think we all come away from it learning from each other.

To be truly honest, the majority of what I have seen is a bunch of atheists, ex-Christians, etc, all ranting on about how many flaws there are in the Christian faith, how much they hate Christians, and how many contradictions there are within the "lie that is the Bible". I have seen very little to back up these accusations, maybe they were posted in older threads, maybe I am missing the threads that they are posted in, or maybe when I am skimming through in search for these allegations I am missing them, but I have yet to see them.

Fred,

There are several threads and debates to view (although our history only goes back to April in this forum when the whole thing had to be restarted - click the "Old Forum" button above for more posts).

Here's a thread in the current forum related to bible discrepancies... http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showtopic=1609&hl=

Hi Fred,

Welcome to Ex-C. Great to have you here, and hope we can break some common ground.

Alot of what is said is based upon close personal experiences, rational thinking and common sense. There's a bit of personal pain in here, so have a read of people's testimonies. It may provide you with some of the answers you are seeking.

Some of us are big on evolution, some cosmology, others theology, others politics. I tend to favour social and secular issues.

See you round the boards.

Guest FreestyleFred
Fred,

There are several threads and debates to view (although our history only goes back to April in this forum when the whole thing had to be restarted - click the "Old Forum" button above for more posts).

Here's a thread in the current forum related to bible discrepancies... http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showtopic=1609&hl=

I see. I searched through that thread and did not see a single post by a Christian, why are they not refuting? Were there no Christians on at that time or something? I will be sure to be the one there in the future to go against these allegations, I do not wish to do each of those on that thread one by one, but I will most likely be in future debates like this. (I will make it a debate, lol, that thread wasn't exactly a debate, :P

I see. I searched through that thread and did not see a single post by a Christian, why are they not refuting? Were there no Christians on at that time or something? I will be sure to be the one there in the future to go against these allegations, I do not wish to do each of those on that thread one by one, but I will most likely be in future debates like this. (I will make it a debate, lol, that thread wasn't exactly a debate,  :P

Like I said before...a lot of us know the bible better than you think.

I am a very slow reader and I don't read through very many threads anymore. I also still have a job (just barely though). Since there are a relatively small number of self proclaiming Christians who do sometimes read what is said at this site - if any of us tried to read through (and respond to) most of the new threads - then the sheer time and emotional energy required, I suspect, might mean we would lose our jobs and perhaps also eventually our family relationships.

Fred, if you are still single, and if you have a lot of time you can invest here, I would be very happy to see you read through all of the threads and respond whenever you feel a response is needed!!!

I just can't do that. You may have a brain that allows you to read quickly and respond quickly, while also being able to write in a way which is easy for folks to read and which clearl communicates what you want to say. I hope you do! Unfortunately I don't.

I myself, am very much challenged in many areas which are much needed here.

I have been asking a lot of questions myself - about fundamental things - I am trying to be willing to listen to many of the regular posters here.

I still don't agree with most of the "ex-"s - but I have hung around for quite a while now.

At the time of that particular thread - I guess I must have been away for maybe a week or so.

(I just now took a quick look at the date/time on the first post - and I don't even remember seeing the thread at all. Strange, actually - but there was a week or so around that time when I was experiencing a lot of family oriented stress - and I didn't even look at this site at all.)

-Dennis

Hi Fred,

We seldom get such a nice introduction from Christians. I appreciate it.

I came to this forum for multiple reasons. One reason is that I enjoy debating, be it with other Christians or with non-Christians, debating leads to new knowledge about both your own personal belief and that of other people. Now, how can this section truly be titled "debating with Christians"? I have yet to see more than 3 or 4 other

We haven't had so many Christians of late. Most don't do well when we dissagree with them. Some come in with both fists a flying and get upset about getting flamed for it

Christians debating within this section of the forum. To be truly honest, the majority of what I have seen is a bunch of atheists, ex-Christians, etc, all ranting on about how many flaws there are in the Christian faith, how much they hate Christians, and how many contradictions there are within the "lie that is the Bible".

It's what we do when we are waiting for you to stop by.

I have seen very little to back up these accusations, maybe they were posted in older threads, maybe I am missing the threads that they are posted in, or maybe when I am skimming through in search for these allegations I am missing them, but I have yet to see them.

Why should we back them up to each other? We already know the drill. If you like to challange an accusation, by all means do.

Yes, for sure. Just throw your 2 cents in and you will get plenty of back up. You might get a bit of guff too.

Edit:

Yes I hope you do.

Wow - amazing how I missed t that other thread -- I just did a search and found that I actually did make some posts on some of those days (when the thread was active) - I think I started that Meme thread with a question relating to Dawkins.

Sorry to mislead, I didn't realize that I was wrong about not coming to this site during the span of time that thread was active.

-Dennis

I am a very slow reader and I don't read through very many threads anymore.

I have been asking a lot of questions myself - about fundamental things - I am trying to be willing to listen to many of the regular posters here.

I still don't agree with most of the "ex-"s - but I have hung around for quite a while now.

-Dennis

I saw you at Mythra's "Bible errors, problems, and quirks, " thread. You do read threads that are challenging to your beliefs. Food for thought even if you don't post in those threads very often. ;)

I am a slow reader,(short attention span), as well and I don't give a damn. I do what I have time for. hehe.

Guest FreestyleFred
Fred, if you are still single, and if you have a lot of time you can invest here, I would be very happy to see you read through all of the threads and respond whenever you feel a response is needed!!!

lol, I am not single and I also have a full time job, lol. I will post as much as possible though, I have been able to post quite a bit today because I have the weekends off and such, my posts will probably be much more seldom throughout the week...

I saw you at Mythra's "Bible errors, problems, and quirks, " thread. You do read threads that are challenging to your beliefs. Food for thought even if you don't post in those threads very often. ;)

I am a slow reader,(short attention span), as well and I don't give a damn. I do what I have time for. hehe.

Yeah,

dogmatically_challenged, I haven't even finished reading through the first page yet (of that whopping 2 paged thread).

Actually - I was just about to go look through the testimonies area to see if I can find one for HanSolo. I read something earlier today where Madame M was referring to hard times Han has experienced (at least that is the way I interpreted what I read) - but I haven't been reading in Testimonies for a long time now - and I don't really know much at all about hardly any of the relatively "newer" posters.

My Bad.

-Dennis

P.S.

(Also, I can't seem to stay concentrating on one thing for very long. I suppose I should finish reading through that thread that I missed earlier - the one about Bible descrepencies - before I go search through the Testimonies area).

Yeah,

dogmatically_challenged, I haven't even finished reading through the first page yet (of that whopping 2 paged thread).

Actually - I was just about to go look through the testimonies area to see if I can find one for HanSolo.  I read something earlier today where Madame M was referring to hard times Han has experienced (at least that is the way I interpreted what I read) - but I haven't been reading in Testimonies for a long time now - and I don't really know much at all about hardly any of the relatively "newer" posters.

My Bad.

-Dennis

P.S.

(Also, I can't seem to stay concentrating on one thing for very long.  I suppose I should finish reading through that thread that I missed earlier - the one about Bible descrepencies - before I go search through the Testimonies area).

To save you on typing just type d-c instead of dogmatically_challenged. (I hate typing my full nick out, so I don't expect others to. hehe.)

Wow - amazing how I missed t that other thread -- I just did a search and found that I actually did make some posts on some of those days (when the thread was active) - I think I started that Meme thread with a question relating to Dawkins.

Sorry to mislead, I didn't realize that I was wrong about not coming to this site during the span of time that thread was active.

-Dennis

Because of you talk about meme, I got a book about it,

The Meme Machine, by Susan Blackmore.

One of the books I'll read on my flight next month...

lol, I am not single and I also have a full time job, lol. I will post as much as possible though, I have been able to post quite a bit today because I have the weekends off and such, my posts will probably be much more seldom throughout the week...

So we'll debate you during the weekends, and talk behind your back during the weekdays... Just kidding! :grin:

Yeah,

Actually - I was just about to go look through the testimonies area to see if I can find one for HanSolo.  I read something earlier today where Madame M was referring to hard times Han has experienced (at least that is the way I interpreted what I read) - but I haven't been reading in Testimonies for a long time now - and I don't really know much at all about hardly any of the relatively "newer" posters.

My Bad.

-Dennis

P.S.

(Also, I can't seem to stay concentrating on one thing for very long.  I suppose I should finish reading through that thread that I missed earlier - the one about Bible descrepencies - before I go search through the Testimonies area).

I haven't written one yet. I've spilled some background here and there, because I haven't talked much with other people about the accident etc in quite a while, and with this website I have started to sort through emotions and thoughts, which has been really exciting and liberating. I will eventually make a full post, but it will be extremely abreviated since there's so much to tell. That's the other reason why I haven't, because I'm not sure how much or how little to write.

Hans, I would like to learn more about your experience - maybe it would do you good to write about it?

But if you are not ready for that, I can certainly understand.

Well I finally finished reading through that other tread about Bible Descrepencies - now I see why I don't remember seeing it - it was not posted in this Discussion area - and I very seldom have read much in any of the other areas - since this new version of the Forum started anyway.

-Dennis