Goodbye Jesus

Bi-polar And Ex-christianity

gabby

I wanted to start this thread to get some perspective from ppl with bi-polar disorder and I'd like to hear whether deconversion has helped you to better deal with your manic episodes.

A little about my situation...I have bi-polar spectrum disorder but instead of cycling once every few months, I have rapid cycles every few days. Since I have started on the road to de-conversion I feel like it has really helped me to rein in my manic episodes. For instance, a lot of my freak outs have to do with irrational fears that I am going to be punished by god for "leaving the flock" or I get tormented by random scriptures popping into my head. Reading these forums has given me a lot of ammunition against the stupid x-tian tapes in my head but it is still a daily struggle. Does anyone else here have this disorder and, if so, does x-tain dogma play a role in egging on your manic episodes?

Hey Gabby, I have manic-depression. But I left Christianity behind when I was roughly 16 or 17 years old and was diagnosed with manic-depression when I was about 20. So the myths of Christianity never played a significant role in it. I haven’t had a noticeable cycle in several years now however. At the age of 35 I’ve finally found ways to handle the thing and become stable. I was/am what they have called a rapid cycler, with a time of about a month from peak to peak of my manic episodes.

I am sorry that you have to deal with this Gabby. I hope you find a set of methods for clamping the thing down. I sometimes miss the mania. When I am manic I feel great. I am more energetic and creative. But I don’t miss the depression at all. And I am pretty certain that my friends and family don’t miss any of it.

My kid is bipolar and cycles everyday--it seems, when he gets depressed, it lasts for weeks and when he is euphoric, that could last several days. The depression is more overwhelming than his up-time. He is currently taking Abilify. First he was diagnosed as ADHA but we had him reevaluated recently because of continued troubles at school. My wife and I did respite care for disabled kids and adults and we saw bipolar written all over his behaviours and took him to see the psych. He's 15. He knows what is fiction and what is not and is not concerned about the christian religion. At first the religion played a role in our lives but we left the church early on so that was not a problem for him. For him the depression is from going to school and not being able to keep up with his class. He was set back twice. He has an IQ of 120 but cannot concentrate enough to handle nine classes in school. His teachers are working to come up with a way for him to succeed and keep up with his classmates without being left behind or increasing his depression. It might take a curriculum change or go half a day. We have had to move several times until a few years ago when we bought our house and now we have permanent roots growing. Some schools he was in could not handle ADHA kids let alone bipolar ones. Teachers are really not geared for special ed kids in their classes if the special ed kid takes more work than the 'normal' ones.

Xtians are ready to accuse people with mental illnesses as having unsolved sins in their lives. Apparently if you are right with Jesus, you won't have a mental illness ... In some christian counseling texts, depression or mental illness is counseled by explaining sin causes depression and the more unresolved sin in your life, the worse the depression and mental illness. The sin is caused by bad behaviour which to christians means a person will always suffer as long as their life is not right with Jesus. They don't offer medication, they offer prayer and work--apparently you can work off the mental illness. Think happy thoughts about Jesus and all he has done for you and you will be healed. Well, hallefuckingluiah!

Xtians are ready to accuse people with mental illnesses as having unsolved sins in their lives. Apparently if you are right with Jesus, you won't have a mental illness ... In some christian counseling texts, depression or mental illness is counseled by explaining sin causes depression and the more unresolved sin in your life, the worse the depression and mental illness.

One of the most singularly damaging things about christianity, as far as I'm concerned.

I haven’t had a noticeable cycle in several years now however. At the age of 35 I’ve finally found ways to handle the thing and become stable.

Thanks for sharing this, Legion...it is really encouraging to hear that you have beat the "cycle beast" and it gives me hope that someday I might be able to reach a point of stability in my own life. I'm trying out some new meds and fighting back by trying to recognize my cycles and fighting the thoughts so I feel like I am on the right track...thanks again.

Hey, Heretic...it sounds like you have a really bright kid and he is lucky to have parents who care and a correct diagnosis.

I had a horrible time in high school trying to focus and keep up with my class work, but once I went to college and was able to choose my own classes and schedule, it really helped me to chill out and focus on my studies. I don't know if you have one in your town, but I went to an alternative high school for my senior year and it took away a lot of the pressure. I think that high schools today seem to be really piling it on...I mean, 9 classes is a huge amount of work for anyone, not to mention social pressure.

I hope you can find a school with some flexibility so your son can use his great mind without unnecessary stress. Best of luck to you and thanks for sharing your experience. :)

I hope you can find a school with some flexibility so your son can use his great mind without unnecessary stress. Best of luck to you and thanks for sharing your experience. :)

He is in what passes for alternative schooling in this town. He is getting the best that he can get for where we are, if that helps? He is in the regular school system.

Guest ChristNoMore

My wife suffers from bi-polar, and I think it's what actually caused her to join the fundamentalist gang. She found some meds that generally work, but her life is almost completely immersed in Christianity, such that she has a lot to lose by leaving her church. Almost all of her friends and her social identity are there. I'm in the process of trying to deprogram her, and along with that big bridge to cross, I think the bi-polar is a mental block for her de-conversion.

My deconversion caused a total psychotic breakdown. Goes to show you how healthy religion is when you come to find out its total fucking lie.