Goodbye Jesus

Aaaaagh!

Guest Gaia

I've given up trying to reason with someone who posts "One True Faith" videos on YouTube!!! :

deuspraisaer

So does this mean that the only way to get to heaven is sacrificing everything? I don't want to be a priest, what do I do?

SaintMichaelsMedia

If you are not "called" to the priesthood, then you shouldn't be a priest. Most people in Heaven won't be priests. But we must all - as Jesus says - "take up your cross and follow Me". This means that we must deny ourselves in the way the world offers.

deuspraiser

o ok thanks

(ME) mimosa27

"deny ourselves in the way the world offers?" Sorry, but what are you talking about?

SaintMichaelsMedia

This means that we must reject the temptations of the world which lead us away from following Christ correctly; the temptations to sin will lead us away from Him. And, often, that is difficult and it hurts.

mimosa27

Of course it hurts. That is like going against humanity itself. What kind of temptations do you mean? Great food? Bodily pleasures? Aesthetic beauty? The desire to be successful?

SaintMichaelsMedia

>> That is like going against humanity itself.

It is certainly going against humanity's fallen nature.

>> What kind of temptations do you mean? Great food? Bodily pleasures? Aesthetic beauty? The desire to be successful?

Yes, yes, yes and yes :) But not just that. Any pleasure or temptation which is opposed to Christ is to be avoided, as otherwise it damages the life of Christ in us. Generally speaking, it is selfishness which is at the core of all sins.

----

That's it - I stopped trying because there is NO USE!! How brainwashed can we be?!?!?

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Way to suck all the marrow out of life! No wonder so many people love Jebus when it means that they get to eat gruel, not touch another person, not look at or create beauty...

All you get is Jebus, 24hrs, 7 days, forever! Glory!

I have similar scraps on youtube all the time. My language usually goes with my patience!

I am VDGG94ki btw, VDGG = Van Der Graaf Generator, my favorite band.

VDGG94ki

I disagree with what you are saying. God bears many hallmarks of a human invention, and perhaps you forget that EVERYTHING ever said about God came from a human mouth.

msw541

I do not want to start an argument with you. Not matter what you say my faith remains the same, i believe in God, and his son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. You believe what you believe and I believe what I believe. I will pray that you change you ways, and accept Jesus Christ in to your soul.

P.S. God is real, there is so much proof of it! All you have to do is step outside, and BAM there is proof. He created this world. Thats all the proof you need.

VDGG94ki

If you don't want to start an argument, show some humility and don't end your post with all that "God is real, there is so much proof" nonesense. Give me a reasoned argument, not just this ridiculously illogical rubbish. You do not know that god created the earth, you think he did, probably because your parents did, and you were told this from an early age.

msw541

Okay, I have humility, so lets not go there. You are correct, there is no "scientifical" proof that God is real. Thats why its called a FAITH you believe without proof. I believe that God is real. I know he created the earth, and all of its inhabitants.

You can sit there and respond with some of your "rubbish" and deny his existence, but believe me. God is real and he is AMAZING! He performs miracles ALL the time.

VDGG94ki

SO if you have "faith" and nothing more, don't blindly contradict yourself by saying "he performs miracles". What miracles? I don't see any that couldn't be attributed to anything else.

Typical, a mix of "I don't want to get into an argument" and "I pray that your soul be saved".

Guest eejay

For all us sinners out here in the world, it's amazing that x-tians have the time to do anything but pray for us????

Yeah, I hate how Christianity tries to suck all the enjoyment out of life. As if every time we enjoy doing something, we *must* feel guilty. Gah!

Yeah, I hate how Christianity tries to suck all the enjoyment out of life. As if every time we enjoy doing something, we *must* feel guilty. Gah!

Well, they are made to feel guilty until their wallets have taken a good milking.

Oh good goddess and all that's green... it's like arguing with monkeys.

That's an insult to monkeys!

I don't bother arguing with them anymore, just laugh behind their backs.

Guest Zenobia
Oh good goddess and all that's green... it's like arguing with monkeys.

That's an insult to monkeys!

LOL. OK, my apoloogies to the monkeys. Sorry for comparing you to clueless crusading conservative fundy f*cktards!

If you ever want to really confuse a xtian..

Talk history.

Seriously.

I have had many conversations with xtians about history. I head straight back to old abraham; little man from Ur whose dad made statues of the local gods.. it is said he united the tribes of isreal..ok, i'm good with that despite the lack of archeological evidence or anything remotely resembling proof, but what about before that? The widely known Vinca culture left huge numbers of artifacts; macedonia was part of its territory and yet there is not a single mention of the xtian god there.

There are massive amounts of religious symbols and artifacts from the copper, microlithic, neolithic and mesolithic societies all over the old world continents from ancient cultures and not a single one of them have the xtian god.

Other religions are well documented, in particular mother-goddess abound from asia minor, the russian steppes to the mesopotamian valley but nowhere do we find evidence of this xtian god. Its like it suddenly made a leap into the beliefs of a bunch of settling nomads but it has no distinct origin.

Historically god did not exist before the bronze age. So how could something that did not exist before the bronze age have anything to do with the scietific processess that created the universe?

What is the point of trying to argue with Christians? What does anyone hope to gain from attempting to use reason and logic against faith and belief?

What is the point of trying to argue with Christians? What does anyone hope to gain from attempting to use reason and logic against faith and belief?

Wonderer, you're right — in most instances, it's an exercise in futility. However, every once in a while, you plant seeds of doubt/reason which sprout into apostasy and eventually, to freedom from the lies of Christianity.

Most of us posting on this forum were once Christians. Sharing your views with someone who is wavering can help them take the next step and leave the b.s. once and for all.

Wonderer, you're right — in most instances, it's an exercise in futility. However, every once in a while, you plant seeds of doubt/reason which sprout into apostasy and eventually, to freedom from the lies of Christianity.

Most of us posting on this forum were once Christians. Sharing your views with someone who is wavering can help them take the next step and leave the b.s. once and for all.

No offense, but I think that's wishful thinking, if you're talking about "Christian warriors" who come to websites like this one to train. From where I sit, we can help people who are struggling to get free, but we aren't going to change anyone's mind with our rapier-like intellectual arguments. Of course, I could be wrong. Are there any "de-converts" who frequent these forums who were convinced with logic and reason to leave Christianity?

No offense, but I think that's wishful thinking, if you're talking about "Christian warriors" who come to websites like this one to train. From where I sit, we can help people who are struggling to get free, but we aren't going to change anyone's mind with our rapier-like intellectual arguments. Of course, I could be wrong. Are there any "de-converts" who frequent these forums who were convinced with logic and reason to leave Christianity?

Wonderer, you're probably right. Nothing on a website would have changed my mind, but it might have planted a small seed. It took me really studying the Bible to convince me the whole religion of Christianity is bogus. I'd say the vast majority of Christians don't want to really think about their beliefs that much. They're content to go through the motions.

As for the Christian warrior types, I was once somewhat in that frame. Although I didn't go on websites looking for e-battles. But if I was approached by a Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, etc. I went into overdrive counterarguing with them, to the point where they walked away and I was following them down the street, preaching. :HaHa:

Anyway, just as Christians are not going to convince many of us via the Internet, we likely won't make a dent in their beliefs.

But it does feel good to be able to express yourself and know that they can't respond by burning us at the stake or inflicting the pain of the Inquistion on us!

In the past, most freethinkers had to keep quiet or risk being beaten or killed.

I dare say that youtube isn't the hangout of the most intelligent of any faith. I've seen a lot of angry muslims on there, a lot of angry christians and a LOT of flawed arguments. I would suggest personally not to engage these simpletons wth their unshifting beliefs, because that is mainly what is keeping them sane and simple. Yes they are exploited to hell by other christians.

As once stated by a (former) member of these very forums:

"Christianty: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere is having a good time."

What also gets me is the obverse reality: how could an atheist or some other freethinker go over to the dark side? Are they just all-around simpletons or are they people who need the spiritual "hope and comfort" that Christianity can provide?

This has always puzzled me to a great degree. Lately, I have to come believe that the body chemistry of the individual has something to do with it.

What also gets me is the obverse reality: how could an atheist or some other freethinker go over to the dark side? Are they just all-around simpletons or are they people who need the spiritual "hope and comfort" that Christianity can provide?

This has always puzzled me to a great degree. Lately, I have to come believe that the body chemistry of the individual has something to do with it.

Lately, I have to come believe that the body chemistry of the individual has something to do with it.

I would tend to agree with that sentiment...

I can agree that it is wishful thinking to believe you will change the mind of the asshat posting but there are many people reading the debate that will sniff out the difference and see that the fundy is a wack job.

Mongo

How would a Christian reply to this argument: If every single person in the world devoted their life wholly to Christ and abandoned all other pursuits, civilization and the progress of mankind would completely come to a halt. There would be no Shakespeare for example, who devoted his heart and soul to poetry, sensuality, and the arts (Hey, he refused to mention religion at all, so presumably he wasn't saved by Christ. I guess everything he contributed to mankind means absolutely nothing, because he's burning in hell right now, right??)