Goodbye Jesus

I Need Some Help

Yaoi Huntress Earth

You see one of the characters (Aaron) in a story of mine is being harrassed by some fundy\moralist kids in his high school because they think he's gay. I'm wondering if any of you could give some advice and\or share experiences you've faced so I can make this realistic. Were more of the bullies fundies or just homophobic meatheads who were insecure in their masculinity? Did you get more preaching or threats? Thanks in advance.

If you want to avouid teen-fiction cliche (however resonant with reality it might be) you might actually want to introduce the more insidious kind of fundy; one who befriends the victim under a guise of tolerance and understanding, but attempts to subtly manipulate his or her perceptions using their "friendship" as a lever.

There's always the closet homosexual homophobe. They tend to be the most agressive in their hatred (of themselves that is...)

I do like the idea of the sneaky fundy though...if it was written right so you don't realize that's what happening right away...

If you want to avouid teen-fiction cliche (however resonant with reality it might be) you might actually want to introduce the more insidious kind of fundy; one who befriends the victim under a guise of tolerance and understanding, but attempts to subtly manipulate his or her perceptions using their "friendship" as a lever.

Sounds good. Aaron could just put up with the fundy kid's "friendship" as a way to prove that he is not gay by getting them to see that the rumors are fake and it almost works until the fundy comes across his notebook journal with entry where he wonders what it would be like to suck a cock (Aaron is pretty much closet bi-curious). Religion (as well as sexuality) is a poplar theme of mine for both good and bad (like being a liberal Chrisitan in a fundy setting.) Thanks for the help.

Glad to be of service. I think this sounds like quite an ambitious piece, psychologically speaking, especially if you want to explore what drives the Christians themselves to be so vicious in reinforcing their faith and ridiculing those who do not adhere to it. The primary difficulty I can foresee lies in the basic humanity of the story's "Christian" characters. It is going to be very difficult, but necessary to invest them with enough complexity to make them more than icons of hate and vitriol, but I suppose that could be tackled by using a particular narrative structure. Anyway, good luck!

There's always the closet homosexual homophobe.  They tend to be the most agressive in their hatred (of themselves that is...)

That could be an interesting angle. Do you know of any good sites or testimones of these kinds of incidents?

The primary difficulty I can foresee lies in the basic humanity of the story's "Christian" characters. It is going to be very difficult, but necessary to invest them with enough complexity to make them more than icons of hate and vitriol, but I suppose that could be tackled by using a particular narrative structure. Anyway, good luck!

Or you could go with the angle that deep-down that the fundy kid isn't so bad and is generally a very sweet person, but it's his\her parents and church that are manipulating the poor kid with fear and implying how they're a bad person if they don't follow a certain set of rules.

I've written bisexuals in comic stories before but never dramatic ones.

Well, my advice is, maybe you can write the bully of Aaron as a misguided fundy who believe myths about gay/ bisexuals and want to save him and secretly yearn for him but the Church discourage him from loving Aaron.

What do you think?

Well, my advice is, maybe you can write the bully of Aaron as a misguided fundy who believe myths about gay/ bisexuals and want to save him and secretly yearn for him but the Church discourage him from loving Aaron.

It's an interesting concept. There's a large occult theme so it should get really interesting. Thanks for everyone's help.

Hi.

Trust me, it doesn't matter to the abused what view or motivation your 'bullies' take in your story.

A bully is a bully, be it a bully in Hell, a bully in Heaven, or a bully in school.

They all come from the same sewer, and their motives are always the same.

The same would apply even if you write from the bullies perspective.