Goodbye Jesus

Need Help - Beginner Wants To Study The Buddhist Sutras

L.B.

I am beginning to follow the Way of the Buddha and I keep hearing references to the sutras. I am familiar with the names of a few of them, such as the diamond and heart sutras, but I have never read more than a line or two. I need help finding a good set of all the pertinent sutras that would aid in deepening an understanding of the Buddha's teachings. I am prepared to spend some amount of $$ if necessary; a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Hey L.B.

"Pertinent" is a rather relative word in respect to the sutras since Buddhism isn't a scripture based religion (if one can truly describe it as a religion). Each sect focuses on a different set of ideas and uses texts that elaborate on those ideas.

Were you going to focus on a particular style (Mahayana, Theraveda, Vajrayana, Zen) or are you looking for a more eclectic list?

R

I like the Diamond Sutra and so I have three translations:

The Diamond that Cuts Through Illusion by Thich Nhat Hanh

The Diamond Sutra and The Sutra of Hui-Neng translated by A.F. Price & Wong Mou-lam. Two sutras in one book. The Sutra of Hui-Neng is also known as The Platform Sutra.

The Diamond Sutra translated by Red Pine - this is my favorite. It has an extensive commentary that is quite helpful.

I bought the last two books online from Amazon and the first at a local New Age bookstore. If not on Amazon, look on Alibris.

I also have:

The Heart Sutra - by Red Pine

The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way Nagarjuna's Mulamadhyamakakarika. I just got this and have not read much of it. It is highly philosophical and I am finding it a slow, tough read. From Amazon.

I hope this helps.

I am going to seize this opportunity to speak to the Rev.

Rev what should be my aims as a beginner in meditation and mindfulness?

Rev. R and others,

I have taken many opinion polls and quizzes online and so forth, and feel that Mahayana Buddhism is closest to what I believe about things like an "afterlife" (if I may use such a term) etc. Zen, however, with its emphasis on practical daily endeavors like zazen and other practice (I am a beginner at shakuhachi and have been a student of traditional goju-ryu karate) appeals to my more "humanist side", if I may. I guess a good analogy would be to say I would fall somewhere between the stark silences and meditations of Zen and the more "mystical-ish" Mahayana and Chinese-influenced paths. I guess the truth is that while Zen appeals to me the most, I still get a bit of a charge from watching my old Shaw Brothers gungfu movies with all the robes and beads at Shaolin.

Whatever is more useful to the dedicated Zen practitioner would be best, I suppose. The kind of person I am tells me that my daily practice and overall lifestly will probably be as monastic as a non-monastic practitioner can be.

Peace,

L.B.

P.S. I second Legion's question. I would love to know that as well. Thank you in advance.

I am going to seize this opportunity to speak to the Rev.

Rev what should be my aims as a beginner in meditation and mindfulness?

Hey Legion,

I'd say the aim of a beginner is to develop a solid practice schedule and integrate your training into daily life. Many teachers advocate sitting zazen twice daily, but I think you can get away with formal sitting once daily(about 20-30 minutes). As for mindfulness training outside of formal meditation, you can practice this at any time or all the time. Everything you do, when done with focus is mindfulness training. For example, washing the dishes, focus only on washing the dishes. Don't let your mind wander to what is for dinner, or what you have to do at work the next day, or even when you'll be done washing the dishes, just wash the dishes. This can be applied to any activity.

L.B.,

I have taken many opinion polls and quizzes online and so forth, and feel that Mahayana Buddhism is closest to what I believe about things like an "afterlife" (if I may use such a term) etc. Zen, however, with its emphasis on practical daily endeavors like zazen and other practice (I am a beginner at shakuhachi and have been a student of traditional goju-ryu karate) appeals to my more "humanist side", if I may. I guess a good analogy would be to say I would fall somewhere between the stark silences and meditations of Zen and the more "mystical-ish" Mahayana and Chinese-influenced paths. I guess the truth is that while Zen appeals to me the most, I still get a bit of a charge from watching my old Shaw Brothers gungfu movies with all the robes and beads at Shaolin.

Whatever is more useful to the dedicated Zen practitioner would be best, I suppose. The kind of person I am tells me that my daily practice and overall lifestly will probably be as monastic as a non-monastic practitioner can be.

You might be pleased to know that the Shaolin order do/did practice Zen. Interestingly a lot of Master Po's teachings from the "Kung Fu" TV series are actually Taoist in origin.

Since you are interested in a humanist Zen perspective this is my suggested reading list:

The Zen Teachings of Bodhidharma translated by Red Pine

Here

The Platform Sutra of Hui Neng

Here

The Lankavatara Sutra...Bodhidharma based Zen on this sutra

Here

The Heart Sutra

Here

The Kalamas Sutra

Here

The Metta Sutra

Here

The Dhammapada

Here

Genjokoan by Dogen Zenji

Here

This should be a good starting list, Deva's selections are good too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LoveAll

Greetings,

After looking around this site & posting a few times, I saw this Forum. If I may introduce myself, I am a person who began studying Buddhism in the early 1990's.

I have been practicing in the Soto Zen Buddhist tradition for about ten years, until a couple years ago. Now I still do the same daily sitting medtation practice, study Sutra's, etc. Currently, I simply do not call myself a formal "Buddhist" anymore, which I did for years, but I am just as dedicated to the practice of the Buddha's Teachings.

In the late 1990's I spent some time living as a volunteer in a non-denominational Buddhist Meditation Retreat Center. There I was able to do Retreats with various Buddhist Traditions; Theravadan, Tibetan, Zen, and a couple that were just more generic "sitting" Retreats. About 4 years ago, I spent a month in Residence in a Zen Buddhist Monastery in upstate New York. It was a chance to practice in person with my Zen Teacher whom I had been working with long-distance for about ten years, writing letters, e-mails, phone calls. After I left the Monastery I published my first book "Gilding the Lily" (Amazon.com) a collection of various aspects of my life & practicing with Buddhism. Have written a second book but am seeking a better Publisher this time!

Anyway, if you are interested in talking to me, I would be happy to help anyway I can.

Please take good care of yourself.

Doug

Hey there Doug,

Amazon seems to be out of stock on your book. Do you think it could be ordered directly from the publisher?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/141...3331&sr=1-4

I do have a question if you don't mind too much. Which Soto-shu lineage did you train under?

It's not really important, just curious.

Greetings,

After looking around this site & posting a few times, I saw this Forum. If I may introduce myself, I am a person who began studying Buddhism in the early 1990's.

I have been practicing in the Soto Zen Buddhist tradition for about ten years, until a couple years ago. Now I still do the same daily sitting medtation practice, study Sutra's, etc. Currently, I simply do not call myself a formal "Buddhist" anymore, which I did for years, but I am just as dedicated to the practice of the Buddha's Teachings.

In the late 1990's I spent some time living as a volunteer in a non-denominational Buddhist Meditation Retreat Center. There I was able to do Retreats with various Buddhist Traditions; Theravadan, Tibetan, Zen, and a couple that were just more generic "sitting" Retreats. About 4 years ago, I spent a month in Residence in a Zen Buddhist Monastery in upstate New York. It was a chance to practice in person with my Zen Teacher whom I had been working with long-distance for about ten years, writing letters, e-mails, phone calls. After I left the Monastery I published my first book "Gilding the Lily" (Amazon.com) a collection of various aspects of my life & practicing with Buddhism. Have written a second book but am seeking a better Publisher this time!

Anyway, if you are interested in talking to me, I would be happy to help anyway I can.

Doug

Daido Roshi's mosh pit crew?

Guest LoveAll
Greetings,

Doug

Daido Roshi's mosh pit crew?

Thats an interesting way of describing Zen Mountain Monastery's, Abbot, :) but yeah, one and the same. Geoffrey Shugen Sensie has been my Dharma Guide for many years.

Been podacasting them for the past couple of years... they produce excellent coffee too... GSS is another favourite listen.

I have the feeling the Roshi was a bit of a boy in his day... anyone who kept landing solitary at GITMO was wild...

Guest LoveAll
Hey there Doug,

Amazon seems to be out of stock on your book. Do you think it could be ordered directly from the publisher?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/141...3331&sr=1-4

I do have a question if you don't mind too much. Which Soto-shu lineage did you train under?

It's not really important, just curious.

Thank you for the info. What you said about Amazon says a lot, they are having some kind of "battle" with my book publisher, Publish America. I don't know if you know anything about this Publisher or not, but it was a huge mistake choosing them. Yes, you can order from their website, in fact, they recently sent me an e-mail saying that they are running a 50% off sale on books ordered directly from them. PublishAmerica.com

As far as lineage, Zen Mountain Monastery, of which John Daido Roshi is the Abbot is where I am most "connected." I used to be up on this stuff more, however I think it is the Yasutani & Harada Roshi linage. One of his Dharma Heirs, Geoffrey Shugen Arnold has been a Mentor, Dharma Teacher & spiritual friend for about 12 or 13 years now, I still am in touch with him now & then.

Anyway, pleased to make your acquaintance.

Doug