Goodbye Jesus

Black Atheists

Guest Freepagan

I recently found the music of Greydon Square. He's an atheist rapper; I used to despise rap, but his stuff in particular is growing on me. I particularly like "Say" and "Squared".

http://www.youtube.com/user/greydonsquare

I recently found the music of Greydon Square. He's an atheist rapper; I used to despise rap, but his stuff in particular is growing on me. I particularly like "Say" and "Squared".

nice

Guest proud agnostic

Where I live I don't see too many black atheist. It's kind of weird to here black atheist, I guess in some black peoples mind that's sort of an oxymoron to be atheist. I have heard some blacks say that only whites are atheist because blacks are looked at as a spiritual people and whites are not. So when some black people here of a white person being an atheist it's almost to be expected, but when it comes from a black person it's confusing. I'm a black woman that's agnostic I get the eyebrow raise from people sometime.

• 1 month later...

Greydon rocks! Just got done listening to a ton of his youtube videos...good lyrics for sure. He sounds kind of like Will Smith to me..not the lyrics but his voice. Pretty cool!

Big Greydon fan, here. Found him by accident on YouTube.

I forgot to add this...

In addition to black atheists, there are Native American atheists as well. There are more Christians than atheist on the rez out here, but I've have some of my student admit to me that they are atheists. Like African Americans, the white man is to blame for their 'conversion' to Christianity and jus through the sheer passage of time and cultural assimilation, they've lost most of their 'old ways'. Most folks know nothing else besides Christianity. The racism of the religion is clear. When the choices are assimilate or exterminate, which one would you choose?

It's fucking sick and I'm glad I left that fucking thought trap.

I used to despise rap, but his stuff in particular is growing on me. I particularly like "Say" and "Squared".

Thats because rap is a perfectly decent form of music, and actually one of the best forms for conveying a message to those who listen to it. Problem is 99 % of the shit that comes out mainstream happens to have ape minded shit for lyrics. Alot of lesser known Indie rappers are actually pretty good.

Thanks for the tip on Greydon Square. Nice stuff.

• 7 months later...

I dug up this thread in case anyone's interested. Ralph Dumain has been online for about ten years. I don't really know his ethnic background but in today's entry on Reason and Society he writes about black atheists and reviews a few.