Goodbye Jesus

Confession

Guest Gaia

Since I'm breaking away from the Christian religion, I feel as if though I have a right to rant and slander Christians.

But in the back of my mind there looms a shadow of guilt.

During a very hard, isolated time in my life, it was the Christians who helped me. Back then I lived in a town in Florida, and I instinctively reached out for help in churches and among religious folk, because they were they only ones who would care. I was going through Ptsd and through a church I found a therapist. The same church was the only one which held various support groups as well. I didn't have many friends back then, so I made them the same way. I didn't care about studying the Bible, but Bible study groups were ideal gathering places of caring and <seemingly> unbiased people. Through my father's work, I found wonderful and kind Catholics who enriched my life and everyone else's (they paid for my therapy and provided all kinds of support)

I feel like I should be more grateful than I am right now.

I don't know if this is because <unfortunately> community and acceptance seems to be synonymous with churches and Christians. If our society expanded these things to other places and people, it would be easier to not have to interact with only one type of people.

I know that if I wasn't an Ex-Christian right now, I'd be going to the nearest church for comfort and solace. *sigh*

I don't know if this is because <unfortunately> community and acceptance seems to be synonymous with churches and Christians. If our society expanded these things to other places and people, it would be easier to not have to interact with only one type of people.

I know that if I wasn't an Ex-Christian right now, I'd be going to the nearest church for comfort and solace. *sigh*

Well, when you call it slander, yes, it makes sense that you feel guilty. Religion aside, you're perpetuating negativity, and that will never make you feel good. So yes, you should be more grateful and forgiving (because it's once you're free of tyranny that you are truly free to do righteous acts like this). That's not to say that you can't recognize the pain & distress that they caused you, and continue to cause you. Though being spiteful of it merely brings on more pain.

You don't have to go to church for solace now. You can come here. :)

• Super Moderator

There certainly are some good, helpful Christians. Unfortunately they buy into a destructive cult. Remember that Christians always have an agenda. For all the good they may do, they do it primarily to recruit and hold members. That is always the underlying motivation.

- Chris

Since I'm breaking away from the Christian religion, I feel as if though I have a right to rant and slander Christians.

But in the back of my mind there looms a shadow of guilt.

Are you sure "slander" is the word you want?

slan·der

–noun

1. defamation; calumny: rumors full of slander.

2. a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report: a slander against his good name.

3. Law. defamation by oral utterance rather than by writing, pictures, etc.

–verb (used with object)

4. to utter slander against; defame.

–verb (used without object)

5. to utter or circulate slander.

If you just want to tell lies with the intent to hurt xians, then yes, you should feel guilty.

If, on the other hand, you want to tell of your experiences, or even simply your opinions, about xians and their religion...to rant...then that's just fine. That's what this place is all about. If xians come here and get hurt, well, that's not our problem. That's like being at the butt of some other abusive relationship and then worrying that a similar abuser will happen by a be upset by what you say. Tough shit for them. But if you're just going to lie about it all (slander) then we may have a problem (I feel that may have just been a poor choice of words on your part though).

Anyhow, let's say you are the victim of a pedophile. But this person (or group) bought you a car. And they introduced you to some other very nice kids over the years (while swapping you around amongst the group). I suppose you should only appreciate the "good" they did and feel guilty when you feel like speaking out about the bad? No! I don't care if they put you through college and you're a Ph.D. now and without them you'd be on the streets. How does that justify it all? You have every right to re-examine YOUR life at any time and speak out on these things. The xians may have been there for you but at what cost? It seems you may not think the deal fair after all.

mwc

Chris is right - the church is an abomination. It has completely subverted the intention of Christ and betrays its own people to ruin and destruction - don't feel bad about slandering it. The people in it are a different matter; they are all victims. In this case truth is not slander and you did the right thing leaving it.

Human beings can be humane and caring, no matter what their religious views may be. What you are describing that you needed (and still need) is friendship. Be careful about confusing humanity and friendship with religion - they are only coincidentally related.

Slander the religion, the cult, the mindset and not the people themselves...

...unless the people themselves are arrogant, insulting, sonsofbitches and slander you for leaving the flock. At that point tear a strip off the bastards.

Slander the religion, the cult, the mindset and not the people themselves...

...unless the people themselves are arrogant, insulting, sonsofbitches and slander you for leaving the flock. At that point tear a strip off the bastards.

Absofuckinglutely true. The dogma itself is always crap, yet there are more than a few people out there who manage to be kind and gentle and respectful despite that. I say bitchslap the arrogant ones as long as you want, but give those who actually behave a little bit like they all claim to behave a respectful nod. :)

• 3 weeks later...

You don't have to agree with people in order to respect them. I looked at the website you provided and I'd like to point out that people tend to view god in their own image, not the other way around. From what you have said, they are just as concerned for people as their website states. As someone who lives in Florida, I would have to say that it's not so much that it's the Christians who are helping people, but that the majority of the people here ARE Christians. Seriously, you can't throw a stick and not hit a Christian. Yes, I can relate. The only people here who have been accepting and embracing of me have been Christians. I basically have two choices. I can isolate myself and be anti-social or I can hang out with Christians who are more than happy to have me as part of their group.

Taph

By definition, weren't all of us here Christians at one point in time? Slandering (mocking, whatever) Christians today means you are mocking someone who may be here in a few weeks! The beliefs are the things that are laughable but all of us bought them (to some degree) at one point in time.

I totally get your guilt thing, though. I have the privilege of knowing many Christians who are truly caring people who are amazingly selfless and do so much for others. I don't see any other groups of people like that (except for those that help in extreme circumstances) around where I live, and I live in a city with one of the lowest percentages of Christians in North America. I don't see any secular groups like that coming into being either. A lot of people buy into the Christian line either because it gives them a place from which to help others, or because they are in need of help and there is nowhere else to go.

Slander involves falsehoods.

Truth is not slander.

Truth is a defense.

The burden of proof of slander is on the person bringing the suit.

I don't feel guilty about telling the truth. A delusion is still a delusion.

Good point heretic.

If we want to be absolutely fair, whenever a new morontheist pops up we may consider giving it one, let me repeat, ONE!, chance a la "Alright, maybe you really didn't know the following so far: *insert debunking of the jebus death cult dogma here*". If then the morontheist chooses to repeat its babble it proves it is, to quote one of their idols, "willfully ignorant - that means dumb on purpose". I don't know about you all, but I see no reason to have mercy with those who choose to be morons.

There certainly are some good, helpful Christians. Unfortunately they buy into a destructive cult. Remember that Christians always have an agenda. For all the good they may do, they do it primarily to recruit and hold members. That is always the underlying motivation.

- Chris

Christian organizations might always have an agenda but I'm not sure this is true of individual xians. It's the belief that is deplorable, but the believers come in all stripes; many of them quite sincere and loving. My parents are great examples of this. They are just genuinely good people who go out of their way to help others without any expectation or desire of a return and without any other motivation than they like other people.

I think the meme doesn't make people bad even if the meme itself is bad. OTH, the meme certainly doesn't make people good if they were not already predisposed that way.

By definition, weren't all of us here Christians at one point in time? Slandering (mocking, whatever) Christians today means you are mocking someone who may be here in a few weeks! The beliefs are the things that are laughable but all of us bought them (to some degree) at one point in time.

Well said. Every negative thing I say about Christians, I say about the person I used to be - and similarly when I tease them.

Maybe it should be a case of loving the Christian but hating the Christianity?