Goodbye Jesus

It's Ruling My Life!

Vendredie

Yes. It's ruling my life, completely out of my control now. My mom is going nuts over this. While there is some religious banter, this isn't so much about Xtianity as it is about...... acne.

If any MyRationalistSpacers have seen my picture, you might not notice I have very bad acne (possibly because of the lightning and that my camera doesn't have the best resolution). But I do, and I have to take some accutane-like stuff for it. you know, register online, bloodwork and pregnancy tests every month... fun. Especially since I keep passing out every time a doctor sticks a needle into me. I have a 30-day supply that has 1 week to be refilled.

Well, I was hoping to go to a creative writing camp in June, at UNC-Wilmington. It's a few hours away, but I'm 16 and besides I've been to Canada without my parents there, so it's not a problem. Right?

Well Mommy Dearest apparently thinks that I'm going to be around college kids and frat parties. eh..... no. I've done some research, the camp students never come into contact with college kids, except the counselors who are getting their Master's degrees. There's no issue of being on a college campus unsupervised. But there is another issue...

that the FOUR DAYS I'm staying there might fall during a refill week. So now I can't go to a creative writing camp that I really wanted to go to, because of stupid ugly red bumps on my face.

to "comfort" me my mom says "Well there's always next year... unless the Good Lord comes between now and then, but then we've got other things to worry about." Of course I'm silent at this point because I'm pissed that YET AGAIN my acne is controlling my life, and she says "you follow?" I shrugged, and of course she's not too pleased.

In my life, acne is more controlling than religion. it's turned into a disease. I can't go out in the sun because of the meds, my skin is insanely dry, I'm getting nosebleeds, now I can't do something I wanted to do because of my freaking acne. acne is to me as the Church was to the people of the Middle Ages.

And to comfort me, my mom is using Christianity.

[/uglyemoatheist]

Gah, when are these people going to realize that their religion is about as comforting as a cage of starving lions.

My sister had really bad acne, and eventually just gave up trying to control it. Mine usually isn't that bad, but occasionally I have moderate breakouts. The only thing I can say is don't let it get you too down. There will always be new experiences to make up for the ones you miss. Your mom isn't helping, though. If I believed in the "Good Lord," from what I've read about him, I wouldn't put it past him to make things even worse.

By the way, the best way to deal with nosebleeds is to use a wet, warm cloth, not tissues. ;)

So sorry you have to miss that camp all because of some stupid acne. I never had that problem but I know what it's like having to give up something I really, really want, and the only comfort anyone offers is that it's god's plan or whatever. A year is a long time to wait. Hoe you can find something really interesting to fill in the time. ((((hugs))))

The bad part is I might not find anything to fil in the time between the end of the year and band camp... except for some crappy job with a crappier boss. *does not like the idea of having a job, since around here that means crappy boss and more stress*

either that or I'm not doing anything over the summer other than band...

The bad part is I might not find anything to fil in the time between the end of the year and band camp... except for some crappy job with a crappier boss. *does not like the idea of having a job, since around here that means crappy boss and more stress*

There is always something positive, uplifting, and/or enjoyable you can fill the time with. It's merely a matter of you choosing to see the opportunities being given to you, or seeking out what it is you truly want to do. What holds most of us back is fear and doubt. And right now, it sounds like you're leaning heavily on the doubt.

Just because you can't go to camp, doesn't mean life is being harsh. It means that there is something else you are meant to do that is more important for your life right now. It's merely up to you to see what that is and embrace it fully.

There is always something positive, uplifting, and/or enjoyable you can fill the time with. It's merely a matter of you choosing to see the opportunities being given to you, or seeking out what it is you truly want to do. What holds most of us back is fear and doubt. And right now, it sounds like you're leaning heavily on the doubt.

Just because you can't go to camp, doesn't mean life is being harsh. It means that there is something else you are meant to do that is more important for your life right now. It's merely up to you to see what that is and embrace it fully.

I wouldn't lean so heavily on the doubt if I didn't live in Billy Bob Nowhere County, NC, where there is nothing to do during the summer. I could get a summer internship with the local newspaper, but what would I write about? Keep in mind that I won't get my lisence until June. and most of my friends live on the other side of the county, and one is moving to Colorado.

I really don't see what I'm meant to do, really, except sit around all summer.

You said that you wanted to go to a creative writing camp. Do you have a story in mind? If so, you could use your summer to work on it.

Yes. It's ruling my life, completely out of my control now. My mom is going nuts over this. While there is some religious banter, this isn't so much about Xtianity as it is about...... acne.

If any MyRationalistSpacers have seen my picture, you might not notice I have very bad acne (possibly because of the lightning and that my camera doesn't have the best resolution). But I do, and I have to take some accutane-like stuff for it. you know, register online, bloodwork and pregnancy tests every month... fun. Especially since I keep passing out every time a doctor sticks a needle into me. I have a 30-day supply that has 1 week to be refilled.

Well, I was hoping to go to a creative writing camp in June, at UNC-Wilmington. It's a few hours away, but I'm 16 and besides I've been to Canada without my parents there, so it's not a problem. Right?

Well Mommy Dearest apparently thinks that I'm going to be around college kids and frat parties. eh..... no. I've done some research, the camp students never come into contact with college kids, except the counselors who are getting their Master's degrees. There's no issue of being on a college campus unsupervised. But there is another issue...

that the FOUR DAYS I'm staying there might fall during a refill week. So now I can't go to a creative writing camp that I really wanted to go to, because of stupid ugly red bumps on my face.

to "comfort" me my mom says "Well there's always next year... unless the Good Lord comes between now and then, but then we've got other things to worry about." Of course I'm silent at this point because I'm pissed that YET AGAIN my acne is controlling my life, and she says "you follow?" I shrugged, and of course she's not too pleased.

In my life, acne is more controlling than religion. it's turned into a disease. I can't go out in the sun because of the meds, my skin is insanely dry, I'm getting nosebleeds, now I can't do something I wanted to do because of my freaking acne. acne is to me as the Church was to the people of the Middle Ages.

And to comfort me, my mom is using Christianity.

[/uglyemoatheist]

Can you talk to your doctor and ask how bad it would be if you were off it for a short period of time? That might let you assuage your mom's fears.

As for the acne, there are some stories of people who have gotten some improvement with a change of diet to something more health (less sugar/refined grains, more fruit/veg).

I don't know if it's possible Eric, since I just started taking it this month. And I did change my diet to less sugar, it did help but not a lot.

Also, if you explain that to your doctor, s/he can probably give you enough refills to last during that time. I'm on several medications, and they are always very good about making sure I have enough for summer and winter breaks, etc.