Goodbye Jesus

Emotional Education

Guest end3

I would like to discuss emotional education....

I was thinking of how, over my lifetime, that I have felt like revelations through the Holy Spirit, and the Bible, have opened up my understanding. Additionally, this process has been slow for me. Some of these would include a grace concept, the premarital sex thing, and more..... With that said, I am understanding our education system deals mainly with "physical" knowledge for lack of a better word.

Here's my point.....are we educating our children with respect to emotions?

If we educate children with an added emotional education, will these concepts develop sooner, before the many years it takes to bring them to "light/revelation" by experience?

What I am expressing as an emotional education would be teaching young children about their emotions and awareness.

I realize this is a lame post, but it has taken me many years to understand things that perhaps could have been taught to me as a child.

And the obvious comes to mind, has religion become the "fix" over time for this educational lapse?

I am not an educator, so I speak in ignorance......there may be many emotional curricula (hope that is the plural).

If there are not, is this proposal an impossibility?

It would take years to develop something like that, but it's an intriguing concept...

I would like to discuss emotional education....

I was thinking of how, over my lifetime, that I have felt like revelations through the Holy Spirit, and the Bible, have opened up my understanding. Additionally, this process has been slow for me. Some of these would include a grace concept, the premarital sex thing, and more..... With that said, I am understanding our education system deals mainly with "physical" knowledge for lack of a better word.

Here's my point.....are we educating our children with respect to emotions?

If we educate children with an added emotional education, will these concepts develop sooner, before the many years it takes to bring them to "light/revelation" by experience?

What I am expressing as an emotional education would be teaching young children about their emotions and awareness.

I realize this is a lame post, but it has taken me many years to understand things that perhaps could have been taught to me as a child.

And the obvious comes to mind, has religion become the "fix" over time for this educational lapse?

I am not an educator, so I speak in ignorance......there may be many emotional curricula (hope that is the plural).

If there are not, is this proposal an impossibility?

I think idea's around increasing a child's emotionl intelligence are around in UK schools and form part of PSE lessons. There is a lot of material out there already for addressing situations where children struggle with their emotions as well, but it is generally just a small part of the learning load, and doesn't equate I guess to the huge role emotions will play in a child's life.

The one thing about emotional situations however is that they are hard to truly understand theoretically - and experience often challenges the way we think we will feel in any given situation.

Some things only life can teach us.

I'm interested in your comment about revelation by the Holy Spirit. How do you account for these, these days? :)

(part of my deconversion involved having to re examine experinces I had previously attributed to supernatural intervention)

We talking socialization or cognitive development.....or something else entirely?

Alice,

I have answers to your questions, but will need to write those this evening...thanks for the response!

Doc,

I think in my mind, I am saying, approach the poor results we are experiencing, the reactionary, by educating children with basic concepts regarding their emotions, and additionally with some of the processes for understanding and dealing with them. I don't think it has to go too deep, but something like, "Sometimes we feel angry....anger is this....and some of our options to anger are this....." A cognitive approach I guess.

I think with children, things will click later on in life if we give them a little exposure. I think many parents, teachers, etc. do, but more would of helped me....

I also think it could be a bad idea in a hurry, but am waiting for someone to chime in and fix my faulty thinking...

You mean like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosocial_development

I think what you are talking about is more a product of the child's environment than any sort of curriculum. If children see productive approaches to anger modeled by the adults around them, they will learn 'this is what you do when you're angry'. Conversely, a child with a bad model will learn bad habits.

Alice,

I have answers to your questions, but will need to write those this evening...thanks for the response!

Doc,

I think in my mind, I am saying, approach the poor results we are experiencing, the reactionary, by educating children with basic concepts regarding their emotions, and additionally with some of the processes for understanding and dealing with them. I don't think it has to go too deep, but something like, "Sometimes we feel angry....anger is this....and some of our options to anger are this....." A cognitive approach I guess.

I think with children, things will click later on in life if we give them a little exposure. I think many parents, teachers, etc. do, but more would of helped me....

I also think it could be a bad idea in a hurry, but am waiting for someone to chime in and fix my faulty thinking...

End, I know we've banged heads in the past. You're onto a favourite subject of mine and I would like to point something out to you if you will listen. I understand I'm talking to a middle-aged man.

Okay, I understand you wish someone would have taught you to do your own thinking on the emotional level when you were little. But now you are asking to have your thinking fixed as an adult. Both thinking and feeling--emotions and the intellect--are required for the mature functioning of the human being.

The middle-aged person who blames all of his present problems either on his parents and teachers or on his present faulty knowledge may need to stop, take a deep breath, and then take personal responsibility for his own behaviour. End3, as a middle-aged man of average intellect and education, you are capable of reading and learning new information. You can look things up on the internet or in your public library and fill in your gaps of knowledge.

Waiting for OTHERS to fix your faulty knowledge is...just...plain....lazy.

Figure out what it is you want to learn, then find out where to learn it, then go learn it. YOU DO THE HARD WORK. That is how the adult world works, man.

I think my post is what's called "tough love."

I'm interested in your comment about revelation by the Holy Spirit. How do you account for these, these days? :)

(part of my deconversion involved having to re examine experinces I had previously attributed to supernatural intervention)

Hello Alice,

Going to spit the truth out here....you read well between the lines...

I have certainly had connections in thinking recently, but have not experienced the same feelings associated with when I perceive something to be from God. I get chill bumps and a "that's it" feeling or "what I just heard was for me" feeling when I perceive to have had one of those understandings.

I am a touch worried that I am not having these feelings as much, and woke up last Sunday morning thinking, "screw you organized religion, I am tired of the game". It has been several years since that was the first thing that popped into my head. I don't want to make ya'll puke, but I normally wake with a hymn in my head.

I am good at children's sermons because of my abstract thinking, it allows for lessons other than the norm...and has been something that I really enjoy...felt like I was to do that as well. Well, it has been fulfilled in my life. Given a few adult sermons, but was lacking. I know the feeling, but have a hard time flowering the speech.

Seems as though lately that I have just moved a step and left them playing the same games in the pews....no real hard feelings, because it was a path that I felt God wanted me to walk. I do know that there are some good people in the church and will participate until I just can't.

I have never perceived God to have let me down, and have been most fortunate in my life. I have had what I believe to be some hard times, but are probably mild in relative terms.

Truth is Alice, I don't know....I believe in the Christian God, but am coming to a point where I am just going to have to let it pan out and see where it goes...if I have something jump out at me, I will write.