Goodbye Jesus

My Tattoo...what Should I Do?

MonolithTMA

Greetings all. Years ago I designed a tattoo for myself. It's the circle in the middle of the pic below.

taodesktop.1.jpg

The kanji symbol is the center means Tao or Way, and I think we all know what the words surrounding it mean. I'd like to get another tat and I'd sort of like it to be sort of counteracting this one, but I don't really want to mar this one in anyway. Christianity, love it or hate, will always be a part of my past. I'm not a big fan of the scarlet "A" and, honestly I've been seriously considering the flying spaghetti monster, because to me it sort of says "you believe what you want, and I'll believe what I want."

The Tao tat is on my left arm and I have Kokopeli on my right.

I'm thinking of putting the FSM in close proximity to the Tao tat. Below is the one I'll use.

FSM.1.jpg

Any thoughts?

What makes that a christian tat? Tao is not necessarily religious by any means. I think it's cool.

The surrounding words mean only what you want them to mean. I did not automatically think "The Way. The Truth. The Life" = Christianity at all.

What makes that a christian tat? Tao is not necessarily religious by any means. I think it's cool.

The surrounding words mean only what you want them to mean. I did not automatically think "The Way. The Truth. The Life" = Christianity at all.

That is true. I'm pretty sure I've seen those words attributed to others that the Christ myth was based on. Thanks.

Agreed. That isn't automatically a Christian tat. If you want to affirm that fact, then yes, you can get another tattoo that is more obviously non-Christian. Though you're right, you don't have to change this one, or do anything to make up for this one. As it stands, it's more universal as compared to Christian.

Hey, if you decide you "really* don't like it, you can have it re-touched!

spartatat.jpg

Hey, if you decide you "really* don't like it, you can have it re-touched!

post-3528-1208909063_thumb.jpg

Awesome! I need to watch 300 again!

In juxtaposition to the kanji, I didn't either...

In juxtaposition to the kanji, I didn't either...

Well if it's good enough for GH... ;)

There's nothing more Un-xtian than Tao. I have a large yin-yang on my left arm that I treasure. Great tat, keep it bro.

Alrighty, I think I will put the FSM somewhere else then.

Thanks for everyone's input.

When I was at my most hardcore, I wanted to get tatted all over with Christian tatts.

But then one day I got the impression that God didn't want me to have any tatts at all. Why, I don't know. I was 18. For years afterwards I agonized that He didn't want me to have any tatts.

Towards the end, when I became more and more disobedient and casual about everything, I started contemplating getting tatts again. I still am. One I'm pretty sure on, because I've contemplated it for many years, is an anarchist bomb (you know, the black ball with the fuse sticking out the top) on my bicep. So that one would be a go, just because I've never been fickle about it.

The one Christian tatt, towards the end, that I really was thinking about was getting a Roman gladius on the inside of my right forearm with the tip at my wrist and the pommel coming to my inner elbow. There would be some kind of Latin inscription on it of scripture, likely relating to the sword of the spirit. It would have represented my self-image as a spiritual warfare elite commando, the thin green line between ordinary Christians and satan's evil minions.

I still like the idea of getting a sword somewhere, though I might change it to a Viking sword. Either that or a Varangian breidox (that is, a big-ass axe). 1) I've always been fascinated with the Norse even though I don't have one drop of Scandinavian blood (unless there's some Norskie on my Scots-Irish side going back to the 10th century). 2) The Vikings remained heathen the longest, as far as Western Europe goes. Now, I'm not at all into paganism or Asatru or anything. To me it's just stories, just like Lord of the Rings or Song of Fire and Ice.

I think also... Heironymus Bosch did this painting where it was this big black vortex and angels and demons were thrashing around, and there was a glowing light in the center of the vortex. That motherfucker was way ahead of his time! Some seriously intense shit. (He's the one who did "Garden of Earthly Delights.") He's my favorite Reformation-era painter. I might get that on my upper arm to signify all the madness I endured for all those years.

Also, I might get some Greek debauchery scene from off a pottery piece to honor the woman who deflowered, sexually healed, and trained me at the age of 28. Although my current girlfriend might not dig it, so....