Goodbye Jesus

Have You Joined Any Causes...

L.B.

There might be other choices (feel free to share them), but I'm curious: Has anyone joined a cause or adopted a new philosophy since leaving Xtianity? In my case, I have become nearly 100% vegan and have begun investigating animal cruelty cases and looking into volunteering/lobbying for humane organizations. I was motivated first by my love for my kids, who love animals (because there's a notoriously under-managed prison of a 'zoo' near where I live and I couldn't bear to take them to see it). I was further motivated because my health concerns have led me to investigate what and how I eat and how it's all produced. Thirdly, I was motivated precisely BECAUSE most Christians I met didn't give a shit and couldn't be bothered to learn a thing about these causes.

Who else? Have you adopted or rejected any ideologies, causes or attitudes because you were Christian or because you are now no longer Christian?

I'm a feminist now. Ooga booga! :fdevil:

The Church's treatment of women is what turned me in the opposite direction. There had to be a fairer way.

I joined Rotary. At its core is the concept of service above self, in the local community, internationally, and in one's profession.

The only "doctrine" (for want of a better word) is something called the 4-way test.

"In everything I do or say, I will ask myself the following questions before I do it or say it:

Is it the TRUTH?

Is it FAIR to all concerned?

Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?

Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

Easy to say, and a challenge to live by.

Rotary is essentially about trying to make the world a better place, and it's all based on individual observation and passion. For example, neighbors may observe that the grass has grown high in someone's yard, and the home may be in complete disrepair, and angrily complain to the local officials about the eyesore and property values going down. A Rotarian will look at the same house, and knock on the door to see what's wrong, find out that an elderly woman lives there whose husband recently passed away, bring the situation back to the Rotary club, and the next thing you know, the entire club shows up at the home to give it a makeover. All for free, with no strings attached.

Rotary, although not a religious organization, to me embodies the words that Christian churches spout, but don't live by.

Rob

Not much of a joiner. I did a summer internship for an anti nuke lobby in DC a decade or so ago. That gave me a pretty clear view how donation dollars get spent and how little effect the voice small groups have on issues that don't have populist appeal. That was enough for me.

That said, groups getting together on issues that do hold popular appeal have done a wonderful job at making the rest of our lives miserable for the large part. Just ask MADD. Though I'm sure there are a few groups out there that are both effective and that don't ruin things for the rest of us. The ACLU hits it right 2-3 times out of ten or so.

Actually, I think my experience with religion soured me from joining groups and causes. I went to a communist meeting once just for the hell of it. While the members had a collective IQ that was at least triple your average Baptist congregation, I still felt as if I were sitting in a revival tent meeting given all the faith, group think, and misguided idealism I was bathed in for two hours. And, they even passed around a collection plate if you can believe it.

I've been very active in pro-choice groups since I was in high school (back in my catholic days I was staunchly anti-choice - I really regret things I said and did back then). That's probably the most important cause to me.

Was active in the Gay-Straight Alliance in high school (needless to say I used to have the catholic viewpoint).

I also am very supportive towards animal rights - can't say my church really had a stance on the issue, but I remember back when I was being prepared for my communion my teacher told me "No animals go to heaven" and I was upset by it.

There might be other choices (feel free to share them), but I'm curious: Has anyone joined a cause or adopted a new philosophy since leaving Xtianity? In my case, I have become nearly 100% vegan and have begun investigating animal cruelty cases and looking into volunteering/lobbying for humane organizations. I was motivated first by my love for my kids, who love animals (because there's a notoriously under-managed prison of a 'zoo' near where I live and I couldn't bear to take them to see it). I was further motivated because my health concerns have led me to investigate what and how I eat and how it's all produced. Thirdly, I was motivated precisely BECAUSE most Christians I met didn't give a shit and couldn't be bothered to learn a thing about these causes.

Who else? Have you adopted or rejected any ideologies, causes or attitudes because you were Christian or because you are now no longer Christian?

I support queer rights in general with a particular focus on bisexual and gender dysphoria/trans issues. For a while I led a youth group of sorts for young people between 18 and 25 questioning their sexuality, that was affiliated with Bi NSW. I loved this although it was difficult - I still keep in close contact with a few of these young people. Some have discovered they are straight, some have discovered they are gay, some have discovered they are bi, and across the spectrum there have been a few who are transitioning their gender.

I also support research into HIV financially, as well as research into cures for cancer. HIV is a particular issue that is close to my heart - although I am not HIV positive myself I have a few close friends who are. I think research for cures for cancer is just a good thing to support even though it hasn't affect myself or anyone close to me.

I support Christian charities called St Vincent De Paul (Vinnies for short) and the Salvation Army - actually more so than when I was a Christian. Although I disagree strongly with their religious viewpoints now, I think these two charities do a great job of supporting those in desperate need with food, clothing and shelter, without forcing their religious dogma down people's throats. I support these charities with leftover goods that they either give to people in need or sell in their shops. I buy from their shops too.

I support a homless shelter too - I am going to start volunteering there again soon.

I'm not a joiner, either.

Well, you could say I'm apathetically unopposed to abortion. And I'm okay with GLBT. My girlfriend's bi, in fact.

Also, I'm ardently green, although I was that way as a Christian. I was also a proponent of secularism in public life, and religion maintaining a seperate sphere. My views haven't changed that much, really.

ExChristian.net. and other means to learn about and undermine the power of fundamentalist religion.

Oh, I forgot - I'm also a member of People for the American Way.

I am more openly liberal, I think. I held a lot of positions but didn't speak up about them, and now I say something where before I wouldn't. Of course, my coming of age occurred about the time I left the faith, so it may have just been maturity starting to poke through.

helped to ban Bespersol B, by adding my name to a poll. I've had it up to here with peddlers of poison, poisoning the children of God. lol.